Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War [360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War [360]

Given the full thing's not out for a few more weeks I wondered what anyone thought of this. I wasn't even aware it was going multiplatform, I thought it was one of the PS3's exclusives...

Didn't see another thread. Hope I didn't miss one after typing out all this crap.

While Koei are still pumping out the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games, they do seem to have been listening to some of the people clamoring for a next-gen update to the franchise - Bladestorm is a... slightly more serious Japanese-pop-culture take on the Hundred Years' War (long-running hostilities between England and France from the mid-fourteenth to -fifteenth centuries, go Wiki it). You play a prospective mercenary looking to win fame and phat lewtz by participating in the conflict (for either side). Take command of various different types of unit, run around the battlefield, assault key strategic points on the map, fight enemy generals, collect bonuses, level up your stats as you go.

So far, so Dynasty Warriors: Empires; only... Bladestorm's juuust a little stranger, at least going by the demo. It's a game where there's a fair bit going on but you don't seem to actively participate in quite the way you'd expect and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. You run up to a squad you've learnt how to command, press a button and they follow you everywhere. Hold another button to make them attack and... that's pretty much the basics; your character fights automatically in exactly the same way as your men do. Every type of squad gets a variety of special moves/maneuvers assigned to the face buttons - fire them off, wait for them to recharge, so on - but there's no more of the square square square triangle square square square triangle etc. that DW is so notorious for.

On the other hand, you quickly start to notice the depth there is to the combat all the same. It's basically a rock-paper-scissors setup you've seen God knows how many times before in countless RTS' but it's surprisingly well implemented. Command a unit of archers and get hit from the side by a cavaly charge and you'll be decimated. Catch a much larger force in the rear and fire off a special move or two and you can go through them like a wheat field. Wander around without a squad and you're dead - this is still very much an arcade experience, combo meters and everything, but Superman you're not.

Then there's the bigger picture - while the capture points are obviously just an evolution of DW/SW:Empires' "bases", the war is something of a persistent world here - battlefields are much, much larger (think several DW maps stuck together), the fights take place over several rounds ("days", with the time limit running out signalling nightfall) and the frontline can ebb and flow a fair amount independent of anything you're doing. And that's not even mentioning the character development - or raising your squad stats - during the course of the war as a whole.

Visually the demo looks... okay.It's no next-gen showcase, but it's a significant advance on any DW or SW game so far. Draw distance extends a way, character models are pleasing enough, animations are serviceable and when you've got Dead Rising numbers all pushing and shoving and hacking the crap out of each other the atmosphere of battlefield chaos is quite something, even with all the flashing lights and numbers racking up and so on. Aurally the score is predictably epic with a touch of the medieval, though it's very competently done - spot FX are nice and solid, too, though Koei's trademarked hysterically inappropriate English voices still seem to be all present and correct.

It's an odd experience. The demo lets you play through two battles from either side, both of which can be spun out a little by purposefully not taking your objective straight away (the second lets you start on completely the wrong side of the map if you feel so inclined). This doesn't really give you a whole lot of opportunity to sample the longer-term aspects of the gameplay, but it does hint at what they might be like if they work well. You can try a variety of different squads, level up some, do a little trading for new equipment, experiment with the odd bit of strategy... it's no Crackdown demo but it could last you a while if you liked it.

Me, I think I like it. For a game where as I mentioned, you often feel as though you're not really doing anything it still manages to be infinitely more entertaining than the utter tedium of N3. It looks good enough, hints at some possibly surprising complexity for a genre hybrid and manages to be pretty damned atmospheric. Whether the full game lives up to this I haven't a clue, but fingers crossed.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 08-12-2007, 03:49. Reason: Changed thread title

I tried it without realising what sort of game it was. I thought with a name like bladestorm, it would be a cool 2D shooter or something. So it should be known that this is one of my least favourite genres before reading that: I didn't like it. But that's because you don't really need any skill. You just aimed in the right direction and pressed RB. A bit later the battle was won. Didn't really seem like a game to me..... As eight rooks says, it feels like you aren't doing anything sometimes.

