Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)

Suppose I should preface this with saying I have practically no understanding of Japanese (I extend little beyond knowing what Yes and No is) so I can?t go into depth as to the details of the plot and it?s highly likely that I am not aware of certain gameplay mechanics due to the language barrier.

Despite this, what I?ve played so far has been fantastic. Even despite the language difficulties the hours I?ve played so far have been very enjoyable.

It?s not a traditional Square Final Fantasy style RPG. There are no party members (at least yet), so far all combat has been solely down to Zack.

However, the game feels like it unashamedly belongs in the Final Fantasy VII universe. The game?s opening is a heavy nod to that off Final Fantasy VII (even down to the remixed music) and serves as a good introduction to the game and it?s battle system.

Battles occur on a semi-random basis it seems. In most cases you cannot see your enemies but at certain points you will receive the message ?Activating Combat Mode? and the monsters will appear. There are no transition scenes, fighting takes place in the exact area you were exploring. During combat you retain full control of Zack and can move around the arena at will. Targeting is handled automatically based on which enemy you are currently closest to. Pressing Triangle allows you to Guard whereas Square is a Dodge/Roll function.

At the bottom right are your combat icons. The first is a Sword which is your basic attack function (you can attack up to 4 times to chain hits) and the last is Items (potions, antidotes etc). Inbetween you have slots for up to 4 materia which you have equipped (I think further slots become available later in the game judging from the menus). You use the L & R buttons to cycle between these options and Circle uses. Overall the combat works really well.

During combat are 3 slot machine reels spinning continuously with faces of characters in the game. At seemingly random intervals you will get a ?Modulating Phase? and the reels will stop. This can sometimes result in level up (for Zack or Materia) or Limit Break style attacks. This is one of the major areas I?m not fully sure of due to the language (of course there is also the chance that it is just totally random anyway).

Materia is obviously in the game. As previously mentioned, you can have 4 equipped at the start of the game. The most obvious uses are spells with offensive magic (Fire, Ice, Thunder) and Support (Cure). However, there is also yellow materia which provides new sword attacks (have a heavy overhead swing that stuns and a multi-hitting AOE spin attack) and blue material that provides stat boosts. It also appears that you can create new material by combining different sets but again the language barrier hinders me here.

As previously mentioned, the structure of the game is different to a standard RPG and operates on a mission system similar to that of Final Fantasy X-2. You have a series of obligatory story missions that you have to work through. I?ve completed 3 of these so far and they are quite long with plenty to get stuck into. Slightly linear so far although the last one had a few treasure chests to hunt out for extra goodies. This story line has everything you?d expect including cutscenes (some spoken, some text) and boss fights (I?ve fought a number of mechs so far as well as a couple of incredible fights against

Ifrit and Bahamut

).

However there are also a large number of extra missions accessible via save points. Not fully certain, but it seems like there are about 300 of these so there?s a lot to do here. Missions are rated for difficulty before you select them. Overall these have been shorter than the story missions although I?ve only done an Easy and Normal ranked one so far (the easy was simply a fight against 3 monsters whereas the normal was slightly longer). The mission structure probably suits the handheld format as it allows you to focus on the shorter missions when you only have a short time to play. Save points in the main story missions are also generously spaced to allow you to play for short amounts of time if necessary.

Overall I am really impressed with what Square-Enix have achieved here. Although the structure is noticeably different, the game doesn?t feel dumbed down. Soundtrack is excellent and the entire game feels like it truly belongs in the Final Fantasy VII canon. Zack also comes across as a likeable main character based on his mannerisms and actions.

Whether I?ll finish the game in Japanese I?m not sure, but the official western release cannot come soon enough.

good first play on that. been waiting forever to re visit the world of ff7 and hopefully square will hurry up with an english traslation some time before the next ice age.

keep the impresions up.

Comment

Leveling up is done via Digital Mind Wave system, which consists of two things:

-character faces
      -numbers

When Left and Right character faces are the same you will enter Modulation Phase, where all the Limit Breaks, Summons, and Leveling up happen. 777 in modulation phase means Level Up, two similar numbers mean materia in that slot will be upgraded by one level. There are also other combinations: unlimited MP, HP, or just god-mode.

The game so far is superb, althogh I would suggest getting a mini-FAQ on some story elements if you want to have 100% completion, because some missions get unlocked only by talking to certain characters.

Production values are through-the-roof, FMVs are similar or better in quality to that of AC. With no knowledge of Japanese I can get more or less understanding in the story so it isn't as hard. Don't wait for US version, import it now.

About Materia Fusion:

2 Materia + Item + Gil will get you a new materia. Did HP +999% last night lol

Comment

Have been playing this on and off for a week now (on my CC:FFVII PSPSlim) and it's brilliant. The streamlined combat system works beautifully and still retains the classic FF feel. As a return to the locations and music of FFVII, it's an absolute joy. After a bit of mental readjustment, I'm comfortable with the DMW system now. It adds a nice dash of spontaneity to every encounter.

The FMVs are top notch of course, but it's the in-engine cutscenes that have really blown me away. The subtlety of the facial expressions and body language are masterfully executed. Crisis Core is the real deal.

