Genesis Collection PSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis Collection PSP

I'm sure non-emulating PSP owners are as rare as Liverpool away goals this season, but just in case anyone else picks this up.

Got this today. Had a quick game on Altered Beast, Golden Axe 2/3 and Thunderblade. Thunderblade really benefits from the analogue nub - controlling your chopper is much easier than I remember it. Golden Axe played quite well, but the controls made it difficult to pull off the special attack. Altered Beast, the game with what I feel is an underved reputation as a crap game which has somehow attained classic status, had noticeably had the difficulty toned down. On my first go I got near the end of level three, further than I'd ever managed before.

Full game list

Alex Kidd
    Altered Beast
    Bonanza Bros
    Columns
    Comix Zone
    Decap Attack
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Ecco Jr
    Flicky
    Gain Ground
    Golden Axe 1,2 and 3
    Kid Chamelean
    Phantasy Star 2,3,4
    Ristar
    Shadow Dancer
    Shinobi 3
    Sonic the hedgehog 1 and 2
    Super Thunderblade
    Sword of Vermillion
    VectorMan 1 and 2
    Virtua Fighter 2

28 games in all.

From the main menu, you can highlight a game and play it or see the "museum" which gives you history of the game, tips and box art. A nice feature.

Unlockable extras include five games (Astro Blaster, Congo Bongo, Eliminator, Space Fury and Super Zaxxon), a load of interviews, some trailers and the Sega Cheat sheet. Some of these are unlocked by completing all or part of games, not unlike X-box live achievements. Others just by trying games, and the cheat sheet by watching all the interviews. I haven't done that yet, of course. Anyway, it's not as cool as the slot machine game in the most recent Capcom compilation.

Games can be pixel perfert, best fit, or stretched. Controls and difficulty levels can be changed in options, as well as health bar lengths in some games, but there doesn't seem to be a way of setting the number of continues. In fact, there don't seem to be any continues at all on some games. Altered Beast just flipped me the Game Over finger, with no option to continue. However, you can save your game at any point, which seems odd for this sort of package. I suppose it's useful for gaming on the go, but I would have preferred a few continues. I checked Shinobi 3 for continues before writing this first play, and it offered me the option of continuing. Hopefully most of the rest do.

The digitised speech still sounds great. "Rise from your grave" and "Welcome to your doom" all add to the nostalgia. The "Sega" on the title screen has been modernised, however.

Adhoc multiplayer is available, haven't tried it.

Hope this helps anyone umming and arring about getting the game.

Cool, yep I've been waiting for this for a while. Its worth the price alone for Phantasy Star 4.

As for Altered Beast...no it hasnt aged well BUT it was a launch game for the Megadrive and for the graphics alone at the time it was a system seller for many early adopters and importers. Hell, I even remember the first time I saw the screenshots in C+VG, they sprurred me to buy one at launch in japan.

Comment

I've never played any of the Phantasy Star games. I wonder why the first one wasn't included.

I love Altered Beasts, although I'm crap at it. It's going to be one of my first downloads for the Wii as well.

Comment

I think the first one was a Master System game. I thought there was a MD version released at some stage but I must be wrong about that or it would have been included.

Comment

Perhaps. Maybe that's why we haven't got the original and superb Shinobi as well.

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone intrested this is also coming out on ps2 and getting a pal release as,suprise!, 'Megadrive collection'

Comment

One or two games and unlockables are different on the PS2 version, according to Gamespot. In fact, they say the PS2 version is slightly better.

Comment

It would be cool if Toe Jam and Earl 1 & 2 were on the PS2 version - I'd love to play those again

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                  Just a heads up for anyone intrested this is also coming out on ps2 and getting a pal release as,suprise!, 'Megadrive collection'
                  Already bought this along with Capcom Classics 2(NTSC-U) and both are well worth investing in.

Comment

What are the Sonic game ports like? My copy was dispatched my tronix today and the Sonic games are the only reason I ordered it.

Comment

I already beat Sonic 2 and 2/3 into Sonic 1. I did go through walls I didnt remember being able to go through on the Genny, but it only happened once or twice. Another thing I notice is that the SEGA sound in Sonic 2 was a little distorted. Overall, id say they are 97% accurate.

Awesome collection overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ryodi
                        What are the Sonic game ports like? My copy was dispatched my tronix today and the Sonic games are the only reason I ordered it.
                        Yeah, the emulation it better than on the Sonic Mega Collection. However, I only got it for Gain Ground, which so far looks to be perfect

Comment

Working...
                        X