Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle Stadium D.O.N

That's Dragonball Z, One Piece and Naruto for the non-anime fan

Got this on Saturday and haven't seen a first play thread so I thought I'd start one.

Basically if you take Super Smash Bros, take out the Nintendo/game characters and pull some from Jump Superstars, you are left with DON.
    The fighting system is simple but effective:

A - jump
    B - attack (press 3 times for a 3-hit combo etc)
    X - special (Kagebunshin for Naruto, kick combos for Sanji etc)
    Y - super special (Raengan for Naruto, Chidori for Sasuke, super Kamehameha for Goku etc)
    Z - throw
    R/L - block

Basically, if you've played SSB, you'll be in familiar territory.

The main area of the game is the 1 player mode where you battle with your chosen character through various stages pulled from the 3 series in either 2, 3 or 4 man fight.
    The stages differ in that some are stationary and some will move either vertically or horizontally.

Some of the stages require you to fulfill specific missions (finish with a special, don't use your special, beat everyone within a certain time etc) that will unlock coins for use in the slot machine once you beat the boss.
    This is one of the negatve aspects to the game - there are 12 (or is that 14? can't remember!) characters at the start but a good lot more to unlock (Lee, Garra, Nami, Trunks etc) but this can only be done by playing the slot machine and matching 3 Jump logos which is time consuming and a bit annoying.

Other than that though (and the omission of any Bleach characters!), the game is well worth a look although, as with other anime-based games, fans of the series in question will get the most out of the game.

Good news about unlockable characters there. The default seems a bit sparce, though quite how they'd implement characters like Nami I don't know.

Such a madness concept really, because if we're talking who would win, the DBZ characters (from later in the series anyway) would win before the other guys knew there they were! Can't see that arrogant rubberman Luffy standing up to a Kamehameha, after all, can't do much against an attack that can destroy planets...

Either way, intend to get this!

Comment

You don't happen to know if this is compatible with the Freeloader do you mate? Would prefer to get the Cube version, but will probably cave in and get the PS2 if I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moss
        You don't happen to know if this is compatible with the Freeloader do you mate? Would prefer to get the Cube version, but will probably cave in and get the PS2 if I have to.
        Yep, I got the GC version myself and it works fine with the Freeloader.
        Apparently the GC version is in stock generally more than the PS2 one aswell. It was released a couple of days earlier too.

Comment

Anyone know if the PS2 version supports progressive scan?

Comment

Working...
          X