God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) [Demo]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) [Demo]

So the special edition demo has started to go out to people in the States and of course it's out there for people who rely on other means to obtain it.

First of all, I took some screenshots until my Memory Stick ran out of space for them. This takes it about a third of the way through the demo and the last three are linked because they might be minor spoilers for those who want to be surprised when they get it, although I think the scene was on the 1Up Show a while back.

Suffice to say it looks unbelievable for a PSP game, and the scope of a couple of later scenes is as big as the PS2 versions. It can chug when loading a new area and a bit when there's a lot (and I mean a lot) going on at once, but it's remarkably close to the PS2 games and is running on a handheld, after all.

They seem to have done a decent job of transposing the controls onto fewer buttons, with the only downside being that they've had to double up a couple of things. Evasive rolling requires you to hold both shoulder buttons and move the nub, and casting spells (there's one in the demo) is handled by holding R and pressing the corresponding face button, for example.

And if anyone's wondering, the big event enemy at the beginning to GOW's Hydra and GOW2's Colossus is a huge

basilisk

Last edited by NekoFever; 18-10-2007, 12:55.

Just played this myself, had it sitting on my hard drive for a couple of days.

It's pretty good, i had a lot of fun with it, had no problems with the controls either, everything seemed intuitive. Only thing was when you had to walk over the tiny plank...that bit i didn't feel like i was fully in control, i slipped off once but that's it.

Other than that, i'll be getting this when it comes out (which is when btw? )

Comment

Hoping to get my PSP sometime today. How do I get this demo? Looks brilliant!

Comment

Just played the demo today and I'm really impressed with it. For a PSP game the amount of stuff going on both 'centre stage' and in the background is pretty amazing.

I haven't played GOW2 but it stacks up very well against the original. It really feels like a fully fledged GOW game rather than a lite version.

I was a bit dubious about well this would control on the PSP but the transition seems to be pretty painless tbh. The only bit where it comes a bit unstuck is going over the plank Synthesthesia mentioned, but hopefully the devs will either tweak this or keep these sections to a minimum.

A really good demonstration of what the PSP is capable of (in the right hands).

Comment

Working...
        X