Gunpey PSP version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunpey PSP version

Well I got this and I have to say at first it seemed blady confusing as regards to what was going on... As usual, I dive into a game not having a clue what the hell is happening as I am impatient and can't be arsed reading the manual and before I knew it was game over!

Then it clicked. The Lumines geeza has hit the jackpot again with a very interesting 'in the zone like Lumines' puzzle game for the PSP.

Basically, the idea is quite simple. There are 5 lanes that advance upwards (for now just imagine Tetris blocks falling upside down) and in each lane there are various lines... The idea is to match the lines in each lane so that the line from all five lanes is adjoining from left to right like zig zag like, 'dot to dot' style...

Once you get used to it, you will find yourself getting addicted to the simple nature of the game. Of course the music is awesome and a special mention should goto the graphics as well as they are really nice too.

But, some minor downers. Like Lumines there's a **** load of skins to get but to get them you need to play it alot. There are challenge modes but I reckon to get the other skins, you goto see how far you can go in normal mode and it does get quite demanding in no time, much harder than Lumines.

So it's frustrating to say that this is no resume feature or save mode if you're playing it for a while and getting deep into the game.

Other than that, it's fantastic! Give it a go now!!!
    Last edited by phillai; 02-12-2006, 18:48.

When I first started playing it I wasn't lasting more than 2-4 minutes, it just wasn't clicking. But in the same vein as Lumines (although Mizuguchi didn't really create Gunpey) all of a sudden it happened. For some reason I didn't get the game over screen after 3 minutes and it was just flowing, I sat engrossed in the screen for half an hour racking up a score which is impossible to beat until the next time I play

They need a Q? pack for the PSP; Lumines, Lumines II, EEE and Gunpey plus some sort of limited edition PSP. 4 stunners right there.

Comment

Got gunpey today and was surprised to see only 2 posts in firstplay.Can only agree with the comments already posted about this game.After a couple of trial runs(press buttons to see what each do without reading the manual)was slightly confused about the moves to make.Then suddenly it clicked and sat for the next hour totally engrossed in the gameplay.I am not a huge puzzle fan but this game has me hooked.Now to keep the game and psp away from the good lady so i can continue playing,if she starts playing this game i will not see the psp for a long time .

Comment

The last time I posted here it didn't show up for some reason...

I was similarly surprised at the lack of posts, although it takes a little while to get the feel of it once you realise the goal isn't to make as many lines as possible, it's to make as big a line as possible. The change in speed during the single player forces you to change strategy from building up colossal chains in some of the slower levels to demolish as much as possible in one go. Then on the faster sections you need to just hammer the lines together quickly, using the pause while the line is highlighted to whack as many more bits onto the line as possible.

While there's a few other games I like on the PSP, Lumines, Every Extend Extra and Gunpey have really stood out for me.

John

Comment

I've been struggling with this over the weekend.

First impressions are its brilliant. Then comes the kickintheballs that it has the same unlock structure for skins as the original Lumines. Also the single player challenge mode takes you ALLLLLLL the way back to the start, every time, and you get sick of the first few levels.

There is absolutely no chance of me unlocking everything without downloading a save from somewhere like Gamefaqs.

Its a shame because Q? make some excellent games, but the progression through both this and the original Lumines is so hardcore, 99.9 percent of us will never achieve it via normal means. A flawed design.

Every Extend Extra is still the best of their output so far

Comment

I have the DS version that i picked off ebay for ?3 + shipping from the US. However i played it a few times and like Meteos the game just did not click, and i am a huge puzzle game fan.

Do you guys think its worth trying the PSP version instead?

Comment

Got the PSP version today.

Absolutely bloody loving it.

I've managed to keep going for about 40 - 50 minutes so far and intend on breaking that. Some of the skins and music tracks that you get about 20 minutes in are really, really lovely.

This game is a time black hole. You get really, really hooked on it whilst you're playing and when you keep a long time going, it can be incredibly satisfying without being boring. Just when you're starting to get fed up of the skin, it changes, with the exception of the first one which lasts a full 7 minutes no matter what you do.

I like the concept, I like the way it plays out, I just think it's a great game.

Comment

Got this for £5 new from Game - brilliant little game it is too!

Echoing what everyone else said, it is soo confusing till it clicks - then the music and the lines get into your head and you start seeing them in every day life. Gonna be playing this on public transport more and more - carrying a PSP charger with me so I can leave it on stand by!

Comment

Working...
                X