Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Nope, not a FP on the PSOne version of the game, which up until a few days ago I wasn't even aware this was a port!

I don't normally get "into" RPGs as such, I tend to get so far and get bored, but lately my patience must be on the increase or I'm playing the right type of RPG because I'm really, really enjoying this.

Bear with me, I'll do my best to explain how the game works. Basically, you control a goddess, whose task is to recruit souls for a war. So off you plod across the lands searching for souls who might fit the criteria to fight in the Asgard War. You fly high above the terrain, press the start button to make a spiritual connection to your next potential hero and visit the land to recruit him or her. From there, you play the Chapter(s) out training them up in battle, increasing they're stats and traits and then should the requirement be there (or you just want rid), you send them packing to Asgard (don't worry, you get them all back in the end unless you've sent underpowered characters, in which case, they'll probably be dead!)

The game is spread across 8 chapters each divided into 24 periods each I believe. Each period is registered when you visit a part of the land, so for example, you visit 8 areas, but spend time searching for artifacts on the same two a few times, it would register it as 15 periods elapsed.

As a goddess, you have the characters you recruited as part of your party and each one is assigned to a button the PSP, which opens the ability to combo-attack by breaking a guard of a dragon for example using Jelanda's "Fire Storm" then getting the remaining characters to attack with their weapons, do this and you are given the opportunity to use a "Purify" strike.

There is quite a bit I've missed out (Transmutating items et cetra), which I have no clue about just yet, but I'm sure some of you guys here can put me straight on how a few the things work in the game.

Bought it two weeks ago, sold it a week ago. I've been playing RPGs all my life, starting with Phantasia on Atari XE. I played through billions of them, saving the world again and again. I rank Summoner, with its bad generic system, as one of my favorite games, purely because of the story. Yet this game managed to get me bored.

1. No plot - beside 45 minutes introduction and cutscenes in every chapter detailing particular character death, you get no plot development whatsoever. When I read "Go get Odin warriors" I though it meant "Go get Odin warriors, in the meantime get plot twists, story unfolds, etc.". Nope, the game is "Get Odin warriors...that's it.". Me being spoiled by Final Fantasy is not an excuse, every cRPG also follows FF way of plot development i.e. plot develops during your play. I played to chapter 4, 15 hours, and there was nothing!

2. Pointless dungeons - they serve no purpose then to lvl up your characters. No plot development here, beside three sentences explaining the dungeon.

3. Easy as hell - played Hard mode, no "Slayer" weapons i.e. killing particular monster in one shot. I one-shot everyone (Jelanda's Fire Storm, then Lighting Bolt), bosses took 1-2 turns to die (getting 4xPWS is painfully easy).

Truth be told, I got tired playing this game - something that never happened to me before. I will get VP:Silmeria, as I heard it's plot development is similar to FFs, and other cRPGs.

Comment

Been playing this since it came out and have almost completed it and have really enjoyed it I have the PSone version but never got round to playing it. The way the game works is very well done you get see the final few days of your characters lives before you recruit them and then visit the duengeons to power them up so you can then send them up to asgard but you must send up a character that matches freya's requirements. I have really enjoyed the battle system and the way in which encounters are handled no random battles, once an enemy is defeated they do not reappear even if you save and return latter.

Originally posted by Castor Krieg
      1. No plot - beside 45 minutes introduction and cutscenes in every chapter detailing particular character death, you get no plot development whatsoever. When I read "Go get Odin warriors" I though it meant "Go get Odin warriors, in the meantime get plot twists, story unfolds, etc.". Nope, the game is "Get Odin warriors...that's it.". Me being spoiled by Final Fantasy is not an excuse, every cRPG also follows FF way of plot development i.e. plot develops during your play. I played to chapter 4, 15 hours, and there was nothing!
      I disagree there is a very interesting storyline involving Lenneth herself which actually starts in chapter 4 when you visit 2 of the locations revealed to you at the begining of the chapter. Watch the Prologue which you can access on the main menu for an idea.

Originally posted by Bleeders
      There is quite a bit I've missed out (Transmutating items et cetra), which I have no clue about just yet, but I'm sure some of you guys here can put me straight on how a few the things work in the game.
      All this does is allow Lenneth to convert items into better items there is also an item called the creation jem which when equipped allows Lenneth to create items which cannot be aquired any other way it's worth pointing out though that you do no have to worry about it to finish the game but you will need it on the hard mode only duengeons and the bonus duengeon.
      Last edited by Prof Frink; 04-08-2006, 21:49.

Comment

Was looking for the original psone version it seems to go for large sums of money on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
          Was looking for the original psone version it seems to go for large sums of money on ebay
          The english version of the game got a limited print run in the US and didn't sell too well and it's become rare it's the PSone's Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'm glad it's been re-released as it's great game something different for the JRPG genre and people can now play it without paying a king's ransom.

Comment

Been playing this a little between bouts of UGnG and EEE. I'm not too far into it, currently at the stage where I can explore the land freely. I'm not a massive RPG fan, but every so often I really get into one game and this is one of them. I think the last ones that really sucked me in were Golden Sun and FF Tactics on the GBA. The weird thing is I wouldn't play these games if they were on a full blown console, but for some reason as they are handheld games I seem to give them more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof Frink
              I disagree there is a very interesting storyline involving Lenneth herself which actually starts in chapter 4 when you visit 2 of the locations revealed to you at the begining of the chapter. Watch the Prologue which you can access on the main menu for an idea.
              I did watch the prologue. Even if the story started in Chapter 4, that's ~15-17h into the game, something unacceptable for me.

The battle system is awesome, and I know of many who enjoy VP1, for the rest be warned: the game is painfully slow to develop.

Comment

Never finished the PS1 vers, last time I played it through was with someone else and we spent ages stuck on one boss, only to find out after we'd given up that it was an optional boss... sigh.

Anyway, came back from a weekend away to find this awaiting, and just had a quick bash now. Still looks and sounds as nice as I remember - didn't exactly get far (forgot how drawn out the cut-scenes are), but looking forwards to sinking my teeth into it. Plus I've finally got the cajones to try it on hard

Comment

Just finished this game - took about 50 hours all up - although it seems there is a extra dungeon to do after you finish the game.

I really enjoyed this RPG - it had some really cool play mechanics, the combat was simple yet had depth the more you played. It drew me in and wanted me to see it though to the end.

There were a few negatives, the manual is ****e, doesn't explain half the game and you're never really sure a lot of the time what to do next. The story was a bit wacky and there were a lot of bits that weren't explained very well at all. I had to use FAQS a lot on this game which I don't like doing but some dungeons bugged the hell out of me.

All in all though a better than average JRPG - 7/10 for me I reckon.

The PSP is a great console for these types of games - there just aren't enough of them, I hope we'll see a lot more kick arse RPG's on the NGP.

Comment

Working...
                  X