Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights (Xbox 360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights (Xbox 360)

I got this today on the basis that I quite enjoyed the demo, despite the fact that they couldn't really have released this at a worse time. So soon after Halo 3 and so close to Project Gotham Racing 4. It shows, as the online community at the moment for this is painfully small.

It's a damn shame, because the game is actually pretty bloody good.

Despite the online population being so small, I haven't touched the offline mode so I can't comment on the solo career at all.

Where i've been playing from the start, is the Xbox Live Career, a career mode completely seperate to the offline mode. Buy yourself a starting car and enter the beginning series of races, then head out into the rookie channel where you get to pick an event. It tells you what events have people looking at them and playing them, and you can bring up a full player list that tells you when somebody's waiting for opponents, or whether somebody wants to play a particular race, so i've never found it difficult to play online against someone despite only a few people playing. A very good thing.

To advance to the next series, you need to complete a certain number of objectives. This can be anything from finishing a circuit race in 3rd place or above, to obtaining so many seconds of airtime in one race, to breaking a certain speed milestone. Once you've completed so many tasks, you have to race a promotion race to advance to the next series.

Any places that aren't taken up by human players, are taken up by AI. Also, a very good thing.

Before the race starts, you get to check out the other's rides, their performance ratings, and if they're selling their car, you can even buy it off them there and then on the starting line. Otherwise, you can approach another player and place a bet with them. If you beat them in the race, you win the bet, regardless of the race winnings.

Even spectating, you can bet on who will win! Just watch races and place bets on who you think will be first.

Each racer has a DNA rating. This is basically your EXP. You have a DNA rating in certain things, such as overtaking, nitrous use, drifting, etc. The game learns how you do certain things, and changes your DNA accordingly. If you're a really rough driver, smashing into players to overtake them, your overtaking DNA will turn red. If you're a very careful, smooth driver, your overtaking DNA will turn blue. The more you do a certain thing, the more advanced that DNA becomes. Essentially, a driver AI of yourself that builds as you play.

It also means you can tell, before you race, what kind of racer they are. Whether they use rough tactics to get past or whether they're clean. You can also download their DNA and race against an AI representation offline.

The handling is VERY arcade. As the eurogamer review points out, very much more like Ridge Racer than Need For Speed. Taking corners at full whack, drifting round hairpins to raise your nitrous gauge before letting it loose on a straight. Incredibly good fun.

Graphically, it's a bit hit and miss. Framerate is stable throughout, however some in-car views are very glitchy (Nissan Skyline especially, where the steering wheel goes through the hands and the dashboard just looks really, really weird with lighting), and there's visible scenery pop-up on some stages.

Overall though, i'm having a hell of a lot of fun online. And despite PGR4 coming out soon, if you're an arcade racing fan at all, i'm pretty sure you'll find this different enough to enjoy beside it.

Just found out today... You CAN race pink slip races online...

As I found out the difficult way as I just lost my beloved Evo VIII.

The online population has been picking up! You can voice chat with anybody in your league currently not in a game so providing they talk back to you, it's very easy to get a career race arranged.
    Last edited by Silvergun X; 07-10-2007, 21:03.

Comment

Yeah when I first tried the demo I had it down for a piece of garbage, and I couldn't get the hang of the strange cornering setup.

I don't know if the second verson of the SP demo I downloaded had altered something or if I suddenly decided not to suck but I actually quite enjoyed it. Can't say I've ever been a fan of that intimidate thing that goes on, (although the only other game I can think of that implements it is R : Racing) but the racing is refreshingly arcade and from the demo at least the career mode seems a lot less involved after the first Juiced.

And the Drift King should be a lesson to EA on how to do that sort of thing, as it's miles ahead of the similar but terrible mode in NFS Carbon.

I tried so hard to like Juiced 1 but just couldn't bring myself to, but this looks like I can justify the purchase and not regret it this time around. And with a Asian/English Region Free version on PA, I have to say that while it's not anywhere near the top of my priority purchases, it should join my collection at some point.

Edit : Second version of the SP demo = I redownloaded the SP demo. I also grabbed the MP demo as well, but that was after I decided I didn't actually suck hard at the game anymore.

Comment

Anyone get this on PC ? I just got it for £13 new and it gets to the game and crashes everytime, all other games work fine

Comment

I have it for PC and it works fine for me other than random framerate drops and thats with my 8800GT which can run Crysis decent.

Comment

So the full game isn't as **** as the demo?
            It actually didn't feel like you were supposed to be driving a car in that.

Comment

Working...
            X