Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

The latest US release from NIS. (Released in Japan as Soul Cradle).

I must admit to expecting something very similar to Disgaea. There are some similarities I suppose. The combat however is formation driven. You move your group around the battle map engaging the enemy. You select a special move when one becomes available. The characters automatically attack or heal depending on type. Attacks being melee or ranged. The actual attack is shown in a "cut scene".

As you gain GP (as they are called which are awarded for combat), you can use these to buy new units and rooms (which are used to store your formations). You can permanently save a number of these, the rest then being changeable.

From my 2 hours or so play so far I am not as hooked, as I was on the original Disgaea, though I have not given up yet!!

Outside of the combat you move around the World Map which allows you various options, including your formations. Before going into battle (showed by crossed swords on the map) you can reconoittre so that you can decide the best formation to use.

Anyone else pre-order this from VG+?

I've been playing this since Friday. Its very addicting once you get going and get used to the customising of your squads and the play mechanics. Personally, I've been hoping Nippon Ichi would make a game like this for a long time. Well since Ogre Battle 64 anyway. Which was the last really decent one to be made for a home console.

The only snag I can see with it that may put people off is the text during city and town navigation, but this is also similar to other games of this type(Brigandine), so it doesn't bother me. In fact its done in the typical humourous way I'd expect of Nippon ichi.

I'm enjoying the customisation myself, but I'd consider myself a fan of this type of SRPG, and of Nippon Ichi, so I knew I was onto a winner anyway. I'm just hoping it holds some appeal in other gaming circles, so then I don't have to wait nearly ten years for another squad based SRPG to be made.

Comment

I wish my copy was already here

Comment

I am still not convinced by this room system, though I did manage to upgrade the starting room.

The most frusatrating thing is the healer in my first room. He will insist on healing characters in a certain order regardless of their remaining health which has a tendency to cause casualties.

Comment

A healer on the back row will cure all characters- but perhaps you don't have a back row in that room ...

I'm not sure about this game either - it seems crude in terms of mechanics, characterisation and humour compared to Disgaea and the other Nippon Ichi strategy rpg's.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the awesome Nomad Soul??

Very dissapointing.

OMNIKRON DIDNT SEE US COMING

Comment

Working...
            X