Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes [PS4/PS5/PC/NSW/XB1/XS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes [PS4/PS5/PC/NSW/XB1/XS]

Crowdfunded spiritual sequel to the Suikoden games. We got a side game in this universe already (EC Rising), which was more of an action platform-y type affair with some RPG elements thrown in, but the full game they wanted to make is here now. I played and enjoyed Rising, however to lay cards fully on the table here, I've never played a Suikoden game before this, though I am already 20 hours deep in this. Roll trailer!

Personally, quite liking the visual style being used here - fairly rudimentary 3D environment + 2D sprite work on top, but it absolutely works and gives plenty of tech headroom to have lots of characters on screen doing things. One less positive thing I am noticing though is that there's a lot of quite major depth of field effects going on. These are used to varying degrees to try and centre the focus around your character, and while I get what they're going for, they aren't always the most helpful. Sometimes the effects have very clear banding which doesn't look great, and often if you're trying to look at a background visual you'll find yourself squinting to make sense of things.

Almost straight away you've got a full party of 6 for your turn-based battles, and new ones are introduced at a pretty steady rate. I remember people making fun of Chrono Cross for the way you'd enter a new town and everyone you spoke to would join your party, but it's a much more applicable jab here. You can usually spot the clearly designed characters a mile off from the more drab, cookie cutter townsfolk NPCs who just bumble about, and while there might be a quest or some other pre-requisite, it's also often only a couple of lines of dialogue before they sign right up for the cause. That's not to say that there aren't plenty with charm, just... you are not going to have deep and meaningful bonds with all 100.

For the purposes of battle, these characters each fall under certain groupings - how far their weapon reaches, what kind of armour they can wear, and so on - which does make it easier to swap out one character for another based on role when you need to for story purposes. That reach attribute is a particularly noteworthy one; not fully grasping this was the reason I was nearly stuck an hour into a dungeon with too many short-range characters stuck on my back row that literally couldn't attack anything. Read your tutorials, folks.

Aside from turn-based battles, there's a few other battle systems in place for specific story beats - there's one-on-one duels, and a larger-scale war mechanic where you're not providing individual battle instructions, instead strategically shunting units about a battlefield and putting them in the way of enemy battalions. Also of course there are mini-games; so far a card-based one, a game where you battle spinning tops, and the practically mandatory "press x to catch" fishing game.

Don't want to say too much about the story, but despite the backdrop of war, things still keep pretty breezy. Events that are played for serious impact are quite often sandwiched between moments of fluff and calm, keeping the tone very breezy.

So far, not setting the world on fire, but quite enjoying it.​

Turns out (to little surprise) there's a bunch of fumbles around how the crowdfunding stuff came out in the wash, leading to this lengthy explainer of where they are on various subjects. Glad to be getting the DLC for free, but yes, getting the game after retail copies because they had done a crap job telling me they were waiting for me to log in and pay for shipping on top was a bit galling.

Seen a few buggy things in-game too - a racing mini-game where the controls just flat out don't work, one town that takes about ten times longer than any other to load each time despite being quite small, and a progression bug that's entirely locked me out of recruiting a particular hero. I'd expect all of this to be cleaned up in a patch, hopefully this is coming soon.

Approaching the end in this now - I understand the title's deceptive and there are actually more than 100 heroes, but I have reached that number and the story is very much ramping up to a conclusion. I've enjoyed it but I'm also less impressed with it than I was perhaps expecting to be. Would be really keen to see how Suikoden fans feel about this.

Comment

Managed to get all heroes after all, and finished this up last night. If I'm being honest it gets very by-the-numbers towards the end, and while I've enjoyed it I can't say I'm in any huge rush to recommend everyone flock to it. If you want to see all of its content you really need to dabble in far too many mini-games that just aren't very much fun, and it feels like the main game does struggle quite a lot with how to balance itself in light of there being this many characters.

A friend got the memo too late and is playing on Switch, and is reporting very long load times and crashes. Just a heads-up that if you were going to dive in, avoid that platform for now.

Comment

Working...
      X