However, in the understanding that lots of people do like this stuff: graphically the battlefield was very clear, even with all the stuff going on and hit points appearing everywhere.

Curiously the bartender is they guy that links you to potential assignments, but he seemed like a nice chap. You can choose what you want to look like (male/female/hair etc), but don't suppose this makes a lot of difference on the battlefield melee.

I can imagine that later battles will be absolutely immense with zillions of warriors wandering around beating each other up which will no doubt be entertaining.

Sorry I couldn't add any more useful.
    Last edited by charlesr; 09-10-2007, 10:04.

Comment

I've been looking forward to this for ages - not because I like Koei's games but because I love my European history; the artwork released a few months ago seemed to hit the nail on the head. Although they've taken some liberties with the characters (The Black Prince and Joan of Arc could never have met on the battlefield) they've managed to include some quite noteable historical figures.

Not that it matters as you only get to play as a humble merc.

To echo Charles' comments, you never really feel involved, at least in the demo. It seems almost impossible to die, even if you go it alone. The lack of an attack button means this is a million miles away from the likes of 99 Nights, which at least allowed you to get a feeling of power by sending enemy units flying.

I have to admit I probably didn't experiement enough with the demo but to me this seems very limited. If they wanted to create the feeling of commanding an army surely they should have created an RTS? I imagine many people will look at the screens, see the combo counters and take this as another 99 nights/DW game, when it's actually quite far away from that.

A little more play might reveal hidden depths and at the moment I'm still keen to check out the final product, but I was a little disappointed.

Comment

Downloaded it but haven't even bothered to launch it - says more about the crazy (360) gaming situation at present more than anything else - Thrillville demo also sitting untouched.

Comment

I have to say again that regardless of how I feel about the final game - I can see how it could all go horribly, horribly wrong - I really did think it was so, so, so much more fun than the entire first two characters of 99 Nights, which I felt was horrendous. Feeling of power? Couldn't have felt more lifeless and uninvolving if it tried. Just because I swing my sword and a thousand enemies go flying, it doesn't automatically make me feel powerful. Bladestorm, even when I'm just holding down RB and moving the left stick, still makes me feel like I'm actually investing something whereas off the top of my head I can't think of many games I cared about less than N3.

Oh, and I managed to die several times - with squads, too - though admittedly mostly through trying (if you head straight for the objectives you can finish the demo in about fifteen minutes or so). But maybe I'm just rubbish like that.

Comment

My point was that 99 Nights at least let you have some kind of impact on the action. Here, you're rather at the mercy of the auto-attack system, it's not as satisfiying.

But I remain hopeful this will surprise me. The art style is ace.

Comment

My point was that that even though I was undeniably pressing buttons and seeing a reaction on the screen, cause and effect and so on, no argument there, N3 was so awful, dull and lifeless I might as well not have been doing anything. One of the worst examples of tech-demo-masquerading-as-a-game I've ever seen, totally unsatisfying, and I've played countless DW games so it's not as if I don't like square, square, triangle, square, square, triangle etc. Bladestorm's combat is very odd and potentially a failure, I agree, but if nothing else it certainly seemed well presented enough it actually invalidated that distinction for me on some levels.

Comment

Has anyone tried the retail release of this game for the PS3?
                It was released today and my local indy has it for £35. I played the demo and I agree with the comments above about the strange combat mechanism but I love military history and I love RTS like Kessen/Total War so I am going to give it a shot.
                I will get some comments on the PS3 version later

Comment

Picked up the PS3 version and had a play around with it. The instruction manual is pretty hefty and is worth reading as it makes the combat mechanism make more sense. Started the main campaign and really enjoying it. From reading the manual it looks like its got plenty of depth. Its pretty unique in the way it plays coming from background of PC strategy games like Total War. This makes a nice counterpart to Medeival Total War. Graphics on the PS3 version appear a bit sharper to me having played the 360 demo. The controls feel better too. Not sure I would have paid full retail at 50 notes but for £35 its a nice game if you are into the era or the genre.

