Summon Night: Sword Craft Story 2(GBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summon Night: Sword Craft Story 2(GBA)

Got round to playing this the other day since my Disgaea 2 addiction seems to be waining at last. Anyway this is the follow up to the first of the games that came out of the deal signed between the two RPG publishers Atlus and Banpresto. Which was to bring some of Banprestos GBA games to the west for rare apearances and namely Super Robot Taisen(wahey!!).

The first Summon Night was a decent little ActionRPG that did have quite a few fans because of its emphasis on old school 2D RPG fun with quite a decent crafting system, but it wasn't without its issues and did have a bit of a game length and linearity problem for some players who are used to these games being huge and free roaming, but considering the game was from 2002 on GBA you can surely forgive it a few of the issues considering how much fun it was.

Although it did only clock in at the 10-15 hour mark, maybe 20-25 at a push if trying for all the different weapon creating and/or level capping your character. To some players 15 hours is way too short, but there's no denying the game was fun while it lasted, and the 15hours would have been so different on each playthrough because of how the story was cleverly put together involving 2 characters and a variety of different summons which meant there was some replay value for those who were willing to give it a chance.

The fun quotient of the Summon Night series is quite well known amongst players of this series and one that is usually always set in a fantasy world called 'Lyndbaum'. Much like the Idea Factory Spectral/Generation games always being set in 'Neverland'. It is also like the Idea factory games because the main games in the series are usually SPRGs aswell. It is a shame it has been little known about in the west unlike the Nippon Ichis of this world, but the first game GBA game did attract some new players. Even though it is made by quite a re-nowned maker of SRPGs in Japan - Flight Plan.

The similarities to classic SRPG mechanics are still quite noticeable in Summon Night: Craft Story 2 aswell, but because they are put to use in an ARPG it does give them a fresh feel even for a game of this style. The developers have also made changes to some of the systems that players of the first game did complain about at the time. Things such as the frequency of the battles(which were/are fun anyway), and also changes to the durability system for the weapons.

The changes made in this game are noticeable from the off for players who played the first one, but are what players of Banpresto games are used to because they do listen to the fans criticisms. They do also make changes to their games accordingly. Which is what they have done here to make Summon Night 2 feel a bit more refined than the first and noticeably larger from the off.

I haven't played enough to offer any major insights into the game really, but those who played the first will notice the changes made to the crafting of the weaponary and items, and what does feel like larger Dungeon and Field areas. There are also a couple of new options entirely called disassembling and upgrading which lets you disassemble your weapons and re-forge them to add extra elements in order to upgrade the various weapon stats and create completely new weapons along the way. These ideas are much like any recent RPG or SRPG, but the playability of the game and its battle system does have alot more plusses going for it than it does negatives - imo.

The cute Anime and 2D style isn't for everyone I know, but playing through Summon night:Craft story 2 initially does have plenty for those old school RPG protagonists to crow about. Even if the game does feel like a mish mash of many different ARPGs already out there (especially so the early 2D Tales series). It still has a quality about it, a large amount of fun, and a nicely told narrative that is more than decent enough for those who do genuinely like this type of thing (even if its not wholly original).

The GBA is certainly going out on a high, and it says alot for the game if the first thing to hold my interest after Disgaea 2 is a little known ARPG for the GBA made by Flight Plan. Especially amongst the recent larger PS2/GC RPG releases.
    Last edited by AdamJW; 28-10-2006, 13:26. Reason: a couple of changes.

I got this, after really enjoying the first one. I'm a bit disappointed so far, though. I really enjoyed the crafting in the first game, and so far in the sequel it seems to have been dumbed down quite dramatically. Also, the characters movement in battles is cripplingly slow, and running all the time creates difficulties in position relating to enemies. I'll stick with it for now, though, and just hope that bumping up my agility stat removes that problem entirely! It's also kind of annoying that durability of weapons stays after battles, so you're often heading into boss fights after a long dungeon with your best weapon crippled! The fact that there's no quicksave in this game (you can save anywhere, if you have an item that allows it, but it's a one-use thing, and expensive early on at least) means it's not very portable either.

So, disappointed, really. But I'll stick it out for another few hours at least

Comment

The things they've done here make more sense than the first one, to me. Especially the durability thing which makes the game slightly more challenging than the first because you have to swap your weapons around more to last them out. There also are items and spells you can use to help out after a while anyway.

All in all though I think the changes here are for the better because the game is so much bigger this time, and the durability thing does mean you have to use alot more of the weapons in your inventory. The forging thing seemed to have been dumbed down to me at first, but it hasn't really as it soon gets more complicated than the first one when you start adding different ores and items to the weapon slots and then disassembling the weapons to get extra stats and hidden attacks.

I did feel like you at first, but it started to make more and more sense as it moves along a bit more. Your attacks and speed do get better when your craft rank goes up. The weapons improve and as your levels go up your agility in battle seems to improve in no time at all. Its probably because you are at the begining, and are used to having the character from the first game flying all over the battle screen because of allocating all the APs on agility over the course of the game. I know thats what I did in the first one anyway.

On the whole its far more of a meaty challenge than the first, so that can only be a good thing - can't it? The only thing that annoyed me at first was the changing of the weapons while out in the field to cut the grass, chop the trees and whatnot, but I soon got used to it and the changes made more and more sense after a while even if the game itself is not entirely original.

Don't give up on it - I'm sure you'll get used to the new aspects after a bit of adjusting to them. I was a bit meh!! at first, but it does start to make more sense when you get a bit of progress under the belt and start forging the better weapons, and of course gaining levels.

Mind you I can't make you like it, but I do hope it wins you over because I think its definitely an improvement over the first when alls said and done
      Last edited by AdamJW; 30-10-2006, 09:21.

Comment

Working...
      X