Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

This game is astoundingly pretty. In terms of graphical structure, the comparisons with Tri-Ace's Radiata Stories are well obvious - I'm not sure but it looks like a refined version of the same graphical engine for the exploration scenes, but the use of more detailed textures transforms Radiata's storybook visuals into something far different. From the opening cinematics it's not entirely convincing that the game really follows the style of its PS1 predecessor, as great as the character models look. But as soon as the game gives you control, it's unmistakably Valkyrie Profile.

The game is essentially two-dimensional, just as Valkyrie Profile was, and it controls in exactly the same way with the protagonist, Alicia/Silmeria, moving aolong a horizontal path and being able to interact with doors/people in the fore/background. Yet, like Radiata Stories, this linear path is not straight, curving around buildings and roads, making it visually more exciting than the original. It seems like such a natural update of the old VP style for the new generation (late as it may arrive in this gen).

Obviously, the whole game is in japanese, so most of the plot is lost on my non-comprehending ears, but the immediate premise of where the game begins is that Silmeria is imprisoned in the body of Alicia, a princess of the kingdom of Dipan. Silmeria shares Alicia's schizophrenic body, with one personality being dominant at a time, so in the cutscenes you hear her personalities switch as her voice and behaviour changes. It's a nice effect, though of course I have no idea how it plays out in the script. So far it seems like a more conventional storyline than VP, with the plot opening with her embarking on an exploration with both mortal and einherjar allies. Recruiting einherjar seems much briefer than before, connecting with them through the weapons or artifacts they leave behind, though there are glimpses of their experiences in some cutscenes. Still not seen much yet, I'm only a little bit in.

Combat initially seems a bit overwhelming and a lot of a change - the simple 2D affairs are now three-dimensional, but only in some aspects. Encountering an enemy (as before, no random encounters; touching foes or slashign them with a sword engages battle) switches to a fully rendered 3D area with several enemies, each with a red area of attack. Allow them to move into a position where you're in this area and you get attacked, simple. Yet enemies can only move when you move, so there is an element of tactics in getting around their attacks as there is a dash command that lets Alicia/Silmeria et al move without any enemies moving, at the expense of move points that would otherwise be used for attacking. Move into attack range and it all becomes very familiar - character attacks are assigned to each face button, as before, and you can happily combo away. So far I'm not at a high enough level to fill the combo meter for divine special attacks, nor am I really struggling for move points since mycombos have few hits, so things are quite easy once you get the hang of things, but I fully expect thigns to get a bit more hectic later on. If VP is anything to go by, the stats and numbers will get silly later on.

So is it any fun? well, yes, but then I'm a big VP fan, and this is the sort of game that really panders to fans of the original. It's like tri-Ace have teased us for so long with little teasers and now they've released the big on that really appeals to us. Personally, I didn't feel VP needed a sequel, but so far this feels like a very competent way forward. It feels like a really good way to move the series on to a second step. I haven't played much at all, it must be said, but Silmeria feels so far to be a bit more conventional than VP, but still is something that will appeal primarily to a few, mainly the followers of the original.

I've just got the US version. I'm on chapter 3 at the moment and enjoying it so far. I'll post again once I get a bit farther on.

Comment

i have been playing this quite a bit and really enjoying the combat (can be a bit frustrating against the bosses though)

One thing i am incredibly puzzled about is in the shop why i cannot buy a falchion even though i have the money and all the parts needed to make it

Comment

All you do is sell him the parts for the falchion.

Comment

Played this alot over the weekend

The combat is just so good racking up a huge amount of hits on the enemy and smashing them to pieces

Comment

... and getting the right items. There sure is a lot of them, how do they come up with some of those names anyway ?

Never had the chance to play the original but this is a pretty good game on itself. Maybe the most fun free roaming battle RPG I played to date and it looks very lush and Vagrant Story like. Good thing too I don?t mind fiddling for hours with all the options and trying item combinations and stuff. It?s quite deep but so far very balanced.

Loving it.

Comment

there seems to be a lot of items i am missing to make stuff

I am upto the stage after the volcano and yet there is still many weapons/armour etc in the previous 3 villages that i cannot make as i am lacking the items

Comment

can't get the game to output progressive video! WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli
                  can't get the game to output progressive video! WTF?
                  Hold Triangle and X when the PS2 Logo appears keep them held down until you get asked if you want to play in progessive scan.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof Frink
                    Hold Triangle and X when the PS2 Logo appears keep them held down until you get asked if you want to play in progessive scan.
                    thanks! but, oh my, when will they ever change this? why can't they just include the video output setting into the in-game options? i mean, what's the trick?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli
                      thanks! but, oh my, when will they ever change this? why can't they just include the video output setting into the in-game options? i mean, what's the trick?
                      Agreed Tri-Ace do it in all there games and is annoying doing it everytime you start the game up.

Comment

Just received my US copy today and played about an hour of it earlier. Exceptionally good-looking game and so far seems to play really nicely. Combat is a lot more involved than the first but I'm sure it'll flow much more naturally after a bit. I rate the first one among my all-time favourites and from what little I've seen so far enough of the gameplay that sold me on the first has been retained while adding extra layers to make it fresh. Typical that the three new games I've been looking forward to for years I end up getting in the space of a month...

Comment

...the other two being ? (jc)

Currently roaming the Castle of the Venerated Dragon, slightly overpowered due to some grinding necessary to get the juicy items....juicy. Love getting the high combo's, some of the attacks really slam dunk your opponent over and over and it looks really bad ass.. or something. Just too bad some of the Einherjars special attacks are the same though. All in all still a very pleasant 'surprise', it makes me neglect my copy of FFXII which arrived two days ago and that's probably saying something...

So far I'm giving it five stars out of one full moon.

Comment

The other two are Phantasy Star Universe and Final Fantasy XII (I don't do it by halves when it comes to waiting for new instalments!).

Loving the tactical nature of the combat in Silmeria, very few RPGs actually take into account the positions of your team and in this one it's often vital. It continues to impress visually, which just adds more weight to the argument that this generation of machines is being shunted out way too early.

Heck, even the voice acting is reasonable.

Comment

Question: does it play exactly like VP1, or does it have a flow similar to FF series? Asking cause VP1 proved to be a big disappointment, can't stand constant grinding the dungeons and the only plot elements are those 5min getting different characters. Don't argue, I've done that enough, I just don't dig VP1. But I heard VP2 flow is different, can anyone confirm that?

Comment

Working...
                              X