Fifa 2007 (360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fifa 2007 (360)

I couldn't find an existing thread for this, which seems very strange.

Got this yesterday from Amazon. I'm loving the new ball physics and that fact that it doesn't 'stick' to players when you pass it leading to mistakes that can often lead to goal scoring opportunities for the opposition.

However I have also experienced a large (and I mean large!) number of crash bugs in the game, especially when playing on Xbox Live.

The main one appears to be when on the squad selection screen and you indicate that you are ready just as your opponent exits the game, the console freezes requiring a restart. Also I have been in the minigame waiting for an online game to load and the screen just fades to black and nothing happens, I can sometimes hear sound effects of the ball hitting the post but the game never loads and you again need to restart the console.

Has anyone else had these types of issues? The person responsible for testing should be shot, it's a disgrace having these sorts of bugs in a game costing ?40-50.

Hmm, i haven't tried the online porion of the game, so i can't comment on the online issues.
    However, offline, i've had no such problems with crashes. But the sound of the crowd dropping in and out, then back in (during substitutions) then yeah.

Now, onto the game...

First off, which i should comment on, is the distinct lack of playmodes. Only Single game/ Lounge mode/ Manager mode/ Challenge mode (similar to ISS 98' / 2000 on the N64 where you have to win by certain criteria) exist. So there's no single season league mode (without all the manager bells and whistles) or tournament modes, which i find is criminal.

Gameplay wise, i agree with Obie T, in that the new ball physics/ in relation to the player, where the foot reaches for the ball, instead of getting 'canned animations' is rather splendid. I lost how many times i've gone into instant replay mode just to check out the animations of how the player 'did that' The animations look a lot more flowing and natural when controlling the ball.

This game is definitely a tough baptism for newcomers, since on the default difficulty it can be frustrating. playing it like previous Fifa's where you can ping the ball from player to player seems to get you nowhere.
    Definitely a more patient approach is needed.

There's no trick stick this year, with the right analog stick being used to push the ball further away from you. You can side shimmy, and thats about it. No flashy stepovers or anything.

Tactically there only seems to be only 4 options for attacking (right side atack/ left side attack/ centre attack/ counter attack) and defending, unless i'm really thick and cant seem to find where to change them. But they seem to work from what i can tell.

Fatigue definitely has an outcome when the match wears on, and is definitely more noticeable than the WE/ PES series.

Tackling is a hit and miss affair, where what seem like a legitimate sliding tackle (getting the ball first pretty cleanly, but only just catching the man) seems to get you booked, other times it doesn't, which may have something to do with different referee's, or maybe not.
    And even the foot in tackle can stop play, where you seem to cleanly win the ball, and the referee pulls play back for some reason.

The other little things i mainly like about Fifa 07 is the:
    - stadium announcements (in the country's native language) of the goal scorer and time he scored along with random other messages the announcer gives off.
    - The hair movement of the players.
    - the cloth movement of the kit, though not as good as NBA 2k, still quite good.
    - the stat tracking where it tells you your overall profile shot %/ pass %/ fouls comitted etc. Quite a lot.
    - along with the profile stat tracking, the amount of stat tracking during/ after a match is very good as well - simila to that of WE/ PES - if not better.

The things that should've been dealt with:
    - mainly graphical really, since the substitues will come onto the pitch with dirty kit - blatant kit palette swap.
    - when changing captain mid-match, the arm band will always stay on the initial player it was assigned to before the match.
    - the crowd noise cutting in and out during substitutions.
    - only the well known player faces are in, and even then, some of them look quite suspect.
    - not being able to buy all the varieties of football boot in the challenge shop.
    - no visible referee/ linesman
    - left footed keepers like Cech/ Dida will use their right foot when feeding the ball back into play (not from goal kicks though)
    - no option to have a second person at the freekick for dummying.

other than that, i'm finding it a completely refreshing
    Last edited by jimtendo; 31-10-2006, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by ObieT

However I have also experienced a large (and I mean large!) number of crash bugs in the game, especially when playing on Xbox Live.

The main one appears to be when on the squad selection screen and you indicate that you are ready just as your opponent exits the game, the console freezes requiring a restart. Also I have been in the minigame waiting for an online game to load and the screen just fades to black and nothing happens, I can sometimes hear sound effects of the ball hitting the post but the game never loads and you again need to restart the console.

Has anyone else had these types of issues? The person responsible for testing should be shot, it's a disgrace having these sorts of bugs in a game costing ?40-50.
      I have had random "complete lockups" but not for a day or two, after I reset for the fourth time in a row I got the dreaded red lights, but it was okay after I rebooted again!

But yeah, crashes a lot but it's been okay for me in the last few days.

People having problems defending should note, I've only conceded 3 goals so far in my season and have played 24 games, I've not used slide tackle a single time, it's deadly and rubbish. You don't really need to use it at all...just "pressure" the opponent and get 2 men on them.
      Last edited by Jebus; 31-10-2006, 19:07.

