Another Code: Recollection [NSW]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Code: Recollection [NSW]

Bit of a weird one here; developer Cing are long gone, but publisher Nintendo have taken two of their games (from the DS and Wii respectively), smushed them into one, and rebuilt them seemingly from the ground up. I've never played the originals, but I do love me some Cing.

I'm coming at this very much from the perspective of how they exist today, which is with you mostly wandering Ashley about in third person perspective, but with infrequent moments having you see through her eyes in first person. It's worth noting that the camera hugs quite close to the character and the default camera settings are very sluggish; I would absolutely recommend cranking those right up from the off.

Even doing this, it is absolutely not a game for the impatient. It is often slow, story progression is sparing, and it is not afraid to make you backtrack between locations. I will not lie - I have caught myself falling asleep playing it twice already. But that said, it's... also pretty damn charming, has a really nice look to it, and I've enjoyed some of its puzzles. I am keen to see where the story goes, and that's before even getting to the second game.​

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    I'm coming at this very much from the perspective of how they exist today, which is with you mostly wandering Ashley about in third person perspective, but with infrequent moments having you see through her eyes in first person.​
    Doesn't sound too far from the original then, only with a different perspective when moving. I loved all adventures by Cing and Hotel Dusk still has the best puzzle on the DS for me, my copy has shipped and will play it again. I wanted them to have the game as black-and-white drawn art like the original, though.

Comment

Finished the first game the other day and it is a very smooth, natural transition over to the second one. The break in terms of story telling is clear as day, but the more realistic goal here has clearly been to bring them both up to a certain standard so they can run side by side with matching presentation, and I feel they've nailed it.

Comment

Oh this is both games? Nice, I thought it was just the first remade.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Oh this is both games? Nice, I thought it was just the first remade.
          Yeah, worth noting though that I don't remember seeing any option to choose which one you play - you have to do them in sequence from what I can tell!

Cing have a really patchy history with where they release their games; I didn't realise before that the Wii game never went to the US. It's the same deal with the Hotel Dusk follow-up The Last Window, which was release in Japan and PAL territories only. If this was selling gangbusters I'd put money on THE KYLE HYDE CHRONICLES becoming a possibility, but for now we cross our fingers and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            Cing have a really patchy history with where they release their games;
            It's entirely Nintendo's fault for that, particulary NOA and Reggie, who, for some reason, thought some games were beneath their platforms, which includes Distaster Day Of Crisis and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
            X