Super Swing Golf Pangya (JPN Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Swing Golf Pangya (JPN Wii)

Another of the Japanese Wii launch titles, this time Super Swing Golf Pangya.

Gameplay and graphically wise, this is pretty identical to the Minna no Golf/Everybodys Golf series on PS2 and PSP. Except, that is, for the control scheme.
    Anyone who has played Wii Sports Golf will more or less be sorted here in terms of the basics.
    Choose where you want your shot to go, adjust for wind etc, point the remote down, hold down A and swing it back like a real golf club and follow through.
    Unfortunately, the sensor is quite sensitive and you may need to hold the remote in some not-very-golf-like poses to get full power. Also, the game senses little twists and so on in your wrist when you follow through with your shot and, for me at least, my shots almost always go slightly to the left every time.
    It's pretty minor criticism really though as once you have it sussed and know the courses, you'll be alright for the most part.
    Putting is less sensitive though and if you get the power/direction right you'll almost always get your shot in without worrying about after touch etc.

There is a very useful and helpful tutorial which explains things nicely covering the basics and some more advanced techniques.
    The story mode is the main attraction though with your created character taking on computer controlled opponents who you unlock as you defeat them.
    Unfortunately, even on the easy setting, the computer AI is very hit and miss. Opponents will hit 3 O.B shots in a row and then pull of a wonder shot, close to a hole in one which let me tell you, is extremely annoying.

Money gained by getting par or better and gaining experience in the game can be used to buy clothes/accessories for your character and (I think) unlock some new characters.

All in all, it's a good game but as I've said before, you'll need to be prepared to put in a good couple of hours getting used to the controls before you will get the hang of the difficulty etc.

How do the swing mechanics compare to wii sports golf?
    Last edited by megatron; 14-12-2006, 22:50.

Comment

Yeah I've been looking forward to this and after playing wii sports golf I'm not sure I'd ever want to go back to a button/stick pull&push mechanic. More impressions please - Is this online ? Is it basically the same as the free(ish) PC game ?

Everybodys golf online with that control scheme =

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
        More impressions please - Is this online ? Is it basically the same as the free(ish) PC game ?
        No online. Graphically it's nearly identical to original Pangya / Albatross 18 except that character models have been redone.

Comment

No online play?!!!

Wow I can't belive they left online play out considering its based on an online game. I was really hyped for this, but thats kinda killed it for me

Comment

Does it include the ability to put back spin etc on the ball? Something lacking from Wii sports golf sadly.

Comment

No online play????? poor very poor

Comment

Why the suprise? No Wii games are online yet are they?

Comment

Do any of you guys play Albatross 18, its free & total awsome.

Ill still prolly get the Wii one just for **** n giggles.

Comment

Just came out last Friday here in the UK, but after reading C4 teletext review, not sure wether to get it or not. Can anyone persude me one way or another, (looking for something thats fun multiplayer, but also good long single player mode)

Comment

Download the PC version Albatross 18, its free and online to test the waters, its probably a lot more fleshed out than the Wii version as it is, sans waving wand support.

Edit just realised id posted that in the thread before apologies for le spam du fromage, but it is fun.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 11-06-2007, 21:58.

Comment

I've played this on and off over the weekend, mainly sticking to the story mode. So far it seems pretty similar to Hot Shots, albeit with a Wii control method tacked on.

The Wii control method doesn't seem any where near as intuitive as the method found in Wii sports. I really enjoyed the Wii sports system of being able to take a few practise swings to judge your accuracy before just pressing and holding the A button to make a proper attempt. In Pangya, you have to swing your arm into the correct position and hold it there before holding A for the downwards part of the swing. The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, you have to hold your arm in some strange poses to achieve maximum power. Secondly, because the method of play seems a little counter-intuitive, the tendancy is to check the screen check the screen to see what the strike power is, all the while holding your arm in the air which quickly results in neck ache. If you're confident enough with your shots to just perform them without checking the screen, then the controls may not be such a problem. I personally found them quite awkward.

Also, as with Wii Sports, there game seems to have trouble registering the smaller degrees of movement required whilst putting. For some shots you'll find yourself kind of hooking your arm down whilst putting to get the game to register the movement.

Fortunately, there is a simple button based control scheme available as well, which basically plays in the same way as Hot Shots. So if the Wii control scheme isn't your thing, there is still a very playable game in there.

Aside from that, it has all of the extras, clothing, different caddies, caddy clothes, golf sets, balls, etc. that you'd expect to find, all available to purchase using the Pang points you earn during play. There are even items you can purchase to improve your game, if you look on the Albatross 18 website Baseley mentioned you'll see all of that.

There is a Story mode for each of the characters, you choose one of two to start, with the other available in the shop and more unlocked as you finish the story modes. Each story mode also branches into different paths upon completion with set requirements for each path (wearing certain clothes for example), these in turn offer more unlockables. There are also Stroke play and Match play modes for solo gaming.

Having had a chance to try the Multiplayer yet so I can't comment on any of the modes other than to clarify that there is no online mode as Johnny mentioned at the start of the thread.

At the moment it's a pretty enjoyable game in the same vein as Hot Shots. It feels a little weird not quite playing the game as intended (I almost feel guilty). But I'd rather use an older control system and enjoy the game, rather than try and turn it into a frustrating mess.

Comment

Nice, just what i wanted to hear Hot Shots Golf with Wii controls (except they aren't that great ) Shame about no online play

Comment

Working...
                          X