Field Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Commander

I gather that this is out now in the UK. I did a search but couldn't find a thread.

I notice that it has a very decent MetaScore of 80% odd so is it not, as some people were expecting, 'a poor man's Advance Wars'?

Anyone played it? Anyone got it?

I got the US version about a month ago from YesAsia.

It's good overall, graphically not superb and not as good character art as AW for instance. The look is more gritty and realistic in a sense.
    I've done about 10 or so missions, but there's no soul man! its a bit sterile.
    Apparently the online multiplayer options are good, although I haven't bothered yet as I didn't fancy playing against americans.

I got this as a stopgap for when I could get a DS lite and then some proper Advance Wars DS action. Since I've been playing Dual Strike this hasn't got a look in.

Advance Wars is probably my favourite ever game/s so it was never going to be as good as them in my eyes, however it is a pretty good imitation if you don't have a GBA or DS.

Comment

Thanks Doodledude. Sounds like I'll stick with AW.

Out of interest - are the play mechanics very similar?

Comment

Had I owned a PSP this game may have been one of the first I would've picked up, so I'm interested to hear anything about it with having had a keen eye on it and am intrigued to see how its turned out.

Comment

I got this a couple of months back and i sold it a couple of weeks ago. It's decent and the game mechanics are almost identicle to AW but it just doesn't have the same charm.
          I also found it rather slow, especially atthe begining and the swooping 3D camera just adds to this.

If you love AW (like i do) and need another dose of turn based strategy then you may enjoy it but it left me a bit cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratso
            Thanks Doodledude. Sounds like I'll stick with AW.

Out of interest - are the play mechanics very similar?
            no problem.

Play-wise its almost identical. Powers and super powers seem to play less of a part in the play. Initially I thought there were some new and different vehicles to those in Advance Wars, however once I got to play Dual Strike it turned out they were all lifted from Advance Wars!
            You still capture bases or wipe out the opponents to win though.

Comment

Working...
            X