Mario Hoops 3 on 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario Hoops 3 on 3

Just got this today. Fantastic. Very impressed so far.

God it's been yeeeeeeeeeaers since I last played a basketball game. Think it was some Master System game with werewolves in it. So I was following this ever since I saw some video for it. Been so stoked for getting it. Normally I avoid sports games like a bad cold, but this one is so vibrant and outrageous. Not to mention the oh so simple controls.

First off I was struck by the solidness of the enviroments as well as the traditional Mario themed worlds and music. Everything is so new while being so familiar. Which for me is inviting.

You start with a basic tutorial which explains dunks, shots, dribbles and steals. From here you can jump straight to the first cup. Mushroom cup. Initially I was overwhelmed. The control pad moves your player while the stylus performs actions. The L button switches between players. After the 1st match everything settles wonderful though. The games are so smooth and fluid. Their a joy to play as they are to watch.

Maybe more impressions later, just finished the 1st cup and want to see what Square have to offer.

Get this game though.

Thanks for the impressions mate. Got this on order to review so am really looking forward to it now. )
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Really disappointed with this game. Seems very shallow and simple. It?s also very easy and if you keep doing the special move you can?t lose.

Verdict: Save your money

Comment

More impressions please, taurusnipple!

I want to get this tomorrow as it's totally up my street - but quite a few reviews/forums are saying how ridiculously hard/unfair it is. Hard - I like, unfair - no thanks!

I won't have a problem with the controls - they look great, but the Mario-fied unfairness sometimes puts me off in said games.

The only exception I've seen is smokedog, who says it's too easy!?!

Comment

can u play this online? on a pal uk DS? im a huge basketball fan and play in a league and street 3v3 tourniments and ive dreamed of a game like this since playing nba street v3,

Comment

No online just local play

Comment

does the game include online play at all even in the us?

Comment

OK.

Just completed the 2nd tourney and felt a steady pressure towards the end of the game. Nothing sudden at all.

The game isn't just about power moves either, as Smokedog mentioned. In fact, the final court on tourney #2 requires you to shoot the net at a distance. Actually, it's not a net, it's a Piranna plant. Get close and power dunk him and you get bitten see.

Worth noting that it's not just a case of shooting the ball in the net. To get more points you have to bounce the ball on a falshing square which gives coins. The more coins you get the more points your awarded. So it's worth dribbling the ball around the court before a shot.

I just had a thrilling final on the cup match. The scores were tight and I was collecting as many coins as possible before my shot. However, my opponent was doing a great job defending and I lost the ball. Then they were dribbling around collecting coins (and getting too close to my net) Thankfully I stole the ball from them and collected more coins! And then they fired a lucky green shell! And then I switched off to another player and stole the ball again! At this point it was too much, I pegged it to shot range, fired off quickly and got lucky. Piranna was sleeping!

The game has frantic moments. High pace and tight games. It can seem one sided but if you play it right you can have memorable moments. From what I gather, I'm assuming an almost Mario Kart Double Dash type of unfairness later on?

Comment

Don't be put off by the difficulty. I completed the final cup against the Final Fantasy guys on my first attempt. I'd say it got harder on the final match of a cup, which is a given (like any other game you pussys). The people whining about it's difficulty haven't put any effort into the game.

As a tip, It's easy to keep the ball on one team member, but pass it around. Learn to block, intercept and learn the special moves.

Comment

Originally posted by taurusnipple
                    Don't be put off by the difficulty. I completed the final cup against the Final Fantasy guys on my first attempt. I'd say it got harder on the final match of a cup, which is a given (like any other game you pussys). The people whining about it's difficulty haven't put any effort into the game.

As a tip, It's easy to keep the ball on one team member, but pass it around. Learn to block, intercept and learn the special moves.
                    I bought this yesterday after your comments, thanks - great little game.

I've just finished the second cup and opened up a couple of characters.

The controls are great, it really works well seperating the player movement and (character's) hand movement. I haven't gone through any of the special moves for the characters yet - just been concentrating on moving the ball around the court, using each character's speciality i.e. Diddy Kong = speed etc and grabbing as many coins as possible, before unleashing shots.

A real bugger it doesn't have download play for the B-Ball though

Comment

Right now I've unlocked Hard mode and completed the 1st cup on it. The difficulty is as hard as the final match on Hard I'd say.

The only fault I have with this game is the replays. It shows your dunk in the basket but where is everybody else? The engine doesn't show any other players despite the fact that they SHOULD appear in the shot. Real shame that, the last few moves of a lucky basket are well worth a gloat.

Kramer, thank you for the complement

Comment

Is this released in the UK in November and called Mario Slam Basketball instead?

Comment

Got my copy today. Awesome stuff! The graphics are incredible. Square-Enix have done an incredible job of squeezing that much out of the DS.

Controls can be a little complex but after about an hour you really start getting into the dunking groove.

Highly recommended!

Comment

I got this today and the first time I played it I had a huge smile.

I never realised how unresponsive the DS' D-pad diagonals are though, until now.

Comment

I have the same problem on the DS Lite. DS Phat works fine, though that may be due to Bleach... Regardless, playing with a Lite - I'd have to be somewhat firmer.

Still stuck on Hard Rainbow vs the Final Fantasy team. Rightly hard being the last team on that setting, so no complaints

Comment

Working...
                              X