Afterburner Black Falcon [PSP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afterburner Black Falcon [PSP]

Started Afteburner PSP tonight. I'm a big fan of Afterburner II on the Megadrive so I went into this expecting a good game, but one not quite as great as that classic. How wrong I was. The game plays amazingly well. A lot more fluid and responsive than the MD/MCD games, although they're pretty much identical in terms of controls etc. You have your standard guns and missiles, with Triangle being the barrel roll button. L is used to brake and slow things down and R is used to speed things up with the Afterburner. There's a lot more customization here too with a whole range of different planes able to be bought tuned however you like. The first plane is a bit slow but after that they're fast as hell and it's a thrillride just trying to control them which is just the way the series should be. There's a corny story tacked on about 13 jets going missing (these are the 13 bosses which are at the end of some of the levels) but it isn't essential or anything. Overall, this is a great update to an all time classic series and has me even more excited for the upcoming PS3/360 port of the new arcade game.

This is bloody great and the perfect PSP game, I just wish the graphics were that little bit better . AS for the 360 or PS3 ports , don't hold your breath, thats just mags thinking they now best, when they don't

Comment

Quite enjoyed this when I recently reviewed it. Like Outrun it's all about the experience, and while it looks bloody horrible in places, it's got a lovely sense of speed, the action is non-stop and there's plenty to unlock.

The analogue nub is far too sensitive on some of the quicker planes, and it doesn't quite have the accessibility of high score pull of Climax but this is a surprisingly good shooter that deserves to be played by anyone who loved the original.

Comment

Working...
      X