Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars (Xbox 360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars (Xbox 360)

Kind of surprised no else has started a thread on this game yet, been out a few days now on the 360 and is a very good game. This is how a console RTS should be done, the controls are just spot on. You simply use the right trigger to bring up a wealth of the commands/actions at your fingertips. You can move around the battlefield and zoom in/out by using the right and left analog stick respectively. It will take you about 2-3 minutes to get used to the controls, there is even a handy tutorial to ease you in.

Onto the gameplay, it is pretty much standard RTS fare.....Command & Conquer style, everyone knows what goes on here. Graphically the game is quite impressive, there is nice detail in the environments and characters. If any you have played EA's previous RTS attempt on the 360, Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II, then you will know that when you zoomed in to the battles the graphics didn't look too great at all. Well this issue has been addressed with this title, even when you zoom in the graphics are still crisp, sharp and clear.

Single player wise you have three campaigns to go through, of which the first is the GDI one and you unlock the other two campaigns as you go along. I have only played a few of the GDI missions but I really enjoyed them, baring in mind I am not a huge RTS fan at all. Single player is all well and good but online multiplayer is where this game shines. I played online with a few mates yesterday evening and we had some great battles. There are different online modes but the one we played was seige where all players have a time limit (ours was 15 minutes) to set up their base and troops, all the while there is a barrier around your base so you can't attack each other until the time limit is over. This might sound boring but add in the factor of the live vision camera and it is a huge amount of fun. These online battles can range from all guns blazing short to long tense stand offs, it really does depend on how each players sets out their troops. If you have a 360 and enjoy your RTS games, I would say "get this in".

I wonder what state this is in with regards to patches - there's a huge 1.05 patch coming to the PC which makes a lot of changes to improve the balance.

The online modes sound interesting, I don't think the PC has those at the moment.

John

Comment

Has the the camera panning speed been addressed with an option that can be changed?

I found it WAY too fast for me in the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
        Has the the camera panning speed been addressed with an option that can be changed?

I found it WAY too fast for me in the demo.
        Slightly slower now

Comment

This works suprisingly well on the pad (i'm shocked). Feels strange at first, not being able to draw a square round the chaps you want to use but you get used to it.
          Graphics are nice and detailed and the FMV is as good/bad as ever.

My only gripe at the mo is that i find the text size too small on the side bar. When i quickly want to build stuff i have to scoot forward on the sofa so i can see what i'm doing.

Comment

Been playing this this evening. Its good solid fun. Its very much C&C being C&C so if you've enjoyed previous installments you'll enjoy this.

Comment

Good solid comments boys and great initial post Eezee Ryder, exactly what I needed to know

Not a mad RTS fan but when you get an RTS game that does things right it is a thing of beauty. Am gonna download the demo to give it a whirl tonight but can def see myself trading in Spiderman, now that it is finished, and a couple of other thing for this, the visuals during battle look insane.

What is the resource collection like?? This is always something that has grated on me in RTS games even though it is a necessary feature.

Comment

Dead simple. There's tiberium that you collect (and thats basically automated - just watch out your harvester doesn't get attacked) and build power plants.

In terms of collecting its not something you really have to worry about. Its the spending thats important.

Comment

Good news, I feel the resourse collection takes a bit of the enjoyment out of RTS games, when I just want to get on with the battles but that sounds simple enough and dont think it will get in the way.

I have the demo on its way today after Halo finishes so will get a shot of it tonight before probably pick it up tomorrow then we can get some live games organised that is of course if Halo3 doesn't take over everything in my life

Comment

Me and Jack have the full game Mardigan. Its fantastic tbh. Theres a couple of niggly things but I never thought an RTS would work so well on a console. I've tried to convince Yoshi to get it but I think Im fighting a losing battle

Comment

Well, theres a little bit more to it but that's essentially it. There is actually another type of tiberium, gems, which is collected in exactly the same way it just gives two or three times the amount.

It doesn't make things anymore complicated really, just gives added strategy in deciding where to expand as gems are usually placed in dangerous positions (center of map etc).

Edit: Just to be clear, I've only played the PC version but I'd be suprised if gems weren't included in the 360 one.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyS Badge View Post
                        Me and Jack have the full game Mardigan. Its fantastic tbh. Theres a couple of niggly things but I never thought an RTS would work so well on a console. I've tried to convince Yoshi to get it but I think Im fighting a losing battle
                        I mentioned it to him aswell but he started shouting Halo3 then threw a TV through a window so I think its best we leave him to it

I will be getting this tonight hopefully so will be up for a few battles over the weekend if you up for it??

Played the briefly earlier today and it was solid. DEF need to get myself into the tutorial first thoguh so get allthe squad command shortcuts and stuff sorted but felt great. Send a squad of plane things to destroy the tanks that wiped out my infantry was sweet they poor little guys didnt stand a chance but they fought like Heroes, I will never forget them

Comment

Just like to say thanks to Rusty and Jack for showing me the C&C multiplayer ropes last night... got my arse well and truly handed to me but it was my first games on live and I have only played about 6 missions in the campaign so I have forgiven myself... and getting my first introduction to the Scrin through your Aerial Battleships Rusty was not pretty. Made up for it with my sneaky mammoth tank attack in the second game while your forces were on the offensive elsewhere, hehe. The 3 way battles are hilarious... watchin enemy units walk into an ambush then turn and run the other way is hilarious

Can see nme puttinghours into this both online and single player so expect some tougher battles from me soon

Visually stunning and immense fun!!

Comment

i got this recently and it's really good fun

playing throught the campaign and am well up for some multiplayer despite being completely **** at it

send us a FR if anyone is up for a game

The RTS done on a console CAN work and it has lando calrissian in it too.

Comment

The cut scenes are really well done... total tongue in cheek acting and ammed up to the max but really draws you in... the nod leader is bonkers, hahaha.

I will ping you a FR tonight Destrukticor and try get some games sorted. Can see tis lasting a good whle and the wealth of game modes will keep it fresh for a good bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X