X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Mama with international friends JPN Wii

Official site is herere if you want to see vids of it in action
    東京都新宿区。株式会社タイトーの公式サイトです。申し訳ございませんが、お探しのページは存在しないか、アクセスできません。

Move over twilight princess & elebits (^_^) My most wanted wii game is finally here, pretend cooking FTW!

Soo whats different about the new wii version compared to the ds one? Well its not just a tarted up port theres actually quite a lot of new stuff this time but it does play like the ds original so if you have already played that you'll have a good idea what to expect.

This time theres 3 main cooking modes from the main menu. the first mode is the main single player mode where you have a cookbook full of recipies each recipe this time has a flag from the country the dish comes from which is a nice touch. As you complete the recipies you unlock another. I have noticed it will unlock a recipie from the same country as the dish you completed.

After completing a recipe a new marker will appear in the top right side of the screen which when clicked allows you to try challenge mode for that recipe, the brilliant thing is you can't do any practice modes. Which means you dont keep going back to the selection menu to do the next step it just blends all the bits together into one big one with no breaks. This is a very cool improvement & helps keep it flowing instead of taking you out to the selection screen everytime.

The first time you do a recipie though it is like the ds version where its split into single steps, but once completed you can try the challenge mode & see if you can get the clear medal for it.

As expected theres a few new cooking methods and they are all linked to the remote & its motion sensing, the good news is that they all seem to control ok so far. The frying bit is back in all its japanese glory but if you could manage to play the ds version then you shouldnt have any problems as it uses all the same commands (except the blowing one). The game tells you how you should be using the remote via a little window at the bottom right side of the screen so you shouldnt be totally stumped on what your meant to be doing plus when your playing the recipie for the first time you get to do practice mode if you want which tells you before you start what remote positions & motions the cooking step will require you to do.

The other 2 modes are challenge modes, one of them you go head to head with a second player as you both cook in split screen together to see who can do the recipie the fastest. The other mode is single player but you play against different people from around the world each having their own national dishes. If you win against them you get little presents to display in your kitchen.

The graphics are really nice & have a plesant cell shaded look to them but some of the ingredients look pretty realistic which is a nice touch. The music is like a updated version of the jingles from the ds game which is no bad thing as i rather liked the music in that. The japanese level is the same as the ds version so if you could get through that you will have no problems at all.

Anyway thats it for now as im off to do some more cooking, hopefully theres some rewards for getting all golds or clearing all the challenges. I'll post if i find anything new.
    Last edited by importaku; 10-02-2007, 10:45.

I hope there will be an US version soon...BTW, what about the multiplayer, if any?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      I hope there will be an US version soon...BTW, what about the multiplayer, if any?
      I don't know about US version, but European version is coming out in march. Game does also have two player multiplayer.

Comment

20th march for the Us version

Comment

So yeah, Yes asia lost my order but I just grabbed one of eBay in the meantime.
          Put about an hour into this since getting it this evening and really loving it. Similar to the DS one but the Wiimote controls add a lot.

importaku (or anyone else) could you do a quick menu translation or just even tell me how to save?
          My hour playtime is lost now as I forgot/didn't know how to save

Comment

Just for you Johnny (^_^)

On the title screen theres 2 options

はじめから
            Start from beginning  

つつきから
            Continue

Once in theres 3 save slots, after you have picked a save slot it takes you to 4 options to pick

Top left is single player cooking
            Top right is single player cooking against computer controlled opponents from all round the world (beat them to win items for your kitchen)
            Bottom left is 2 player cooking
            Bottom right is options

The only bit you'll need is the options screen which is.......

タイトルにもどる
            Return to the title screen

データのしょきか
            Delete Save data (yes) はい   (no) いいえ
            (warning you dont get another confirmation if you pick yes)

キッチンかんしょう
            View kitchen

クレジット
            View credits

Right the only bit left is in single player cooking mode, when you get the recipe book up theres 3 options at the bottom of the screen.

もどる れんしゅう はじめる
            Back Practice Start

And when you complete a recipe for the first time a new option in the top right hand side of the screen will appear. Its a circle with the words つくろう!If you click it, it will turn to キャレンジ (challenge) you can now attempt the entire recipe without the help screen popping up between every step.

I think thats everything you need
            Last edited by importaku; 21-02-2007, 23:24. Reason: spelling as per usual, will i ever post a mistake free post LOL?

Comment

You're a legend mate, really appreciate that!
              I see why my save went missing btw - I picked the delete option

No worries though as having to redo some of the early dishes isn't a chore or anything

Comment

as this is out this week in the US does two player require 2 nunchuks?
                or does it require the nunchuks at all?

any info greatly received

Comment

I've played the us version for an hour or two and so far not needed nunchucks at all.

Comment

I got the US version last week and I must say it's a total stinker. There's nothing wrong with the idea of the game, it's just so fragmented with each micro game being broken up with a score screen and intro that you end up sitting around doing nothing as much as you are playing. That said, the micro games are rather repetitive and not terribly exciting.

Visuals are adequate at best and the music is sounds like it's from a lift, but I like Mama's heavily accented voice. As a game though just find this to be a very dull and I really wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

the intro bits telling you how to make the dish?

once you've done it you can select "challenge" rather than make it and all the intro's aren't there and it goes from one section (cracking eggs for example) straight into the next one (pan buttering)

i found it fun
                      not amazing but a decent waste of time

Comment

Any further impressions? I was tempted to try it but doesn't sound great...

Comment

I really like it, I have the PAL version and find it better than wario ware, it seems a little lazy they didn't give mama a new voice, but hey. Theres 55 recipes to cook, and everyone who's played it so far has had a laugh, the 2 player cook-off mode is pretty fun.

I find it more structured and overall more fun than wario ware, which I sold pretty quickly. I wouldn't pay full price for cooking mama so its just as well I traded stuff in

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                            I got the US version last week and I must say it's a total stinker. There's nothing wrong with the idea of the game, it's just so fragmented with each micro game being broken up with a score screen and intro that you end up sitting around doing nothing as much as you are playing. That said, the micro games are rather repetitive and not terribly exciting.

Visuals are adequate at best and the music is sounds like it's from a lift, but I like Mama's heavily accented voice. As a game though just find this to be a very dull and I really wouldn't recommend it.
                            Agree with Kotatsu on this, got the game today after wanting to play it for ages. I'd been put off by decidedly average to poor reviews but got it cheap-ish in the for sale forum.

Kinda wish I hadn't. I loved it on the DS but on the Wii it feels...I don't know, it's hard to describe but having been playing Big Brain Academy and Eledees today, the controls feel uncomfortable and a bit, well, wrong!

I don't mind the visuals but like other Wii games it has black bars on the left and right of the screen. I don't mind it when a game is as good as Eledees etc, but I'm really sick of it. How hard can it be to get Wii games in widescreen, properly?

Normally I judge a Wii game on how my wife likes it, she loves Eledees and pretty much every other Wii game to date, I haven't shown her this yet. She didn't mind the DS version (I liked it more) so we'll see if I sell it on or not

Really disappointed/10

Comment

Working...
                            X