Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Red Star

Anyone remembers?
    It's finally out here and I've to say that it lives up to my expectations.

As you may or may not know, The Red Star is a shmup/brawler hybrid and this combination works quite well here. One moment you're comboing and juggling your foes to death and in the next second you're thrown against an enemy boss which spits thousand of crawling bullet patterns at you, like in a manic shmup and that all this doesn't feel disjointed is rather impressive.

The controls are nicely laid out and it's easy to get the hang of everything, while it's still not too simplistic. The controls really feel spot-on and it's a blast to punch and shoot yourself through the game.
    Apart from your three guns, that can be changed "onthefly" (and which have a heat meter, so you can't just shoot all the time), you have a healthy amount of melee moves at your disposal. Combos are pulled off rather easily and you also have the possibility to use a shield, which is good at absorbing melee attacks, but not so good for projectiles. It also has to regenerate after you've taken a few hits. It really dosn't feel tacked-on, it becomes an integral part of the gameplay, especially in later stages.
    You're also given a health bar, which allows you to take some hits before biting the dust and you'll be thankfull for it, when the difficulty wrapps up. You do have unlimited lives, but I've your health reaches zero, you're sent back to the beginning of the stage.
    The possibility to choose between three fighters at the beginning and an upgrade system, where you can allocate points to various stats after each level, are boosting the replay value.

The graphics and sounds are really nice imo. I just adore the art desgin and style (the art of the game is based on a Comic).

There's a two player option and the game is rather long for such an action title (I'm at level 15 right now, but I'm not too far away from the end).

There are also some weak points, for example the difficulty is nearly non-existent early on, although it gets hard in later levels. I just thought that it took to long (the first time I ran out of health was at a boss at stage number 12 or 13, don't remember exactly).
    Part of the problem may be, that the combos can be pulled of so easily and some enemies are rather helpless against gunfire, so in the earlier levels, it's just a matter of pulling of those mindless combos over and over. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be any kind of difficulty setting to counterbalance this.
    Another nitpick would be, that I haven't seen anything like a score until now, like in many other arcade games. You get a rating after each level, that determines how many points you can spend on upgrdaes, but it does look like you won't be playing it for highscroes, which smeels like wasted potential, cause you can hit and juggle dead enemies, so the potential for wrapping up combos and scores would be there.
    There are also rather long interruptions (30s-1min) between levels, where the game is autosaving (can't be turned off) and where you're getting a brief intruduction for the next level, in form of a little text dialogue. It bothers me, that the game is loading the level, after you've clicked through all the text, would it be that hard to load the level data in the background, while you're reading the text snippets?
    The fact that you have to start over levels from scratch when you die, is a bit problematic too, cause many of the levels are relatively long, with sub-bosses and such. You can't blast through them either, cause bralwer-like you have to kill all enemies on-screen before you can proceed.
    Although not a fault of the game itself, the absence of a 60Hz option in my PAL version, makes me a little sad (at least it's full screen).

But all in all, while this may sound negative, these are all relatively minor quibbles in contrast to the sheer fun and excitment I had with this game. It's one of the best action titles a played in a while and for its budget price, I can't recommened it high enough.

I'm so eager to try out the other characters and the two player mode, so there's lots of replay value, despite the length of the game.
    I'd agree with 1ups 8 out of 10 review.

Too bad that it took them so long to get this baby out.
    Last edited by Ryo Saeba; 05-05-2007, 08:41.

Played it a bit myself and I'm also glad it's finally out - I mostly agree with you, only a bit less enthusiastic. It's pretty good, it just... feels like a game that should have been out two years ago at least. The graphics are noticeably low-poly, the effects aren't that great, the music's pretty lo-fi, no speech, annoying loading pauses - and yes, the way the game's laid out smacks of either a rushed job or antiquated thinking. No checkpoints. Difficulty spikes. It saves after you make your choices levelling up, not before (so it's quite possible to **** yourself over and then either have to struggle on with bad choices or restart the game all over again).

