[NSW] Princess Peach Showtime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NSW] Princess Peach Showtime!

Princess Peach's second solo outing took its sweet time, and here we a nice little game where Peach dons a new costume for each new stage, with each costume having a single special action around which stages are designed. You've got the swordfighter, the ninja, the detective, the patissiere...
    is this Nintendo's version of Balan Wonderworld? I mean, the simple control scheme, the various costumes, the relaxed difficulty...but then again Mario Odyssey had a similar costume/possession mechanic, and Mario Odyssey itself wasn't exactly the first game where your "equipment" would dictate your abilities.
    And then you also have to consider that this game doesn't take away your jump button, level design isn't terrible, and that Peach's costumes have an actual meaning in the game's structure and are not just there to pad numbers.

Anyway...

I must say Princess Peach doesn't feel like a first-party Nintendo game, at least technically. I don't think the game goes above 30 fps and there are instances of framerate drops, and this doesn't go in hand with a slick presentation: haven't counted the pixels but this seems to be stuck at 720p, and there are plenty of low resolution textures on pretty prominent objects. A lot of effects are videos, and those too have a relatively low fps. If you come straight from Pikmin 4, technically the two games are night and day.
    Stylistically it's OK, but nowhere near as charming as Epic Yarn or Wooly's World. In fact, I would say that even all of the Luigi Mansions are more inspired graphically that Princess Peach Showtime.

But how do the game plays?
    Well, it's OK, like the already mentioned Epic Yarn and Wooly's World are: slow rhythm, easy to understand, plenty of room for error, sprinkled with a small amount of puzzling when you want to collect all the stars moons sparkles in all stages.
    For the first two "worlds" you get a new costume at almost every stage, and you start off with swordfighter and ninja, so relatively action-packed. Swordfighter is all about combat, ninja has a bit of stealth and some platforming. Patissiere Peach decorates cakes and bakes biscuits via minigames. Dashing Thief Peach is abotu platforming with a grapple hook, and Detective Peach is about finding clues and solving mysteries.
    It's all perfectly serviceable, with fights against world bosses being the most interesting part: some are fights, some are more puzzle or stealth oriented.

Princess Peach Showtime doesn't look like the longest game ever, so I guess it's a good game to play in between other bigger titles.

Game completed in, maybe, 10 hours? Haven't collected everything but I must say I got a bit bored in the end, but at least the game doesn't overstay its welcome.
    I also didn't realise this is from GoodFeel, which kinda explains why it runs as it does...Bakeru might have been fun, but it wasn't exactly a good performer either, and the situation in Princess Peach Showtime! is even worse, considering this is a Nintendo title with someone prominent from the Super Mario franchise.

I'd say there's an aura of cheapness permeating through the game, and not just technically: there are three stages for each costume, and it's not like there are new ideas or new ways to explore the costume Peach is wearing, it's always the same thing. It's clear this is meant for young kids, with just three buttons (costume action, jump, and pose, which is used to move to secret areas for coins and sparkles) and many, many section not even requiring to hold the stick forward, but I think this simplicity hurts the game in the long run, even when compared to GoodFeel's Bakeru.

Comment

I'll probably get this for my daughter's birthday next month as she keeps watching vids of it on YouTube Kids.

Comment

It'll be a good fit for a young kid, but for more experinced gamers it's a wasted opportunity.

Comment

Working...
        X