Loadtimes on the Slim are unobtrusive and the game looks great via TV out.

Comment

played about 30mins of this between PH3 and messing around with Halo 3 legendary edition. Its good, really nice presentation and quite fun combat system. I know only hirigana and while I can pick out a few words here and there, I dont understand the story at all, but the voice acting for me keeps the game going. Its good to see a game that works very very well on the PSP slim

Comment

Loving this game, I'm about six or so hours into it this and is a total wankfest for Final Fantasy fans, obviously. Story is great too, and is nice to know Square have actually put some thought into this and not just thought, bang in aload of ff7 characters and see what happens, ala DoC.

.....I'm still not sure how i'm starting the slots during the battles sequences though and although is very fun and suited towards the handheld feels far too random sometimes.

All in all though couldn't have asked for anymore.

Comment

Spent a bit more time with this and it continues to impress.

Firstly, the music is just excellent. Not only the remixed stuff from FF7 (which isn?t as common as I expected but when you hear a familiar tune kick in, you can?t help but get psyched up) but also the new themes. The title screen theme is a standout.

However, the best part was a section of the story where the Shin-Ra headquarters seemed to be attacked. Entire music for that section was a remix of the classic FF7 battle theme which made my hairs stand on end when it kicked in. Truly awesome.

Starting to grasp the Digital Mind Wave battle system now. Each of the 3 reels is linked to one of your point bars (HP, MP & AP). The slot reels comprise of the faces of characters in the game and Limit Breaks occur when you match up 3 of the same characters (causing a Power Surge). However what technique you get depends on which character you match 3 of. (i.e. hand to hand limit break for Angeal, helicopter airstrike for Tseng etc).

The free control nature of the combat works exceptionally. At first I thought the Dodge function was overpowered but I?ve since realised that some types of attacks are best dodged whilst others are best dealt with by guarding.

Machine gun attacks are hard to dodge as they hit multiple times so they track you. Same with magic. Fire spells home in on you whereas Blizzard forms above your head and drops making it much easier to dodge.

Still, you get a great sense of satisfaction by employing good use of your different techniques to battle multiple enemies whilst taking as little damage as possible. A last minute dodge, followed by returning with your own string of attacks can be special.

Originally posted by katamari View Post
              The FMVs are top notch of course, but it's the in-engine cutscenes that have really blown me away. The subtlety of the facial expressions and body language are masterfully executed. Crisis Core is the real deal.
              Agree with this 100%. I?ve just had a flashback cutscene which showed

Sephiroth battling Genesis

and it was exceptional quality (and THAT music). Your comment about facial expressions and body language rings especially true. Although I don?t understand the language, the cutscenes are succeeding in letting me at least partly understand what?s going on because of how effective Zack?s mannerisms are at expressing emotion. The scene in the village with Angeal was heavy.

Comment

Just got this today as my FFVII PSP arrived Only managed to get 30mins on it but wow as you have all said this is awsome. The presentation is awsome, really really well done. A nice big pat on the back for SE with that one. Also the combat has somthing for everyone I feel that also none RPG fans might even like this.

For FFVII fans this is somthing else, right at the beginning as the train pulls into the train station i wet my pants. (well not really but almost)

I can see im going to love this, and if they do a FFVII remake i would totally agree with them doing it in this style.

Mind Blowing.

Thoughts id post a quick few impressions of the PSP too. Very nice indeed, comes boxed in a shoe box type box with the Game and Keyring. Shame they didnt include a slip case but meh. My worries of the pictures on the back just being stickers were over the moment i held it in my hand glad to see they put some effort into it. Well worth the money. Its that nice that 2 of my work mates have just ordered one after seeing mine! lol

Can anyone point me in the way of Menu Translations and Story Translation?
                Last edited by djtickle; 04-10-2007, 13:02.

Comment

Originally posted by angelox View Post
                  played about 30mins of this between PH3 and messing around with Halo 3 legendary edition.
                  Sorry, I?m not contributing to the topic in the slightest, but PH3, what the bloody hell is that? It?s really bugging me.

Comment

Does the soundtrack feature a midi sound set playack or are real instruments being used?

Comment

Hey bro, this video contains a small spoiler, but gives you an indication to how the music sounds.

Comment

Cool. This looks good. That clip sounded like it was midi at the start (hard to tell on this PC), but then electric guitars came in

Comment

Eh, Virginmegastores just started processing my pre order (which I cancelled about 2 months ago) and have charged my card.

****, wrong thread - swear I limited searches to headlines only. Sorry
                          Last edited by Malavon; 23-10-2007, 18:03.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has clocked this yet and what the general length of it is, I am thinking about picking up a psp just for this game and to play all the other psone ff again, would you say its worth picking one up when Crisis Core is released over here?

Comment

No where close, im using it as practise for my Japanese (so no guides) so I useally only have the energy to pick it up 1 time a week. Saying that however its a really really good game. Combat is a lot of fun and its stunning to look at/listen too. Only complaint wouldnt be from the gameitself but the analogue stick on the PSP - just hurts the hell out of my hand during extended play.

Comment

Working...
                              X