No announcement yet.

Railfan - PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is, to put it bluntly, brilliant. I have never played such a sad, and tragic, totally male game as this. Driving a train. Honking the horn. It just panders to the male genome at such a low level it's almost scary. It looks fabulous. I don't care it's streamed video that slows down and restarts, it just looks fantastic. I haven't got the slightest idea what I'm doing at the moment, but I have enjoyed my first half an hour with this more than I enjoyed my entire time spent playing the rest of the PS3 library put together.

So, question 1. ATC. I don't get it. Automatic Train Control? OK, but... what is it? The exercise seems no different to any of the others. I thought it would be like train autopilot.

Comment

I'm not sure about the game but I saw something on telly about ATC a while back.

If it's the same thing then it can alter the speed of the train according to what signals are showing on the track, therefore even if teh driver hasn't seen them the train will still slow down or stop as needed.

Does that sound like the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by cavalcade View Post

So, question 1. ATC. I don't get it. Automatic Train Control? OK, but... what is it? The exercise seems no different to any of the others. I thought it would be like train autopilot.
        I think in Railfan, the ATC kicks in if you are not adhereing to that speed limit as you past it and you lose points. I think.

Comment

Just found details of the accident that the documentary which reintroduced ATC to trains in the USA.

8 of 11 Train Crash Victims Die of Fire, Not Crash Injuries

I seem to remember that ATC had been standard for decades in trains but then it was removed in the 70s or 80s to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
            <slightly OT> but does anyone know of a site (other than Play-Asia) that is taking pre-orders for the Railfan:Taiwan version?
            Just to flesh out the above, there is a new Railfan game coming out this month (12th July), but its a Chinese release only...

If anyone has found an internet site doing pre-orders, please post back! Cheers

Comment

Railfan: Taiwan High Speed Rail found and pre-ordered! http://www.buygame2.com/eng/

Also sells on ebay as dave123eb.

Release date is 12th July. Its an ASIA only release, not scheduled for Japanese release.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Taiwan version of this yet? NCS say the game is in Chinese/English, but then show a load of pics with Chinese only.

Comment

Yep I have it. Got it yesterday and haven't had that much time to try it out, but my initial impressions are that its not a patch on the original.
                  Last edited by Spatial; 17-07-2007, 18:50.

Comment

Thats a shame, thought this might be a good way to get into train sims, being in English and all. I also thought it would be a cool way to see some of Taiwan, but by the sound of things thats not going to happen.

Would be interested to see what you think after you've had a proper do, and if you hate it, you can always flog it to me.

Comment

Thread revival, just managed to get hold of a cheap Korean copy which should hopefully be here within the next 7 days, I'd imagine I'll pick it up fairly quickly after playing the Densha series but has anyone got a scan of the English instruction sheet that came with the Asian version, found a link for one on www.densha-de-go.com but most of that site seems to be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                        Thread revival, just managed to get hold of a cheap Korean copy which should hopefully be here within the next 7 days, I'd imagine I'll pick it up fairly quickly after playing the Densha series but has anyone got a scan of the English instruction sheet that came with the Asian version, found a link for one on www.densha-de-go.com but most of that site seems to be down.
                        Here you are:

Comment

Originally posted by Master View Post
                          Here you are:

Awesome, I'd just about given up trying to find it online so thanks for that mate, really appreciate it.

Comment

I've suddenly had an urge to look for this - it's not available for less than &#163;65 anywhere, is it? Used prices of this are reaching RSG proportions on eBay.

Comment

I read your comments on HG101's blog about Taiwan High Speed Rail, and tbf if you didn't like that then I can't really see you getting on with this too much either as it's essentially the same game, abeit with more interesting scenery seeing as it's based around Tokyo and Chicago, it is a better game than Taiwan High Speed Rail though.

If you've got the ability to play Japanese PS2 games then your far better off getting hold of Densha De Go Final as that's without doubt the best game in the genre.

Comment

Working...
                              X