Crazy Taxi Fare Wars - PSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Taxi Fare Wars - PSP

I couldn't find a first play for this - so apologies if there already is one...
    I only had a quick go of this so I'll keep it brief.

I like the feel of the game. Probably because I loved the orginal Arcade & Dreamcast versions.

The game feels really well suited to the PSP and handheld gaming as it is definitely the sort of game you can play in quick bursts.

I am not too hot at the game sadly but I am sure that will come with practice! The best I have managed so far on Arcade mode is a C classs drive with Axel

There are some mini-games available that I had a quick go off but without much success!

Multiplayer comes in the form of a single PSP 2 player challenge mode or a wi-fi adhoc mode. I've not tested either.

Graphically it is very in keeping with the DC version but with less pop-up. However, there is still some pop-up issues which are a tad annoying. The game does have a solid frame rate however and the PSP version does look great overall.

Loading times a not really an issue as they don't effect the flow of the game as such.

The control via the analog nub does is very responsive and I like the way that the shoulder buttons are used for accelerate and brake.

Apparently the courses available are those from both Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.

No Offspring in the soundtrack sadly but the music is inoffensive indy stuff which can be replaced by your own MP3's.

Crazy Taxi on the PSP biggest problem and yet also it's biggest charm is that the game definitely now has a retro feel about it. That said, If you liked Crazy Taxi before you will absolutely love this. If you are after a quick arcade game for your PSP you will also enjoy the game.

I can't imagine playing Crazy Taxi without the Dreamcast controller.

The PSP nub is usually useless and the face buttons are probably not responsive enough to to the Crazy-Drift and the Crazy-pullaway thingy comfortably.

Does it have the jump mechanic from Crazy Taxi 2 for both sets of courses or just for the ones from the second game?

Comment

I cant imagine playing crazy taxi without offspring

Comment

The jump mechanic is only in CT2. All of your concerns about the PSP version are spot-on. Control isn't smooth, the buttons are pain, especially relying on the right dodgy shoulder button for acceleration. Also the frame rate is really choppy in CT2.

After the first 30 seconds of nostalgia wore off, I was left wondering why I bought this. I guess it may make for one of those games I pick up and play for a couple of minutes every few months.

Comment

Bought it, Sold It.

I'm not saying it will be the case for everyone, but the PSP controls just do not work for this. It ends up being really frustrating.

The games seem like a faithfull rendition of the DC originals although the 2nd one does seem a tad choppy for some reason.

Before purchase I suggest you either a) have zero problems with the PSP controls and have no clue why people keep having a go at them or b) try before you buy.

I have a feeling anyone who played the DC originals will struggle with this.

Comment

I agree with the control issues. However if you can get round that and a few frame rate glitches here and there then it is a solid port/s.

I would have liked to have seen a new Crazy Taxi game, Sega are just getting lazy now. Crazy Taxi 1 has been on every console last generation from the GBA to the PS2 if you played it to death on any other format (like myself) you maynot want to revisit.

Sega could have put the time and money into a new Crazy Taxi game or getting something like Emergency a release.

Comment

Working...
            X