Stellar Blade (PS5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stellar Blade (PS5)

Stellar Blade is a hackey sack (hack and slash) game based in California (Earth). If you juggle just right you can hit the passing seagull.

Ahem, I've barely scratched the surface of this, but I can tell from the combat, exploration (you'll need to be smart and sniff every pixel to find those special exospines), big ol skill tree and of course, the combat (so good he say it twice!).

The combat has that rhythmic feel to it. It can feel tough at first, but once you understand the enemy, you have you combos down, your parrying and knowing when to dodge etc, you start to look like that graceful warrior who came to conquer all the costumes.... I mean kill all the baddies.

This is a game I need right now. Something I can dip into without too much thinking going on

Last edited by hudson; 26-04-2024, 16:31.

Oh and does anyone think the pick up item sound effect is reminiscent of Nights Into Dreams when you fly through gates?

Last edited by hudson; 26-04-2024, 18:10.

Comment

I've been playing this all day. I can't put it down.

The game has opened up a bit. There's a section that's a bit of an open world where you can do your side quests and stuff. Nothing amazingly in depth, but I am just mopping it all up in the name of combat. Levelling up my exospines (these are mods to your spine. You can have two, but I only have room for one unlocked - these range from tanky builds, extra dmg for combos, crit based build and stealth. I think there's over 10 to collect), gear (similar to previous, you can have upto four slots for these buffs - things like plus percent dmg, shield, attack speed etc and thse can be levelled up), skill points and crafting of new costumes, drone costumes and buffs. There's quite a bit of upgrading! Oh yeah and one really cool thing about the skill trees is that the game allows you to enter training mode for any skill - to practice it, see if you think if it's worth buying.
      Graphically the game reminds me of Final Fantasy VII Remake in that on close inspection, the textures ain't all that, but they're serviceable.
      Great art style and enemy design is really good.

Combat though, it's so cool. I especially like 2 skills call Blink and Repulse which you use for 2 different situations. First one is when then the enemy is about to do a fatal attack (they say fatal, but I've not been one shot by these attacks), there's some blue (magenta if you need to Repulse) flashy indicators on screen. The first time you see it, it's to let you know to get ready for the window of opportunity, then a blue cross will 'shing!', that's you window to input. Things like this just make you feel bad ass. The Repulse specifically, puts the enemy in a downed state a little distance away from you and the game highlights a weak spot. If you've unlocked it, here you can pull out your gun and blast away at the weak spot. So cool.

I wouldn't say this is too hard so far. I've played for 9 hours, beat 1

of 6 alpha bosses

, plus I have been sniffing very pixel of land for pick ups.

If you like Ninja Gaiden (but I think it's not as difficult), FFVII Remake, Sekiro, just a good action RPG, then I highly recommend Stellar Blade.
      Last edited by hudson; 27-04-2024, 21:45.

Comment

I've got out of the first city and pretty much done the entire of the first open world area, and am about ten hours in, theirs so much to the world and so many secrets and stuff to find its a real treat to explore. It's a pretty fleshed out world, and so far I'm enjoying the exploration as much as the combat. The rhythm to the combat is excellent, I'd say it feels more Devil May Cry than the weighty combat of souls, parrying and dodging windows are quite generous and make you feel like a real badass. It has a story mode too which dials down the difficulty as well as a screen prompts setting to get you used to the timing of dodged and parrys, so it's pretty user-friendly and a lot easier to get used to than many other games in this genre.

I've also unlocked a few of the more, Risqué Costumes including the bunny girl outfit, but I felt like this was a step too far so went back to the black planet diver costume as I felt like some sort of deviant playing with that much skin on show, and it made all the cut scenes feel very out of place and not really in keeping with the rest of the game
        Last edited by Lebowski; 29-04-2024, 09:56.

Comment

No one else playing this?

Did a super cool area last night

got into a Secret Lab area last night, when you go in your sword gets disabled, turning this into a survival horror style game where the only weapon you can use is your limited ammo drone gun, lots of jump scares and some really cool new enemies It's like they put a futuristic Resident Evil level in their sci-fi slasher

Loving how polished and inventive this game is you think you know what's going on and the rhythm of the game, and it throws you a curveball GOTY for me and it's only April

unlocked a load of new outfits again last night which is quite refreshing as usually this sort of stuff is a £20 per skin dlc.
          Last edited by Lebowski; 30-04-2024, 11:58.

Comment

I think this will be slept on. I must admit when I saw this in a State of Play way back as Project EVE, I wasn't really interested. Same when I saw Helldivers 2.

It took a few people on the internet whose views of games I look out for (I know - shallow aren't I?), to get me interested. Helldivers 2 ended up making me look like a fool inside Another great.

But daaaaaaamn, this game is brilliant. I've since picked up Nier Automata. A similar game I've slept on also. I can't wait to get home and carry on playing it!
            Last edited by hudson; 30-04-2024, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              No one else playing this?
              I am! Really enjoying it. First PS5 game I've bought, as it came out around the same time I got a PS5.

Comment

"finished" it this evening. A lovely treat of a game. My GOTY so far (was DD2).

Comment

Working...
                X