Rise of the Ronin (PS5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the Ronin (PS5)

Rise of the Ronin is a checklist open world, samurai, ninja game. Once I got through the short-ish opening and was left to traverse the open world, I did a little wow. People labelled this as a PS2 looking game, and whilst I do see how some elements of how the game looks (mainly lighting being the main issue - I'd say), I do tend to stop and look around in awe. Dunno if it's the setting, the gradient filled sky where it goes from blue to red, the cherry blossom red/pink trees that intertwine colour throughout the lush world, or the cliff edges you are about to leap from that look out displaying all the above I just mentioned. When I say leap, I mean leap and open up your glider!

I've put about 10 hours in so far and from what I've played, I am deffo going to carry on and try and finish it. Whilst it's not as initially more-ish as say, Ghost of Tsushima, I am loving the amount of goddamn armour, weapons, and fighting styles there are. There's a lot of content here. Plus, nearly all fights end in a decapitation or some other severed limbs.

Combat is pretty brutal at times. Especially if you are not paying attention to enemy levels. The combat is pretty deep. At first, due to the one button attack, it doesn't seem so, but then the game pours a load of mechanics info all down your front. Stances for each weapon type. The game does indicate which stance/weapon type would be best to take on an enemy (if you are locked on) using blue/red positive/negative arrows above their heads. There's 9 weapon types and each has (I think) 3 different stances. There's a lot to master here. Don't be put off by becoming overwhelmed at an enemy settlement though as you can always use stealth! Yes, as this is a Team Ninja game is a Hayabusa stance. Ninja armours and ninja style sub weapons (there's even big old guns!), but yeah you can tackle a bunch of enemies by jumping from the roof tops for the stealth kill! Hide in tall grass or throw some smoke bombs!

Oh speaking of jumping from heights, traversal in this game is a joy. Firstly there are lots of fast travel points. You get a horse very early on AND not long after that you get a glider! Jumping from cliff tops to your next mission is ace. Or even just gliding between a couple of sheds at an enemy camp in the name of stealth. I've met a technology guy who made me a
    , so I'm hoping there's more gadgets to come.

As mentioned, I've only scratched the surface of this, but anyone who likes an open world, samurais and stealthy ninja action, I would deffo recommend this. You'll get you arse kicked at times, but there's other ways to skin a cat here! Oh cats! These are spread around the world as collectibles. You have to stealth to them for a huggle.

Last edited by hudson; 21-05-2024, 09:02.
Working...
X