DK: Jungle Climber (Japanese DS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DK: Jungle Climber (Japanese DS)

I was not expecting this to arrive so soon.

I have to say i am very impressed, i did not play the original GBA so can't holey compare it to that game, so i will give some impressions based on this being a totally new game.

The game starts off with an intro level, this intro level is a series of mini games that get you use to some of the moves and controls you may need in the game. While the explinations are obviously written in Japanese, the game does provide a video tutorial on the top screen, resulting in the game being very playable with no Japanese knowledge.

The game its self is a basic platform collectathon, but it does make some unique advances in the genre. Rather than just walking along, to get places you need to swing, to do this you have to jump up and grab onto a hand hold. this is done by pressing A to jump and L or R to grab. Once you have hold of a grip, you can then move between interlinked grips, or jump for an out of reach one. the idea is just to get to the end of each level, but they all do contain 5 gold coins, the standard K O N G letters and a special barrel as well as a huge DK coin that is usually very hard to get to.

So far the game is keeping me hooked, once you complete the mini games at the begining they become unlockables, with 3 difficulty settings and an endless mode, once you beat the pre set high score.

So far i am yet to come across any animals, but the tag team action gameplay that was in the other DK platformers is present. You can use Diddy to reach high switches or items by throwing her in the air after a boost jump to gain more height.

The levels are quite large about 3-5 mins long and each world ends with a boss battle. These are just find the weak point and hit it until the boss loses all energy but its made slightly more entertaining with the swing aspect of gameplay.

The game also features a 4 player mode, but i am yet to try this.

Any fans of the GBA game or DK platformers in general will like this, however to a lot it will feel quite samey and while unique in some aspects it does not take advantage of the DS strengths in any way.
    Last edited by The Mole; 12-08-2007, 10:19.

Excellent, I was waiting for a FP thread for this. I can order it knowing that no Japanese knowledge is needed to play it. Thanx much.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 10-08-2007, 17:41.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Brilliant impressions Mole, big thanks for sharing them with us. I also missed the GBA version but after reading your thoughts and checking some videos over at ign this looks right up my street. It's out in the US next month (It's down for Sept 10th) but looks like an easy enough one to handle in JPN so I think i'll go for that. Bonus

Comment

For those interested, Play-Asia are selling the JPN version of the GBA original at a massively reduced price (from roughly £20 to £5) for the next two days only.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-08-2007, 09:11.

Comment

This. Game. Is. Really. Rather. Brilliant.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam's mightily confusing gameplay was knackering the quality of my games collection and so I traded it for pretty much anything that was affordable and slightly promising (anyone else share this rather sad quality?). After really not enjoying the GBA version that much I was expecting not to like this update that much either.

Anyways, excluding maybe Jungle Beat it's the best DK game I've ever played, and probably my favourite DS game of 2007.

There's been a few simple tweaks to movement, but they add SO much. You now feel like a graceful monkeyman rather than a rotating sprite. There's really a lot of potential for fancy swinging maneuvers, and many nice ideas that take advantage of the controls. Such as giant sunflowers sproinging you skywards when you use your swinging momentum.

There's mini games which add variety, and also don't feel as half-arsed as the majority of DS mini game fests. I really enjoy collecting showers of 'nanas. The 2 screens are often used really nicely...but I won't spoil anything there.

It looks great, too. I was expecting to dislike the change in art direction as I quite liked the GBA versions hand drawn sprites. But it's definetly a looker. The dialogue bits are quite bearable too, nicely animated and with a Paper Mario-esque sense of humour.

So, yeah.... just thought I'd post some impressions as it really is rather great but doesn't seem to be getting much love.

Comment

Working...
          X