Rune Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rune Factory

For those that do not know this is the unofficial sequel to the Harvest Moon games, it advances the format well, which i am about to explain.

The heart of the game still has all that we know and love from harvest Moon, but even this system has had improvements made. This time the farming can have different level produce. All seeds that are purchased from the shop, start life as level 1 seeds, but you can do things to the seeds before they grow to upgrade the level of the produce. A level 2 tomato is worth twice the price of a level 1 tomato etc... Levels go up to level 10 so i am told.

Produce can be sold to retailers rather, than having to wait for the shipping box every day, but this option still exists.

The farming is used to purchase potions and weapons that help you out with the RPG side of the game in the caves.

In the caves you have monsters in each chamber and a machine that generates those monsters, you have to go through each chamber and destroy the machines, that generate the monsters, and once done this gives you access to the final chamber, in that cave which is a boss battle.

Like any standard RPG you have a HP gage, and in Rune Factory you also have an RP (rune points) gage. The RP gage is used to cast magic, in caves. It is also used as protection for your HP gage when farming. So rather than your HP gage going down when farming and your character collapses from exaustion, your RP gage goes down before our HP.

Like Harvest Moon games, characters have a friendship level and a love level, the more you interact with characters the further up these levels go.

You can expand your house and build extra rooms such as kitchens, and add items to these rooms such as fridge, yoghurt makers etc.

The game has events on set days in the calender, these include bake off's and treasure hunts (and i am sure more). If you win one of these events you get to choose a prize (£1000, 100 bits of wood, or a bottle - which is used to carry potions).

I am loving this game

If you want to go and explore caves you can do that without almost any farming.

If you want to farm and earn some dough you can or if you choose to fish then you can do that.

If you are after a game where you interact and talk with with characters and gain a wife, while expanding your house and living areas then you can do that.

At the moment i am doing a bit of each.

I can see this game being a lengthy experience.

It is one of few DS games i would say is a MUST OWN.

EDIT

Forgot to mention, you can capture and raise monsters from the caves, you can send them to work on your farm or you can take them along with you as back-ups for the cave battles.
    Last edited by The Mole; 28-08-2007, 15:49.

Ah ha. this out now is it.

Was hoping someone would get in first and post some impressions up. So thanks Mole because you have done a great job in presenting your thoughts and desciptions of the game. Ordered!

God bless the DS
    ^_^

Comment

Don't tell anybody but i have been sneeking off to play it on the loo at work I can't say i have done that since i got my DS so this must be something special.

I was on the verge of beating the second cave today, when the phone went at work, next thing im dead Yes you can die (only in the caves). You just start back at your last save. Unlike the first cave the second (which is twice the size) does not have a save point half way through (unless i missed it).

Comment

Yet another game I want! When will it end?!

Nice impressions though; will definately pick it up after Persona, then Blue Dragon...

Comment

I picked this up a couple of days ago, and it's really very good. Getting external teams to do some HM games has really paid off, I think. Innocent Life and Rune Factory both turned out really well, and hopefully some of that will feed back in to the main series. If nothing else, it makes a change from yet another reworking of Harvest Moon: Back to Nature.

I'm still only in the first season, but there's lots to do and you get nice long days so you're not as rushed as in some other HM games. I like how the farming and dungeon bits are tied together, with little plots of land inside the caves so you grow crops and get HP/RP back as you're going through the dungeons. Plus, as you earn money through farming, you can buy better weapons to fight with in the caves. I'm not able to capture monsters yet, but that looks interesting too.

I'm finding the combat a bit tough, but it's getting easier as I level up. Just clearing as much of the first cave as I can each day, but mostly concentrating on farming and fishing at the moment.

Comment

As further evidence of this games greatness I picked it up on release day in Japan (same day as FFIII coincidentally, August 24th 2006) and am STILL playing it.

I'm on the cusp of the second winter, so I'll be able to get into

the dungeon surrounded by water

. I had to play through an entire year because I didn't do enough farming there the first year.

Contrary to what The Mole says, you DO have to do some farming in the caves in order to get permission to go into others. It's not really that hard to do that, but you do also have end of dungeon bosses to beat.

I used the time playing to level up my abilities, so I can now forge almost all weapons, make most potions, cook most foods, etc. The game does suffer from being a little bit easy if you have a lot money

which can be quite easy to obtain by selling gemstones. For example, Level 1 sapphires sell for 700G each, but if you get a level 59 one it's 59x700G=loadsamoney

. It doesn't spoil the game as there is plenty to do without having to worry about making enough cash to buy stuff.

I currently have >5 million G but still haven't overcome other aspects of the game, marriage, taming monsters, etc.

I picked up the Wii Harvest Moon (bokujou monogatari: yasuragi no ki) when it came out but doesn't feel as well put together as this does. There are some minor graphical glitches when you teleport, and some other bits like that but it is still really fun to play.

Rune Factory 2 came out this week here in Japan and I'm holding off buying it until payday FINALLY comes, I have high hopes for it as it promises to have even more than this.

Lastly, my apologies for dredging up ANOTHER old "First Play" thread to add my 2 yen.

Comment

Working...
            X