[DS] Worms Open Warfare 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DS] Worms Open Warfare 2

I bought this game today, and after hours play, I'm glad to say that works surprisingly well. You shoot your weapon with B, jump with A, X reveals the equipment list, and by holding L or R you can scroll map with D-pad or stylus. By pressing start you can open map to the upper screen. Maybe I'm missing something, but I was surprised to notice that you can't scroll map with stylus on normal mode.This isn't real problem in my book, because controls have been given some serious thought, and mapped well to DS's layout.

AI is relatively good, but it does think in some rare cases for long time (around 10-15 seconds) before doing its move. It has been so long since I played Worms for last time, but I think that the AI is better than it was on Worms 2, and doesn't do blatantly stupid moves.

In addition of having quick play, game features local and online multiplayer, tutorials, puzzle mode, some minigames that I haven't tried yet, and campaign mode where you complete missions to gain credits. I don't really understand the idea behind having seperate puzzle and campaign mode, because both work practically in same way (i.e. you get progressively harder challenges).

What really surprised me was how much game gives you freedom to customize various things. You can create yourself new teams, draw banners, select your team's sound bank*, draw new battle maps using stylus, select what weapons will be used on match, save your settings into presets, and so on. Additional soundbanks, graphics and levels can be bought from the store with credits you have gained from the campaign mode. I haven't tried online yet, because DS doesn't want to work with my router.

My only gripes about the game so far are that some game's graphics are little fuzzy, and that it is sometimes little hard to read text. Furthermore, I don't really like idea of forcing the player to play campaign mode just to unlock stuff.

* There is around 15 sound banks, which mostly feature different languages. There is also few old fan favorites, like scottish accent.
    Last edited by elkatas; 07-09-2007, 14:33. Reason: minor corrections

i was playing this last night, thought my eyes were going funny with the general fuzzy look to the writing in the tutorials.

never really got into worms games before but will give this a few more goes as looks quite fun and the tutorial helps in getting me up to speed.

Comment

can you play multiplayer with just 1 ds?

Comment

I think the eurogamer review said you could by sending the other player a demo, but it restricts them to using a default team, so they can't name their worms or customize them.

Comment

can just one ds system be used for multi player, by the players swaping the ds between them, would like to play with my fiancee, and we only have one ds

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
            can just one ds system be used for multi player, by the players swaping the ds between them, would like to play with my fiancee, and we only have one ds
            Unfortunately not, which is quite surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
              Unfortunately not, which is quite surprising.

That's a HUGE missed opportunity imo. Very suprised they left that out.
              Luckily we have two DS's in our household so i'll still be picking up a couple of these. Gonna go for the US versions tho, simply because my whole DS collection is US/JPN only...I see im not the only one who does this around here! hehe

Thanks for the impressions elkatas btw. Just confirms what all the other mags and websites are saying...this game is a must!

Comment

this game is pure class

Comment

Oops, my bad, thought you said one copy of the game :/

Comment

no problem

Comment

Not sure what everyone is talking about but you definitely CAN do that. It's not in the multiplayer options though; you have to start a custom game and just add two human teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
                        Not sure what everyone is talking about but you definitely CAN do that. It's not in the multiplayer options though; you have to start a custom game and just add two human teams.
                        What? REALLY? That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
                          What? REALLY? That's awesome!
                          Yep. Works for up to four players as far as I'm aware.

Comment

thats excellent

Comment

Working...
                            X