Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so drifting is a bad idea then?

Comment

Drifting's good. Drifting will get you some Kudos points.

Comment

The problem is, as soon as I start drifting, I fly around the corner and spin out, or just smash into the wall.

Damn Outrun and just allowing you to pummel the brake and then teh accelorator and fly around corners.

I want to like PGR, I really do, but after playing the first 3 and ramming walls, and not gettin to grips with it, can someoen give me tips please

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
          The problem is, as soon as I start drifting, I fly around the corner and spin out, or just smash into the wall.

Damn Outrun and just allowing you to pummel the brake and then teh accelorator and fly around corners.

I want to like PGR, I really do, but after playing the first 3 and ramming walls, and not gettin to grips with it, can someoen give me tips please
          Maybe try racing without drifting first, Gotham is an arcade game but the cars have far more realistic handling that the likes of Outrun etc.

You want to work out the racing line for the track, typically get yourself to the outside of the turn so you can take the corner as close to a straight line as possible. Make sure you brake in good time and get practice at learning braking distances. When you've braked to a speed that should let you get through the corner start turing (you should still be on the throttle but NOT accelerating) and aim for the corners apex. When you pointing at it and can clearly see the exit from the corner you can accelerate out of it .

I think the basic principle in racing is called "Slow-In, Fast Out" or something.

After you've got the basics of racing lines sorted you can start playing around with drifting and earning Kudos!

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

That helps a TREMENDOUS amount, thanks so much. When I finish work, going home to play more demo, to get to grips before it arrives tomorrow morning

So when you say hold down the throttle and not accelerate, you mean don't speed up, just a constant speed?

Sorry I don't drive in real life, so not sure on that :P (and I'm also blonde)

But I'll definately give it a good go damn it!

Comment

And remember that if you accelerate or brake mid-corner in these powerful cars, "something" will usually happen as you're de-stabilising the car basically. With the rear wheel drive cars, that will usually mean the back end starts to slide and before you know it you will be spinning out. So maybe that's why you're spinning out?

The racing line as described above is the quickest line round the track and will be neat and tidy. Once you get the hang of that, you can then move on to drifting which is basically making the back end the car step out on purpose, controlling the skid and drifting round the corner sideways for lots of kudos points. Try going in to some corners far too fast and you'll feel the back end of the car starting to break away from you. You want to steer the opposite way to control it and use the throttle to hold the drift.

Sorry, sounds complicated. Get the hang of what Flockheart describes first and then drifting should be a breeze.

Comment

I will do, thanks so much

Maybe I'll actually have the balls to do some online games once I get the hang of it.

How idiotic would I look flying into every corner as I go? lol. So gonna leave the online mode til I get to grips (literally!)

Comment

That helps a TREMENDOUS amount, thanks so much. When I finish work, going home to play more demo, to get to grips before it arrives tomorrow morning

So when you say hold down the throttle and not accelerate, you mean don't speed up, just a constant speed?

Sorry I don't drive in real life, so not sure on that :P (and I'm also blonde)

But I'll definately give it a good go damn it!

Yeah you want to be using the throttle to hold a constant speed and don't accelerate until you can see that you can exit. Stupid mistake I used to make was coming completely off the throttle as I turned, which in essence meant i was coasting round the corner . The constant throttle helps pull/push (depending on the type of car) the car round the bend and set you up to accelerate out of it.

Stick with this for a while and you should start to get a feel for the cars and then naturally I think you'll start understanding how to drift them for Kudos. I love Outrun2 but when you drift a corner perfectly in Gotham, the cars front end six inches from the crash barrier I think the feeling of satisfaction beats it! - If only I could do it consistantly! Remember typically you'll be faster not drifting though!

Edit: Also make sure you stick to the slower cars first, when you practice it should make the learning experience much less frustrating!
                  Last edited by Flockheart; 11-10-2007, 10:29.

Comment

ok, retard question. which button is the "throttle"? lol

Comment

ok, retard question. which button is the "throttle"? lol
                      The accelerater, the right trigger on the default control setup! - The one that makes the car go forward!!!

Comment

lol sorry i got confused, you said to not accelerate but use the throttle o.O

Comment

lol sorry i got confused, you said to not accelerate but use the throttle o.O
                          It's ok sorry for not being clear, it's an analogue trigger so you want to be squeezing it enough to maintain you speed but not so hard that the car accelerates.

Comment

oh ok lol :P thanx

Comment

Working...
                            X