Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth [PS4/PS5/XB1/XS/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth [PS4/PS5/XB1/XS/PC]

Or, Yakuza 8 to its friends. I figure a good few of us will be playing this for some time to come, so let's have a thread.

After the relatively brief side-story in 'The Man Who Erased His Name', this is the next fully-fledged game in the series. Initial impressions are: "bloody hell, this thing is big". I can't remember exactly how it all played out in 7 time-wise, but this time I'm about 14 hours in, currently in chapter 4... and yet I only have just 3 party members, no access to change jobs/classes, and still with new systems still being piled on top of one another at every turn.

Along with the critical path, there's the usual mass of side missions, a whole new social network to build, and then the range and depth of other ways to occupy your time has gone through the absolute roof, to the point that calling them 'minigames' feels like doing them a disservice. There's Crazy Delivery, which is Deliveroo by way of Crazy Taxi. Sicko Snap is the game's take on Pokémon Snap; an on-rails photography game where you have to document exhibitionists gyrating in their smalls. I just got to the Sujimon game, the game's take on the standard Pokémon format which seems to run incredibly deep, and I know I've still got the entire of "Dondoko Island" (read: Animal Crossing) to come. Arcade games this time include Sega Bass Fishing, Virtua Fighter 3 TB, and Spikeout too.

Story-wise I'm not really sure what to make of it just yet, but I am slightly thrown by what I'd consider to be a fairly major point relative to a key character (that I only got to after about 8 hours!) being one of the things that the team gave away in a presentation of the game months before its release. The key talking point that isn't a secret though is that there is a prominent new location - Hawaii - where things take place. Environments in this series are a big deal, so expanding out like this feels like a major step - there's some artificial barriers up early on, so it's tough to say exactly how big things are, but it is nice to be in a totally different environment that is quite bright and cheery but still has that kind of dense and vibrant feel to it. Also you can go for a swim! Imagine that.

Some minor gripes so far are that combat is improved but still a touch chaotic. It encourages you to play strategically, hitting enemies towards surfaces or other characters, and making the most out of your area of effect attacks, but just as often as not has people nervously shifting about at the last second ruining your plans. It's also pretty easy to land yourself in bad situations - enemies out in the world have colour-coded symbols to help gauge their threat, but that's not much help if you're navigating a tight corner and run straight into a particularly dangerous group. Similarly, missions don't always do a great job of letting you know when you're about to get your head kicked in by someone much stronger than you are. Death isn't too punishing, but the financial loss you feel is a good reminder to make use of the ATMs that are around.

Making really, really slow progress through the main story. Finally unlocked the job system, but of crucial relevance to time wasted, I also reached Dondoko Island. This is the whole side-game that is 'like Animal Crossing'. As someone that's never gotten into that series I can't really speak for how closely they've aped it, but what I can tell you is that it is a big ol' game in its own right. I spent 6 bleeding hours on the thing last night and I'm barely just a fledgling 3 star resort.

Comment

60 hours in, I'm still apprehensive to say I'm near the end of this as every time I start to think I'm making headway, the game sprouts new arms and legs to beat me with. I'm on to chapter 12 though, and feel that I've done pretty much every side-thing up to this point with the exception of the labyrinths. These might be my next detour before pushing on with the last bits of the story, as while I've felt overpowered for some stretches, things are starting to catch back up to me and I'm having to actually think a bit more about approach. We can't be having that.

Depending on your outlook, completing Sujimon / Dondoko is certainly one way to make things a bit easier / totally break the balance of the game. Really powerful weapons are available from the beginning of the game if you have the funds, and similarly, there are a few options through Poundmates that can dispatch huge groups in one turn and trivialise some of the encounters. They cost a lot, but again this cost is fairly easily offset if you're sitting on the proceeds of a 5* resort over at Dondoko.

No direct spoilers, but some musings on the story and particularly in relevance to it in the grand scheme of the story -

I genuinely bought the idea that Yakuza 6 - SIX - was meant to be the wrapping up of Kiryu's story, but he still managed to take over the end of 7. Then there's THE MAN WHO ERASED HIS NAME which finally felt like a proper seeing off, but then... this one ends up once again spending so much time on him. This has got to be the most prolonged torch-passing I've ever seen.

Comment

Done; credit roll and platinum. Came in just barely under a three-figure hour count, but a lot of that towards the end was braindead grinding to get Kasuga to level 70 as I'd not paid for the DLC which speeds you toward that with an optional endgame dungeon and NG+. While I don't feel short-changed by the volume of content in the base game, it does remain a crappy decision to have that stuff launching alongside on day 1 at cost.

Generally speaking think they're doing a good job improving the RPG gameplay and smoothing out the way systems work with one another. Per the norm, the minigames are all excellent, and the big two (Dondoko, Sujimon) are well fleshed out.

In terms of the story I think it's a bit less of a unanimously positive direction.

Really not into picking up and putting down cancer as a plot point when it's convenient. As soon as you realise medical intervention is still an option you suspect it's going to be the case, but then the game spends a good chunk of its second half eulogising Kiryu (and undermining Kasuga in the process) before the inevitable turn.

Some of the story bits and set pieces are very good (Bryce's intro, the Barracuda execution), but there are also a lot that we have seen so many times and do not need to retread. What's that? A final showdown in the millenium tower, and as you're climbing it, a helicopter flies beside the glass windows with a gattling gun? How about the other Omi/Tojo guys saying they won't come back, and THEN THEY DO COME BACK.

Also there is VERY NEARLY ACTUAL SHARK JUMPING. NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE.

In other news: I rule at can collecting. This is footage of a mini-game, but there's a detail in here that's arguably a spoil, so don't click if you are sensitive to that.

So uh, anyone else going to play this?

Comment

I've bought it not going to be playing it for a little while. I've just started 7 as I read its better to play that before starting this.
          I used to be able to keep on top of the Yakuza games but these days they're coming out to quick for me to keep up.
          Still got 1 kiwami, 2 kiwami, 6 & ishin to play also!

Comment

Working...
          X