Konami Arcade Collection (NDS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konami Arcade Collection (NDS)

I noticed there wasn't a First-Play for this yet, so I decided to add my views!

Well, the games included in this wonderful cart for the Nintendo DS are the following:

Gradius
    Rush n' Attack
    Track and Field
    Yie Ar Kung Fu
    Scramble
    Contra
    Tutankham
    Pooyan
    Time Pilot
    Roc 'n Rope
    Circus Charlie
    Super Basketball
    Raod Fighter
    Twinbee
    Kicker

That's 15 retro games in all. Extremely good value for money before you even start, especially if you are a retro-freak!

But how do they all play? To be honest, I think everyone has their favourites from this list, and for their own particular reasons. All of the games are straight arcade conversions, rather than emulated games (e.g. Gradius from the NES), which is great for starters.

The second great thing about this cart is the amazing options for everything. You can play the majority of games vertically as well as horizontally (e.g. turning your DS on its side) - which is brilliant for Contra and Twinbee. You can tweak all of the games to exactly how you want via the ability to modify the inside of the arcade machine - if you want infinite continues, then you've got it. If you want the game on high difficulty, then you can have that too. You can also even change the autofire function which is really useful on Track and Field and Gradius for getting to later levels.
    There are options to listen to every soundtrack, configure all of the buttons, and also to view hints and help manuals too.

But the brilliant thing about this cart is that you can record your game, and review it too. Konami have also inserted a video with each different game, showing beginners (and experts alike) how to complete areas and beat bosses, as well as buttons used to do so (e.g. a complete walkthrough of Yie Ar Kung Fu, with button presses on how to do the moves). This is all linked to a download option which means you can send your videos to another DS. Class.

On the 2-players side, it's just as good. One game cart is enough for you to play your mates, as it sends the info directly onto another DS. You can play Co-Op as well as against your chums!

To be honest, this is not leaving my DS at the moment. It is totally what the DS is great at - just pure pick up and play. Initially I thought I'd buy this simply just for Contra, Gradius and Track and Field (my favourite Konami games), but once you start to play the other games you get hooked by their simplicity and an initial 5 minute mess-about game turns into 30 minutes or an hour because you just want to beat your last score or get a little further each time.

The only thing missing from this game is the Wi-Fi mode. This is a real shame as it would have been unreal to just try 100m sprint on Track and Field against someone else from around the world. Or fight another worldwide opponent on Yie Ar Kung Fu.

If you love retro games, get this. If you like just a couple of these games, get this. Damn it, if you love video games GET THIS!! I can't recommend it enough.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that the Japanese cart is completely in ENGLISH?? What are you waiting for....

fdsbh

this is on order, but ordered it with something else and they are holding onto it for me until the other item comes into stock

but i almost posted where is Gryzor, then just before i made myself look like a chump, i noticed Contra

Comment

I was really looking forward to finishing Scramble after getting addicted to the version on the 360, but I find that none of the screen set-ups work particularly well (for me).

Full screen makes the text go blocky, and it's almost impossible to see your bullets - it seems like every 5th horizontal line is faded out, which looks a little odd. The next mode shrinks it all down a bit too much for my liking, and allthough the visuals are clearer, the bullets are still lost.

Vertical modes are a nightmare to control, and teh text and graphics still look odd to me.

Having said all that, I'm really enjoying this compilation, and the extras are particularly welcome. Finally seeing how to bomb the base in Scramble was great, and seeing the run through of 'Rush'n Attack' made me think I'll never be good enough to beat it..

Great to have, but not as essential to me as Parodius portable on PSP..

Comment

Tbh I cannot stop playing Gradius. I pumped so many coins into that arcade machine when it first came out, and it's just superb. The music is spot on although if I had to gripe it would be the lack of the speech in the game (I used to love it saying "laser" when you powered up).

Contra is pretty controllable when flipping the DS - it's just a question of re-mapping the controls, and that's the same as the other games really.

Still an bloody brilliant purchase though.

fdsbh

Comment

Originally posted by fdsbh View Post
          if I had to gripe it would be the lack of the speech in the game (I used to love it saying "laser" when you powered up).
          The original Gradius coin-op didn't have speech for the power-ups though, did it? Speech for the power-ups was only introduced from Gradius II onwards, afaicr...

Comment

Salamander was the first to use speech, I think.

Comment

i got this at the end of last week and it is indeed a great collection

track and field makes it worthwhile anyway

i noticed that the posted mentioned that you can recorded your game which is great

but every game has a complete recorded file already on there and its quite amazing to watch somebody 1 life Contra or 1 life Gradius
              Last edited by buster_broon; 08-05-2007, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                i got this at the end of last week and it is indeed a great collection

track and field makes it worthwhile anyway
                Buster, is it true that the rendition of "Chariots Of Fire" that plays when you complete a round of events or enter your name on the high-scores table was removed from this version of Track & Field? I heard that it was due to copyright matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  The original Gradius coin-op didn't have speech for the power-ups though, did it?
                  Nah, no speech in it.

Comment

Doesn't Track and Field wreck havoc on your DS butons though?

I wouldnt like to punish a handheld's buttons like that - pads are fine as they are easily replacable but not handhelds.

Comment

This sounds great, might have to order it!

MovieTyme have it for £16.99 delivered if anyone's interested (link here).

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                        Doesn't Track and Field wreck havoc on your DS butons though?

I wouldnt like to punish a handheld's buttons like that - pads are fine as they are easily replacable but not handhelds.
                        rapid fire owns you - and 7 second 100 metres

unsure about track and field - but will check it out

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                          rapid fire owns you - and 7 second 100 metres

unsure about track and field - but will check it out

7 seconds?

My record is 4.55 on C64 version without rapidfire. Doesn't rapid fire defeat the objective?

I think this is a great collection of games, but with my fave track and field I am a bit concerned that I'm gonna wreck the buttons. My joystick waggling skills are much better than my two button hammering skills!

Comment

Originally posted by kramer View Post
                            I think this is a great collection of games, but with my fave track and field I am a bit concerned that I'm gonna wreck the buttons. My joystick waggling skills are much better than my two button hammering skills!
                            my button bashing skillz do not pay the bills

always seem to be middle the road

and i dont want to wreck my ds - but still great nevertheless

Comment

Working...
                            X