Def Jam Icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Def Jam Icon

Picked this up yesterday from work, wanted to try it out despite the guys at work slating it. I played it for about 4 hours yesterday and can say it is a decent "fighting" game however the combat seems like a step back from the previous Def Jam games. The combat system seems quite sluggish and slow (if you played the demo you might know what I mean), fights almost become chess-like with you waiting for your opponent to make the move first hoping they make a mistake so you can swoop in to cause him some "hurt". The controls, mostly, work well with the face buttons for quick attacks and the right analogue stick, Fight Night like, for stronger attacks, but they don't work as well as they do in Fight Night. A new feature is DJ Turntables which, if you can get the hang of, works well. At the start of the fight you pick a song for your fighter, then during the fight, to cause major damage to your opponent, ensure your song keeps playing and then when your opponent goes down you spin the record which causes objects in the environment to explode/move causing sizeable damage to your opponent. This feature is key to winning fights at times often changing impending defeat into potential victory but EA should have added a tutorial option to the game so you can learn about it as when you first begin you most likely won't know how to use this feature to its fullest.
    Graphics wise this game delivers, not really a surprise as it uses the Fight Night engine. The character models are detailed and this is shown off well when you are creating your character. The real winner in the graphics department are the stages, they really do very good, and they look even better when the music is pumping and the stages are bouncing along with the beats. The game only has a few modes of which the main one is Build a Label and seems like it could be provide some fun, but then again I only played a small portion of it so can't fully comment on it. Overall I would say it is a decent game and maybe worth a pick up if you are into fighting games, but just don't expect anything like the previous Def Jam games.

I completed the story mode of this last night.

I really really enjoyed it. I think you have to like hip hop to get the most out of it though.

My favourite part of the game is getting the best of another fighter, and then mixing your preferred tune into the 'arena'.

It is a total departure from previous def jam entries, but i think its taken the games into a new fresh direction.

EA have tried something new, instead of just shinier graphics on top of the same engine, and i think they should be commended for it.

I know a lot of people will not agree as they loathe rap/hip hop, but i would say this is the best brawler on the 360.

And did i mention the graphics? I love the way sean paul winces everytime i twunt him across the face and send him into the explosive scenery.

Im surprised the first play thread is only 2 posts long - I was expecting this to be BIG /westwood mode off/

Comment

Very late to this thread but just got this yesterday. I played the demo when it was first around and didn't get on with it. The fighting felt cumbersome, I didn't understand the mixing elements, and it didn't play like the last def jam, which was had more of a wrestling slant on it.
      Since shopto.com had this on special on friday for 9.99 on the 360 I decided to dive in and give this game more of a chance, and I am glad that I did.
      I have only played it for a short while up to now, but if you give the game a chance and get to understand the whole music aspect of the gameplay then it is a very entertaining and fresh take on the one on one fighting genre. The fighting is all about timing and taking advantage of mistakes that your enemy may make. What I initally wrote off as being slow and cumbersome has now became paced and considerate.
      The career mode seems to follow a similar path to the previous def jam 'NY' game and there are options galore to pimp out your custom character (which looks the most lifelike I have seen in a long while).
      On the minus side there seems to be a lesser roster to chose from than before with most of the last games more interesting characters such as Rollins and Danny Trejo (unless they are unlockable) unfortunatly missing.
      I'm by no means a huge hip hop fan but I think this game is pretty good so far and I'm glad I didn't let my initial impressions cloud my judgement.
      Last edited by Skull Commander; 12-12-2007, 08:59.

Comment

I tired to get back into this game a couple of weeks ago, but the fighting is just too damn slow and unresponsive for my liking. I have a feeling i will eventually complete it jus so i can see how far i can take my decorated character.

Im a HUOWGE sucker of pimping out my characters ghetto style

Gotta have that 'Doe Boi Fresh' look in my swagger, keepin' my characters game on point! There is SO much ish to lace up yah dude, its hard to stay focused sometimes.........

/me hood mode off

Comment

Fo sho, you gotta look fresh to death all day erry day!

Comment

Working...
          X