Fifa 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fifa 08

Forget Halo 3, this is THE big release this week Played the demo and thought it was ok, not a huge step up from FIFA 07 but the full version has something that the demo didn't. The feature I talk about is the Be a Pro mode, it is a very good and much needed addition to a football game let alone just FIFA. I have only played one training match so far but I was very impressed with the experience. You basically choose one player to control throughout the match and the camera (more or less) focuses on him. It is not a case of you running around like a headless chicken though as there are some very useful indicators. There is a positioning indicator which helps you stay in an ideal position depending what position you play, if you stray too far from this position you will gets marked down on your performance bar which is also on screen throughout the match. When one of your team mates has the ball you can press the pass button to ask for the ball, they won't pass to you unless you are in a good position though. You can also press the through pass button when your team mate has the ball and they will play the ball into a space for your run. You can't always score the goals, so if you feel your team-mate is in a good position to shoot you can press the shoot button and ask them to have a crack at goal. They will shoot automatically aswell but it is handy option to have if you think they can score from their position. Finally if you think your defense is backing off too much when the opposition has the ball you can press shoot to tell them to apply pressure, another good addition. I played a game as Rooney in a game vs Liverpool, thoroughly enjoyed it. I didnt score (but had a few shots saved) but felt just as satisfied when my run to the back post drew a few defenders away and allowed Tevez to score To sum up I think the Be a Pro mode will be the big draw to FIFA 08 especially when the 5 vs 5 online gets going, as normal gameplay wise PES 2008 will have the edge.
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 26-09-2007, 00:04.

one big question is do you actually win prize money for winning comp's as the last installment of fifa was a real let down in that department.. .

Comment

The last PS2 Winning Eleven game included a similar one player mode. Made you start at a J League Division 2 club and work your way up. I don't think it's included in this year's PES, but hopefully will make a return from next year onwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
        Forget Halo 3, this is THE big release this week Played the demo and thought it was ok, not a huge step up from FIFA 07 but the full version has something that the demo didn't. The feature I talk about is the Be a Pro mode, it is a very good and much needed addition to a football game let alone just FIFA.
        You ought to have given New Star Soccer on the PC a go a while back It plays like Sensi, but you only control one player and level up/train like in an RPG almost

Maybe I'll give this 08 demo a go, sounds promising.

Comment

I'm unsure of which version to go for, I don't have X-Box Live but have an Online Wii, do I go for a better look to the game or free online games? Does anyone know where I can compare modes for both games so I can weigh up the For and Against.

Also I would like to hear how the Wii controls intergrate into the game.

Comment

you played any more of this yet,,or are you sinking all your time in to halo 3

Comment

Ezee was hitting FIFA hard last-night according to my FL.

Quick question ezee; have you sussed the shooting out at all?

Comment

I've enjoyed using that one-player mode in PES before as it took me back to the days of Player Manager on the Amiga. Its quite interesting to play in different positions, especially if you stick to your position and try to play it properly.

Comment

Be A Pro could be a right laugh online, hopefully. Played against my cousin last-night on the demo and provided for some decent 2-player exploits.

Comment

Didnt Libero Grande pioneer the one player mode on PS? Shame it was crap.

What are the achievements?

Eta And indeed Nintendo World Cup.

Comment

Anyone know if Championship clubs are in the Wii version?

I may pick this up on the highstreet tomorrow if there are any good deals on.
                      Anyone know of any?

Comment

Stuff I've noticed on the 360 version so far (didn't play '07)

Commentary is crap. "That's their best performance of the season!" OK, technically true Andy, but not really worth mentioning in the first game of the season.

Crowds also crap. If they're gonna have a tannoy announcement at the start reading the line-ups, then the crowd (the home one at least) needs to cheer the names being read out. Also when the name of the goal scorer is read over the tannoy, should be another cheer.

Best loading screen ever.

You wanted gameplay?

Comment

Thanks for the impressions everyone.

PES will always be the daddy when it comes to football games, gameplay wise anyway imo.

That dosent mean I don't give any other football games a chance because I do. Really tempted to pick this up tomo but was just wondering if there is any real difference from the demo ie: easier to shoot and score? a bit quicker perhaps? plus is the Be a Pro Mode as much fun as it sounds?

Basically is there room for both Fifa and PES this year? hehe

Comment

I reckon I'm going to get this tomorow, play it for a month and then trade it at Blockbuster +10 for Pro Evo.

Comment

My impressions from the 360 version, i know the ps3 version has the same features btw.

Ignore what been said about the commentary its fantastic. Just played against newcastle with liverpool and andy gray talked about the famous 4-3 game and how theyve been under achieving rescently, and earlier i played Leeds and they talked about how it all went wrong for leeds as a club. Really added to the atmosphere.

Also like the way they refer to player indivually for example when i scored with torres he said "torres scores" instead of "he scores" little things but they all add up. Also with regards to commentary i was impressed with the way theyve not left out alot of the smaller clubs and seemed to say most of the stoke city names when i played a game against them.

Not sure on the crowd cheering as i usually skip the starting sequence but i when i scored against newcastle at st james park i was greeted to a loud boo when torres name was called out on the tannoy.

Theres 30 different leagues in total, although rangers and celtic fans wont be happy because for some reason there sponsers are missing from their shirts must be something to do with carling because other alcholol sponsers are present (chang, carlsberg etc)

The new trick stick moves are ace, quiete a nice range of them all easy to use (LT+ Right stick movements mostly). My favourite being the fake shot, something quiete satisfing about making faking a shot and the keeper diving early just for you to slot it straight past him.

Difficulty has increased somewhat, on UCL i could win easily on professional and hold my own on world class, however on this im getting my arse handed to me on a plate on professional.

Other improvements from 2007/ucl is the ability to actually challenge for headers instead of just standing there watching the opposition win the header. You can also perform low powerful shots now.

Shooting now has 3 settings 1 where its basically an auto aim, 1 where u just have to aim in the general direction of the goal and one where u have to aim exactly where u want it to go. Its made scoring alot harder and alot more satisfying.

On the subject of scoring you can now save replays and upload them to the ea website to access them on your pc.

Theres a nice little online league feature where you play out your favourite teams real life fixtures against fans of the other team.

All in all easily the best fifa yet and ive barely scratched the surface.

Edit: Something i missed out, the Jostiling feature that appeared on fifa titles a few years back that never really worked actually works and works damn well now.
                              Last edited by Astra; 27-09-2007, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X