Front Mission 1st - DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Mission 1st - DS

I got this after Garnett kept raving about it on 1up Yours and it is only a tenner on play-asia.

I love japanese robots with all my body and i am also a sucker for tactics style games and since i've started playing my DS again with travelling to a new job it seemed to make sense to give it a shot.

it is certainly import friendly, all game text is in english but the story is 99% in japanese. so you can play fine but have very little idea what is going on.

it is a standard tactics style game; move units round a grid and engage in menu based combat. there is nothing new in this but having said that, the combat is fun and solid.

the movement and menus are done on the bottom isometric screen and when combat happens, the top screen shows the two mechs duking it out with machine guns, rockets and hardcore upper cuts.

i'm not a fan of the graphical style. it is all muted greens, browns and greys and it simply isn't very appealing. the cover art is done by Yo****aka Amano and the in game graphics follow his style to varying degrees. I personally don't like his art for this game but i like looking at military grade robots so ho hum.

i haven't played any front mission games before but i'm sorely tempted to give number 4 a try on the ps2 after this.

i can heartily recommend it to any robot fans or tactics gamers, it ticks all the required boxes for both.

it will also fill the time until armored core gets it's european release in june and i can look at HD robots.

i've just searched to find some screenies for you and i found a load of images of front mission 1st on the ps1. my detective skills lead me to believe this may be a remake. SquareEnix in handheld remake shocker...

anyway, the screens!

Just a quick question on the language - are the menus etc in game English or Japanese? Interested in this but loads of confusing Japanese menus would put me off a bit.

Comment

From those scans it looks like the in game options are English but the story line is in Japanesse

Comment

all menus (combat and between battle stuff like shops) are in english. the only thing you won't understand is the story.

Comment

What's the point? Isn't the story the main reason for playing the game?

ps. anyone want my mint japanese version of FM4?

Comment

Originally posted by GordonJ View Post
            What's the point? Isn't the story the main reason for playing the game?

ps. anyone want my mint japanese version of FM4?
            Surely the main reason is the gameplay.

Personally, I'm very tempted to get this. I love stuff like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem and am a bit of a robot nut so it sounds right up my street...especially at a tenner.

EDIT: Just went to buy it and it's gone back up to £25.
            Last edited by Kaladron; 28-04-2007, 21:09.

Comment

Working...
            X