Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[First Play] Gundam : Target in Sight (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[First Play] Gundam : Target in Sight (PS3)

As requested in another thread, very early impressions of Gundam for the PS3.

What can i say? The good news is this game supports English text and English voice acting (as well as Japanese of course) , the bad news? well, the game really is pretty ropey to say the least. We already knew this game wasn't shapping up too well from E3 and TGS earlier in the year, but i did hold out hope that Namco/Bandai could pull something out of the bag. Unfortunately , that's not happened....

The first thing to strike you about the game is the godawful presentation. We are talking ZX Spectrum levels of white text on plain black backgrounds here. Things like the trademark music, trademark sound effects (all held by Bandai) could have been used, but for some absolutely amazing reason i've yet to hear anything familiar :/

you can chose to play as the E.F.F or ZEON, and the mission starts.
    Both early missions for both sides are incredibly cliche (the training mission interupted by an actual attack).

Whilst the models in the game are of a good standard and have a mature look rather than the bright coloured mechs of the anime series, however, once the game starts moving it all falls to bits : sub-30fps frame rates, bad collissions , terrible explosions, strange physics on the mechs and buildings following hits...

Gameplay is the usual "kill their lot!" fodder so far - although it is early days. Whether the later stages get to be seen though is looking less and less likely - the game play is also another stick in the spokes of this game. Clunky controls and slow ponderous combat (yes, i know... it's a gundam game, but this is really poor), and an inability to see where you are shooting (beyond the first person targetting system).

So - to sum up so far : Terrible graphics, weak sound, limited combat, poor presentation, bad frame rate, wonky physics, boring game structure, and very simplistic game play.

I will revist the game tomorrow -it's 3 a.m. Sunday here - i haven't been to sleep since 9a.m. thursday morning! Will update when i can but at this point in time with people possibly with their fingers over the "ADD TO CART" button i'd suggest you think long and hard about what might be , for me, one of the worst games i've played in many many months. It might get better, but this game needs to be tapdancing on water whilst magically producing golden eggs in the next few levels for that to happen and i simply don't see it turning this around. Buyers beware.

Ouch :/

Thanks for the impressions though

Comment

Originally posted by DCharlie
      So - to sum up so far : Terrible graphics, weak sound, limited combat, poor presentation, bad frame rate, wonky physics, boring game structure, and very simplistic game play
      how can a game with giant japanese robots in be bad?

any tilt functionality?

Comment

any tilt functionality?
        nope ,not that i'm aware of at least!

Comment

Bandai pretty much crucify the Gundam name everytime they release a game in the series. They always put too much emphasis on making the cut scenes look pretty to the detriment of everything else. This was to be expected really, but cheers for the impressions. I was going to wait till a Super Robot Taisen game was PS3 bound before I bought one anyway. The biggest plus point is the multi language options though.
          Last edited by AdamJW; 11-11-2006, 18:34.

Comment

Sounds like another tragic Gundam game

Oh well, only a few weeks till Armoured Core 4

Comment

Same Dcharlie from GAF? Never imagnied you'd post here, but good impressions from here and on the GAF thread.

Comment

Screw Gundam and give us Macross.

The PS2 game was fantastic.

Comment

hey el leone, being from the UK i've been around here for almost as long as gaf, but i only pop in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamJW
                    Bandai pretty much crucify the Gundam name everytime they release a game in the series. They always put too much emphasis on making the cut scenes look pretty to the detriment of everything else.
                    Gundam: Target in Sight is really incongruous to their recent releases though.

Gundam: The One Year War (Project Pegasus) was a terrific Gundam game; it played really well.

Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna is a brilliant arcade game, with a hemispherical screen and Virtual On style controls.

Gundam Battle Assault 1 and 2 are good, though 3 was admittedly poor.

The Vs series is terrific though; such as the recent Renpou Vs Zaft which I have, and it's a superb Virtual On style fighting game.

Also, whilst the recent Seed franchise has turned up some crap titles, there have been great ones too.

It is true that games in the franchise were poor, but now they're starting to turn up. This game for the PS3 does throw a spanner in the works though. I knew it was going to have troubles when I saw the realistic visuals; I think applying realistic materials to Gundam mobile suits is pointless; they're never going to look real as they're inherently fantastic. Hopefully this gen we'll start to see further improvement once everyone has forgotten about this abortion of a game.

Comment

A different game perhaps but when is Armoured Core 5 coming out on the PlayStation 3?

Comment

In the next few weeks in Japan I believe...possibly the week before xmas if i remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats
                          In the next few weeks in Japan I believe...possibly the week before xmas if i remember correctly.
                          Thanks for the quick reply!

Lets hope it will live up to the rather excellent fourth outing on the PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial
                            Thanks for the quick reply!

Lets hope it will live up to the rather excellent fourth outing on the PS2.
                            I played it at TGS. It was a tech demo though; it crashed. Also was rife with slowdown, but of course, tech demos are.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura
                              I played it at TGS. It was a tech demo though; it crashed. Also was rife with slowdown, but of course, tech demos are.
                              Don't go letting my high hopes down.

Comment

Working...
                              X