Songs of Conquest (pc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs of Conquest (pc)

The rebirth of the Heroes of Might and Magic gameplay, specifically the 3rd after ubisoft killed it off a decade ago with 6 and 7 and the incredibly bad 'HD' remaster of 3

including ubi**** taking down the original game off steam, tripling the price, not including the expansions which can thankfully be gotten with complete edition on GOG for £3-8 depending on sales

Built in unity, looking like the 2.5HD (without the polygons though) fad brought in with Octopath with some very nice animation which invokes the timeless world map of HoMM3, while the combat also looks just as nice. Out of early access for version 1, so we're now getting a complete game, 4 campaigns to choose from which are similar to the story progression of the HoMM games, single game mode called conquest for pre-made dev/community maps, Multiplayer hotseat, co-op and vs, and map/campaign editor.

So what is a Heroes of Might and Magic like? It's a medium level strategy game Civilization meet FF tactics, while doesn't have the economic depth of x4s like Stellaris/Civ/EuropaU, there is enough to churn out gold and upgrades to build your generals, towns and armies up, while it brings more to the combat with a hex grid turn based tactics which would be similar to a final fantasy tactics. You take turns to move around large map with your general called a wielder in this game, take resource nodes, find treasure/gear, gain exp, get into battles and build up your home town, hire new wielders and soldiers.

Key differences i've found so far are the heavy use of magic in combat and troop limits/world monster increases. Starting with the easy one, troop limits at least in the first campaign sit around 20-60 units per platoon and 3-6 platoons per company(wielders army) which means there is a hard limit to zerg rushes and in turn enemy world spawns no longer increase per week which is a change i really like. Magic no longer uses a limited MP pool, it starts with default amount of magic split by 5 types with the starting amount depending on the wielders affinity and any upgrades from your town or resource nods found on the world map, then replenishes a small amount in all 5 types after a turn ends, which leads to promoting casting spells at least once per turn (at least at beginner levels of spell cost) throwing out stuff like defence buffs or cutting the enemies range in half for 2 rounds (very useful against archers). Other little additions are opportunity of attack for units moving in and out of attack range, and high ground increasing range, strangely the defend action is missing, but with the low cost of protection spells you can afford cast it on a advance unit.

I do miss the sound the effects of classic HoMM3, there a bit plain here and the music just there, nothing outstanding. In all i'm really enjoying the game, and i'm looking forward to seeing the other unit types and how tough enemy wielders are with a town behind them.

I have been following this since early access, but haven't got it yet...too many games and Elden Ring coming in a month or so. Would hate to start Song Of Conquest only to see it shelved.

Comment

Definitely feel some of the inexperience of dev coming through the campaign, had to turn it off in disgust as i'll need to restart the entire 3rd campaign. Half way through 3rd human/starter campaign mission and it does that thing where they just surprise drop a mechanic without introducing it or or even giving you time to prepare for it, as for what it is

Enemy wielder gets dropped on to the map where you started off, so you'll be on the other side of the map unable to respond, you'll get a 3 round warning of 'there is a chill' with no idea of what is about to happen (i had assumed maybe some undead would spawn, as i'd been fighting them and stocked up the towns merge defence to cope with it), the wielder goes on the attack which they haven't done at all yet with a very strong force and strong spells, you get no chance to respond, grabs the starting town so i lose half my troop/economy production, i'm already pretty weak in troops strength as i had been fighting other armies all over the map... no idea what the spawn conditions are, was it me reaching a part of the map with the thorns or a round limit. Very frustrating to experience it.

I'll come back in week or two, when i feel up to redoing it again.
      Last edited by Tobal; 02-06-2024, 10:22.

Comment

Working...
      X