The Settlers - Rise of an Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Settlers - Rise of an Empire

Just played through the demo on fileplanet and so far its a thumbs up from me.

The demo goes through a tutorial and first thing is its good to see the fundamentals are true to the earlier Settlers games. There are quite alot of changes though, your land still needs to be expanded by outposts/barracks but its done alot more like Company of Hero's, the map is broken down into segments and is claimed by building an outpost, the pathing is also no longer done by placing flags, in a way some aspects do look like they have been simplified, the construction for example, in the old games the settlers would carry all the production materials and build as and when materials got to the construction site, now just one settler instantly carries all the materials and the buildings go up very quick.

One concern is that getting the city up and running will be too simple and the focus is going to be on the combat/rts element, which was never the draw for me with the earlier games and the reason alot of people disliked The Heritage of Kings.

Graphically its running good at 1680 by 1050 res at default settings and thats on an old X800XT graphics card, so performance should be good for anyone with a decentish pc.

Talking about graphics they have moved things on quite alot, it looks very nice, it has some nice weather effects, snow at night that gradually melts away in the morning, talking of which weather does seem to have a significant impact now, bringing up a forcast showed that during snowy weather fishing production stops due to frozen lakes and im sure there are other factors too.

The demo has definetely got me looking forward to some long weekend sessions on sandbox mode, not sure yet whether its an Anno 1701 beater but its looking like a good purchase for any fan of the genre.

I was hyped for the DS version, didn't even realise that there was a new PC ver. Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

I have played one of The Settlers games in years. Not since the Amiga days I think but I might have a look at the demo.

Comment

Working...
      X