Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster

Anyone else downloaded this? Tried it this morning and the judder is very noticeable on Series X as per the DF review. Still plays OK, looking forward to delving into it more.

Starts
    29-02-2024
    Ends
    29-02-2024

On dear, I added a calendar item and now I can’t delete it. Moderators to the rescue?

Comment

Because I can seemingly only play remasters of old games right now, I got this. In a way, it was probably a mistake - I have actually replayed the original very recently and what this largely adds is a good modern control scheme and yet there are plenty of those control schemes for the original on Steam so I feel like I already played it this way. But for what it is, it's kind of the perfect polish up in the sense that it is the same game, it's not trying to be anything other than what it was, but it just looks a bit nicer and plays smoother. That's really it. And as that, it does a very good job.

But if anyone is expecting it to be a remake or something different, it's not that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Because I can seemingly only play remasters of old games right now, I got this. In a way, it was probably a mistake - I have actually replayed the original very recently and what this largely adds is a good modern control scheme and yet there are plenty of those control schemes for the original on Steam so I feel like I already played it this way. But for what it is, it's kind of the perfect polish up in the sense that it is the same game, it's not trying to be anything other than what it was, but it just looks a bit nicer and plays smoother. That's really it. And as that, it does a very good job.

But if anyone is expecting it to be a remake or something different, it's not that.
        I guess this differentiates it from TR remaster. Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post

I guess this differentiates it from TR remaster. Interesting!
          Exactly. The TR remaster reaches higher and should have been more impressive, but doesn't quite nail it. The Dark Forces remaster aims to be the game as you remember it, with the improvements really just smoothing things over so it matches your rose-tinted glasses version of what the game was.

Comment

That's what Night Dive do, all their remakes are graphical updates meant to run on modern system without touching the game, if not for the most glaring flaws.

Comment

Oh I know. As mentioned, I’ve been playing a lot of remasters and I have a bunch of theirs.

Comment

Played some more on Series X. This game moves way too fast! Also I don’t know if I’ve mucked up the control settings, but the character keeps moving forward after you let go of the forward control (left-stick up), like you’re skating in ice. It makes it hard with jumping sections. I have found a slow mode that helps with this but it’s not mapped to any buttons by default.

Incidentally there aren’t enough buttons for all the functions, it seems in this way that keyboard hasn’t been adapted adequately. In particular the lack of controls for the overhead map are a problem, especially as the levels are so confusing to navigate. Even if you select a control mapping to move the map it doesn’t seem to work. Is this a bug?

The mapping menu also seriously needs a ‘reset to default’ option.

These issues are pretty annoying so I can’t say I’d recommend on Series X. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has found these tricky on console and it’s not just me.

Comment

Working...
                X