Comment

Anyone else havingg problems with the 'EA radio' tonight?

As soon as i start up the game and onto the arena, the EA radio flashes on - but nothing is on, no-one talking, and all i get is silence?

Seems to be complete silence tonight.

Comment

Seems like another Glitchy rushed out version of Fifa then!

Comment

Not at all, it is a VAST improvement over the other 360 releases, about 100 times better. People need to stop assuming its **** because it's EA. From what I've heard there are far worse problems with pro evo.

Contrary to popular belief, EA have made an enjoyable, very playable football game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus

Contrary to popular belief, EA have made an enjoyable, very playable football game.
              absolutely - i guess there's not many people on here that are interested in fifa, with the Pro evo release at the same time, and perhaps admitting that you prefer fifa is not the done thing around here - but fifa really is very good this year (360). The online play is superb, i've had about 20 games online so far, and practically lag and problem free, i've had about 10 sec lag in total over all those games. It's like the other player is sat next to you, very pleasently surprised.

It does take some getting used to tho, different controls to normal fifa (defensivly), the ball physics are good, players make good runs, which is all setupable, shooting system has been overhauled, and much better, and you really have to earn your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by YOUWIN
                absolutely - i guess there's not many people on here that are interested in fifa, with the Pro evo release at the same time, and perhaps admitting that you prefer fifa is not the done thing around here - but fifa really is very good this year (360). The online play is superb, i've had about 20 games online so far, and practically lag and problem free, i've had about 10 sec lag in total over all those games. It's like the other player is sat next to you, very pleasently surprised.

It does take some getting used to tho, different controls to normal fifa (defensivly), the ball physics are good, players make good runs, which is all setupable, shooting system has been overhauled, and much better, and you really have to earn your goals.
                Too right, I've had many a 0-0 match right up until the 93rd minute (injury time) when the pressure I've exerted finally comes off with a scrambled goal or a screamer, it's most certainly the most satisfying football game of recent time!

Sure, you could put it on "Ameteur" skill setting and just run from defence straight to goal, but on "Semi-pro" it really is about building up, patience and is very very realistic.

People not giving this a shot "because it's EA, and EA are ****" are missing out on an excellent footy game.

Comment

RE: about the EA radio problems before.
                  Seems to be sorted now. Just tried it again, and the music is back. Just seems that EA radio went on one last night.

I've most definitely been enjoying this iteration of Fifa immensly. I wouldn't think i'd be saying that. Ever.
                  It's just a joy even grinding out 0-0/ 1-0 matches, mainly because the play mechanics feel right for a game of football.

As i was watching the Champions League, it struck me how similar i was playing Fifa 07, in that i was playing patient and just knocking the ball around to find space, and when i couldn't, just play the ball back to the defenders and try a different avenue.

Does it feel wrong to say that after playing PES6 (PS2) and then going back to this, i garnered more enjoyment from Fifa 07?
                  (ok lets not open that can of worms)

But to dismiss this edition of Fifa because it's Fifa, would be foolish to say the least.
                  Last edited by jimtendo; 02-11-2006, 17:29.

Comment

i'm not sure what difficulty the online game is set too ( it really affects goalies - as im sure you know), but on my own and with m8's i've always played world class -
                    i hope the achievements accept this and that you don't HAVE to be playing semi-pro to get em.

The achievments are a bit poo tho - FIFA WC they were better, doing all the challenges in that was very difficult, and most enjoyable, - i can't understand why they have no achievments relating to the challenge mode this time around, not sure if i'll bother with that part of the game now...

Comment

Yeah, tis a great improvement over the previous FIFA'S!

Btw, why can't i save my replays? Pro Evo 6 360 also don't have goal save option i heard right?

Comment

Originally posted by YOUWIN
                        i can't understand why they have no achievments relating to the challenge mode this time around, not sure if i'll bother with that part of the game now...
                        Perhaps it's because the challenge based achievements in the last incarnation made people want to smash their 360's into a million little bits...?

Comment

I have to say, for all the good things about this game...just turned it on, loaded my profile...CRASH.

Getting a bit fed up with that, some days loads, some days none.

EDIT: ...and crashed again. This is the only game I've ever had this problem with.

EDIT 2: AND again, this is a ****ing disgrace. I wish I could play a match.

Oh well, there goes my 360, just in time for Gears...3 red lights.
                          Last edited by Jebus; 03-11-2006, 09:09.

Comment

I love this game, despite getting my arse handed to me online for 10 matches in a row

However they really need to release a patch to fix the random freezes because it's bloody annoying!

Does anyone know the best way to contact EA 'Support' to report these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by ObieT

However they really need to release a patch to fix the random freezes because it's bloody annoying!
                              Not wanting to worry you (or anyone) but my launch 360 was fine til this game, now its dead and going back to Microsoft. It was crashing ALL the time on this game, then it died.

Comment

Working...
                              X