PSP Moto GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSP Moto GP

Only managed 40 minutes on this before work. Personally been waiting for a good handheld Moto GP game since the year dot. Menu?s etc are about 60% English and 40% Japanese (Japanese bits are the bike stats and setup, all the options.), sure I?ll work them all out over the weekend ? USA version is down to come out in a fortnight btw.

Anyway, the game, as you?d expect from Namco, nice and slick front-end. The game is very similar to it?s previous PS2 incarnations (which is not a bad thing). The game uses 2005 rider/manufacturer data, so it?s fairly current.

Graphically ? bit blocky at times, tyres etc can look sometimes look a bit square, bike themselves are well detailed though, I?ve not seen any slowdown yet, even with a dozen bikes on screen ? a full grid is 22 bikes. Couple of in game shots here, courtesy of a guy from gamefaqs.

Sound ? not bad, bit tinny through PSP speaker, improved via headphones.

Gameplay ? four views available, behind rider, further behind bike, rider view, front wheel view. You can use either dpad or nub for steering, nub works really well imo. Control is as realistic as bike games go, nice touches of the bike weaving under heavy braking etc. Usual game types of Arcade/ Season/ Time Trial etc. Race lengths seem to offer 2 laps, 5 laps or full race distance, so, importantly for a handheld, 5 minute blasts are possible. Collision detection is quite lenient, a collision with other riders means a small bump and loss of speed, it?s the same for both bikes involved so benefit to the AI

Think I?ve covered the basics so far, pleased to say the game seems to live up to the hype so far, time will tell.

Thinking about getting this. Is it true that there are only 8 tracks?

Comment

Unfortunately yes.

Two things I forgot to mention earlier, replays are great, you can change camera angle, save them for later viewing etc. Loading times are bit of a pain, not woeful but certainly noticeable.

Comment

The tyre looks like a octagon! EDIT, perhaps i was harsh and it's a pentagon!

Comment

8 tracks is a bit of a shocker? You'd think with them having done the PS2 games they would use the track info and it would be an easy build?

Although looking at those screenshots, it's obvious the PSP is anything but a handheld PS2. There is a gulf of difference in visual quality.

I was looking forward to this game but the lack of tracks means it's a no no for me sadly.

Comment

Any one still playing this. Thinking about getting the US version which is out next week.......Btw movietyme have it for ?22 inc P&P.

Comment

Must admit Japanese menu's really did my head in, will definately pick up an English language version, may only be eight tracks, but if you like your Moto GP games, this is the best handheld one by far.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                may only be eight tracks, but if you like your Moto GP games, this is the best handheld one by far.
                Are there any other handheld MotoGP games?

Comment

Yes - there's MotoGP for the N-Gage and GBA and MotoGP 2 for mobile phones.

Comment

Well I'm shocked - it didn't occur to me that anyone would put the MotoGP name on a game for a handheld with less 3D capabilities than the PSP. I just saw the review of the GBA one on IGN and it looked fun until I read that it has very limited save capability. OTOH the cover art features the last time the number 46 was on yellow paintwork

I've been greatly enjoying MotoGP4 on the PS2, but finding console time for it has been hard recently, maybe I'll pick up this PSP incarnation as a workaround.

Comment

My us version arrived on Saturday and i am really like this game. Have never played any of the console version before but this looks and plays very well. Hats of to namco!
                      role on Ace combat...............

Comment

Yes my USA version arrived last week, so much nicer to play knowing what all the options/menu's mean

It's about as good as a PS2 conversion you are going to get on the PSP, and still recommended for any bike racing fans.

Comment

Working...
                        X