Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)

Being a huge fan of the Gamecube versions of GNT (one of my favourite 3D fighting series), it was obvious that I'd be looking forward to the Wii follwup.

Sadly, after a good playthrough of this game, I'd have to say the new team assigned to this ****ed up immensely. Disappointing that the game only has 14 characters (though understandable since this is based on the first arc of the new Shippuuden anime series) they have mostly been updated. New specials, some new combos and a little balancing for the top tier characters such as Uchiha Itachi (no more aerial bunshin spamming). All this is nice and of course expected, but what really breaks this game is the inclusion of "stun block".

Basically, stun blocking means if you press B->B, the opponent blocking your 2 hits can IMMEDIATELY strike back whilst you are completely vulnerable. Therefore whoever blocks first, wins. This huge flaw takes away the pressure that was applied in the earlier games. There are no safe strings to perform, leaving me baffled as to how this game got past the testing stages without questions being asked and eyebrows being raised. Perhaps stun blocking was implemented for the Wii mote controls (this game, unlike Bleach, can use GC controller too), but even then, if an opponent is attacking you, simply waving your mote about results in a guaranteed hit/combo for you.

Another huge **** up lies in the lack of i-frames when you're knocked on the ground, meaning opponents will continue to dish out punishment leaving you COMPLETELY helpless. These two flaws (character roster aside) make it seem as this game was simply rushed to coincide with the anime launch and possibly before Naruto Hero Accel hits the PS2.

Those are my basic impressions. Avoid this game, GNT/anime fan or not, not worth playing in the least. Its a shame, since I was hoping this would give the Wii some massive playtime.

Mine's on its way, dissappointing to hear this. How are the Wiimote controls btw? In Bleach they are alright but get a bit repetitive. At least here, you can use them in different ways for specials etc.

This can also be played with a GC or classic controller, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
      Mine's on its way, dissappointing to hear this. How are the Wiimote controls btw? In Bleach they are alright but get a bit repetitive. At least here, you can use them in different ways for specials etc.

This can also be played with a GC or classic controller, right?
      Wiimote controls are what you would expect. You have more things to do, like charging up a Rasengan, etc. Still, it doesn't get past the stun blocking and obvious flaws which destroy the game.

The game uses either the Wiimote, GC pad or the classic controller.

Comment

Been playing this today & to be honest i dont think its that bad.

The controls take a bit of getting used to but once your sorted they are pretty good. A bit tiring on the arms though but i think its because im getting into it so i really goto town when i activate a special.

The game mechanics dont seem that broken to me. If your continuosly getting attacked while down you can always pull off kawarimi (chakra permitting) to get back into it without sitting there taking damage. As i play it a lot more i might notice if its broken but so far it seems ok to me.

The music & graphics are pretty good too & i love the fact you can move to different bits of the fighting arenas by knocking your opponent out of the ring.

Lack of characters is a bit of a bummer but its to be expected as its closely following the anime. The characters do seem more balanced now, unlike GNT4 where Kyubi naruto was extremely overpowered.

Comment

Originally posted by Razz View Post
          Another huge **** up lies in the lack of i-frames when you're knocked on the ground, meaning opponents will continue to dish out punishment leaving you COMPLETELY helpless. These two flaws (character roster aside) make it seem as this game was simply rushed to coincide with the anime launch and possibly before Naruto Hero Accel hits the PS2.
          A bit like this? The other videos I have seen don't seem too bad so maybe it's just because Sasori is so huge. I don't think that the punching thing matters too much: if your first punch is blocked then don't try a second or follow the punch with a different move such as a throw. Unless I have misunderstood something, I think this adds to the game and I don't think you'll have a western stand-off with each person waiting for the other to make the first move. Ease down on the melodrama and just enjoy the game!

I have a few questions to which I'd really appreciate a reply.

1. Is there a widescreen mode?
          2. Has the colour depth improved?
          3. Are there still jaggies?

I assume that the answer to all of these questions is no but hope springs eternal?

Comment

widescreen mode, not that i noticed.

colour depth, it seems a lot nicer than the gc versions but still looks very similar.

Jaggies, yes they are there but i dont have mine running through progressive component just interlaced so i cant tell if they are on progressive. To be honest they arent that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Been playing this today & to be honest i dont think its that bad.

The controls take a bit of getting used to but once your sorted they are pretty good. A bit tiring on the arms though but i think its because im getting into it so i really goto town when i activate a special.

The game mechanics dont seem that broken to me. If your continuosly getting attacked while down you can always pull off kawarimi (chakra permitting) to get back into it without sitting there taking damage. As i play it a lot more i might notice if its broken but so far it seems ok to me.

The music & graphics are pretty good too & i love the fact you can move to different bits of the fighting arenas by knocking your opponent out of the ring.

Lack of characters is a bit of a bummer but its to be expected as its closely following the anime. The characters do seem more balanced now, unlike GNT4 where Kyubi naruto was extremely overpowered.

Actually, you can't kawarimi off the ground anymore, so basically, in this game, you can knock someone on the ground after a heavy damage combo, CONTINUE to deal even more damage whilst they are on the ground, then when they get up you can time it so that they are hit by a wake-up super special...Thats basically one shotting them. Broken mate.

Another gripe is the stage changing during battle. It will cancel any special you attempted and also cancels any comboes you tried to pull off. Thats just wank. Its more of a nuisance than a novelty.

And if you've watched the special exhibition videos, you'll see half the characters have new specials which are just combo strings cut and pasted from GNT4 on the gamecube. Noooooo idea why they even did that. :/

Comment

Originally posted by melody View Post
                For those who don't have or want to install Divx webplayer here is the youtube version
                Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thank you importaku. Maybe in the next game we'll finally have 16:9?

Originally posted by Razz View Post
                  Actually, you can't kawarimi off the ground anymore, so basically, in this game, you can knock someone on the ground after a heavy damage combo, CONTINUE to deal even more damage whilst they are on the ground, then when they get up you can time it so that they are hit by a wake-up super special...Thats basically one shotting them. Broken mate.
                  Nobody forces you to do this (and the computer isn't likely to do this against you either). Not all of us play games to break them nor do we use such tactics against friends because it just isn't fun. Yes it's an oversight but if you let something like this ruin your fun are you really playing it for the right reasons?

Hopefully by the time Shippuden 2 comes out we'll have a way of playing this on other region Wiis and they'll have ironed out these niggles. Four tails Naruto will probably be even more over-powered than one tail Naruto in GNT4 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by melody View Post
                    Naruto will probably be even more over-powered than one tail Naruto in GNT4 lol.
                    Quoted for truth, its shocking how over powered he is. Jump fireball, jump fireball, jump fireball (lather rinse repeat) its that big its hard to avoid.

Comment

Working...
                    X