But it is fun. I haven't touched it in a while because I couldn't get Makita past the first level 11 mid-boss, I think it was, the second level where the teleporting pyramid turns up - I simply cannot dodge those shots and stay locked on to it all the time and one bullet does so much damage (armour doesn't affect projectiles, only melee attacks) I only need to take two or three hits and I panic and go to pieces. Tried re-doing my stats and ****ed myself over, as I said before; I boosted her first gun up so much without working on the cooldown that I simply couldn't shoot fast enough to kill the enemies before they swarmed me. Tried a few levels as Kyuzo, but then I got a bit fed up with it and shelved it.

But it is fun. It's punchy and satisfying (to be quite honest, I actually prefer the feel of the combat in this to the opening sequence of God of War II - yes, really. I like games where my blows feel like they connect, thanks ). Sure, the graphics are technically limited but the world is beautifully designed and wonderfully immersive (I was a fan of the comic, got the two trade paperbacks). The music reminds me of Freedom Fighters (a massive compliment coming from me). It's just a pleasure to play, really, if you don't need everything with that super-hi-def ultimate next-gen feel. I couldn't put it down for days and I really want to go back to it. 8/10 I'm not sure about, but for £14.99 (probably cheaper online) I'd definitely recommend it.

Comment

Is this any different to the pretty-much finished code that was leaked years ago?

Comment

No idea. I didn't know it had been when I posted that, though I guessed as much since from one of the comments on Eurogamer.

I would imagine not; it really does feel as if it's been knocking around in this state for quite some time, just waiting for someone to publish it.

Comment

I think I read it's got just minor changes to the leaked xbox one.

I'm really enjoying it, I did the first 11 missions last night. I reminds me a lot of Cannon Spike but with a much greater emphasis on melee attacks. Well worth it's bargain price.

Comment

EDIT: I didn't see this thread. heres my thoughts below.

For those that don't know, The Red Star is a game that has been known for quite sometime. Many of us would have forgotten about it by now as many believed it was canned. It has finally been released and it was well worth the wait.

The presentation is definetly old school, you'd think you were playing an old megadrive game when you boot it up for the first time. The game itself is pure unadulterated fun. Its more or less a scrolling beat-em-up shooter. It plays like a cross between streets of rage, a lil bit of devil may cry if it was a side scroller, contra and any bullet hell shooter.

The level design is familier to any 2d scrolling beatemup youve played before. Its basically get from point a-b blasting while kicking the crap out of baddies and numerous level bosses. The gameplay is very easy to grasp once you have learned all the controls, when you have the hang of your pulling off some serious combos and special moves. You also can shoot and sidestep aswell as jab, so dodging those bullets while firing is heavenly. When your juggling everything together thats when your in pure bliss. The enemy and boss design is great, even the bullet memory patterns are good, so good you'd think this was a japanese shooter.

Each character plays differently, so your getting something different each time you play. Just looking at the cover reminds me of the time many years ago when i first picked up gunstar and like gunstar i can see myself playing this in many years to come. The only dissappointing thing is that there is no 60hz option to be seen. I haven't tested to see if it has progressive scan.

The great thing is that it can be picked up in your local game for 12.99. Absolute bargain, check out the trailer below.

WhichGame.net brings you the latest gameplay trailer from the PS2 game, The Red Star, coming this summer.

Comment

I'm thinking about picking this up later today as ive been fancying it for a bit and its only £9.99 at my local choices.

One quick question though, if it does not have a 60hz option, is it at least optimised speed wise? or does it run slow?. If it isnt optimised it might put me off a bit as it would probabaly make the shmup like bits alot less challenging

Comment

it not only doesn't have 60hz it doesn't have progressive scan either which the us version does have. I dont know if its been optimised or not, thinking about it i think it does have borders. I can't remember, i haven't played it in ages. I would recommend picking the us version if you can. I wish i did.

Comment

Working...
                X