Comment

I'm looking to pick this up soon as the reviews have been pretty positive. Edge gave it 8, so did Eurogamer (although this is hardly surprising as I suspect both reviews are by the same person) and GameTrailers gave it 8.2, or something.

Played the demo again in preperation and it still leaves me feeling a bit cold, perhaps when your character begins to advance through the ranks it gets better?

Comment

Doesn't change much as you advance in rank. Either you like the system or not. You open up new units to control, but the fundamentals stay the same. If you didn't like the demo, you won't like the full game. I think it's great btw, one to play in smaller doses though.

Comment

Finally picked up the full game, and... I like it. I think. Most of my earlier impressions still stand - it's one of the stranger games I've ever played given it's basically a cross between Kessen without the button-mashing and the capture-the-base elements of later Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games. As in, you seem to be effecting a great deal in the game world - combat, strategic maneuvering, the flow of the battle at large and so on - while not actually doing very much with the controller. But at the same time, the depth is self-evident after a couple of hours' play or less - you're no longer a lone wolf, the battle can really progress independent of your efforts and help or hinder you as a result, the scope for character customisation is pretty good... and the combat, again, feels so much better than a good deal of mediocre hack'n'slash games out there (hello, N3) even if... you're not really doing much.

The graphics still aren't up to much, and the voice acting is just plain meh, without the fantastic campy appeal of the DW games... (although the score is tremendous). Oh, and the achievements are some of the worst I've ever seen - can't be too many other games where you can get 150 points merely for starting a new character (14 out of 17 are for collecting items which you can get three of with every new game).

But I'm still enjoying myself, and while there's not much here for anyone who didn't like the demo, it's definitely got a bit more to offer than Koei's regular franchises. Might post some more impressions once I get a bit further, but for now, it's entertaining enough. I'm not sure I'd give it Edge's 8/10, but I can see how someone could be that enthusiastic.

Comment

I picked this up recently too, and I'm really enjoying it. Pretty much everything Eight Rooks says is correct, so I won't bother repeating anything, aisde from this - the music is breathtakingly beautiful. After the OTT soundtracks seen in other Koei games I was expecting to play this with the sound turned down, but the score is wonderful and I've even gone as far as to order the CD from PlayAsia. Stunning stuff.

Not sure if you know or not Eight Rooks, but the music was done by a Western artist. If you drop onto the official UK Bladestorm site they have a music player, and it's credited to Jamie Christoperson. I think the choice is a good one, as Jamie has given the game a really authentic sound.
                          Last edited by Duddyroar; 13-12-2007, 08:35.

Comment

The comedy physics deserve a mention, too - comic in a good sense, not unlike F.E.A.R.'s OTT backflips under a shotgun blast. Part of the reason the combat feels so good despite you not physically doing much of anything is every offensive action seems to carry some real weight. Even your character hacking their way through the melee sends people reeling and staggering every which way. Cavalry charges are sickeningly painful despite Bladestorm having no blood - conversely, seeing a unit of lancers charge a row of pikemen and go down also makes me wince and giggle at the same time. Also, though the game is very obviously an evolution of Dynasty/Samurai Warriors in that you typically end up with a huge crowd of men pressing in on one target like a school of fish... the melees, too, seem far more realistic here. It takes work to force your unit through a crush of a couple of hundred men in order to take out a particular squad leader.

Hilariously, once someone's unhorsed their mount actually becomes a separate object - the ragdolls or animations or whatever don't seem that complex but riderless mounts are still very much present in the gameworld. I was creased up laughing fighting one of the camel units (yes, you heard me) in a giant crush when my men took out the squad leader and his mount promptly went crowd-surfing.

Comment

Yeah gotta agree there. When combat becomes heated it's often hard to see what's going on thanks to the hundreds of bodies being thrown skyward!

And as you say some of the special attacks hit with sickening force...I especially like the 'Sword Wave' special that the foot soldiers have, where it sends a shockwave along the floor that hurls enemies skywards...reminds me of Lagnrisser/Warsong!

Comment

Working...
                              X