Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokemom Battle Revolution (Wii)

Had a quick burn on this yesterday.

Thus far, I'm a tad disappointed. Initially at least, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount to get your teeth into. You get the Colosseum mode, which is essentially the main single player affair, and DS battle mode.

I've dabbled a little bit in the Colosseum, and you seem to basically go from Colosseum to Colosseum, battling a few trainers before the main battle and moving on. You can copy across your Pokemon from your DS via WiFi (direct connection, no router required), though like the previous games, you cannot level your Pokemon etc.
    To use your own Pokemon, you create a 'Custom Pass' (as opposed to a Rental Pass). This is supposed to be like a virtual ID cart for the game, which also works over WiFi. Unfortunately, it's extremely limited in customisability, only 2 design themes (at least from the start), and a handful of 'personalities' to describe yourself - basically your either a 'cool guy', a kid or a girl. Take your pick...
    I've yet to try the DS Battle Mode, no the WiFi mode, though it's the usual affair (random battle or friend code).

What is so striking to me is that, once again, there seems to be less to actually do than in the old Stadium games, coming across as very much barebones with really just the main play modes. Of course, if this changes as you progress, I take that back.

The gameplay also hasn't moved on from the old 3D Pokemon games - it still feels slower than the main handheld games, it's still basically a crippled bastardised version of the battle system.

I really hope this game comes into it's own as it goes on, otherwise I think people will be very disappointed at yet another 3D Pokemon outing which is inferior to the N64 games.

Also, this game uses flicker filter, the first Nintendo first party title I know of to use it.

Anyone have differing opinions, or wants to show me the light?
    Last edited by sj33; 01-07-2007, 11:21.
Working...
X