Naruto Rise of a Ninja [360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naruto Rise of a Ninja [360]

First off I should state that I have NEVER seen the anime so absolutely everything is new and fresh to me.

Also straight away let me get one thing out of the way, this game looks stunning! There is also very little loading (it streams it would appear) unless you "fast travel" (which so far has only appeared when you complete a long mission and don't feel like traipsing all the way back on yourself) but you don't ever HAVE to fast travel anyway.

It's a combination of many types of games, it's an adventure game first and foremost but it has lots of platform elements and once you unlock (quite early on so I won't bother to spoiler this) the double jump, the village really opens itself up to you a bit. The fighting is almost seperate from the main game though, if you have a fight it will come up with a battle screen saying "Naruto VS <insert opponents name>" and then goes back to the battles,
    which is (so far) always one on one. The fights are basically a mini version of any 3D fighter.

It's fairly kind to you as it's hard to die, or lose a battle. You will get KO'd but the game uses "memory clips" which when you DO get KO'd you can use (memory clips are awarded when you do major story bits, I have three so far). You select which memory clip you want to use and tap A like crazy, you get between 3-5 seconds to tap, which replenishes your health and jutso bar accordingly. The time you get is relevent to the memory clip as well, some are 3, some 4 and some give you 5 seconds. Once you've used them that's it, you have to go back to a master and PAY cash to get it restored, so it doesn't mean you can just mash buttons and think "well I'm not gonna lose anyway" because you can.

There really is a lot to do in the game, fetch missions, collections missions, mini games (ramen delivery, hide and seek) which opens itself up gradually as well. I've played nearly 3 hours (maybe more) and there really isn't much story development so far.

Looking at my stats the game doesn't seem very long, but it's possible the missions get longer and harder, I honestly don't know!

The "jutsu" moves are usable inside battles AND outside, in fact you need to use them to progress in missions sometimes. They are activated by holding left trigger and doing the commands. The commands are done on both left AND right sticks and have two moves each. The first one for example is UP and UP on the left and right (still holding LT) following by left and right on the sticks at the same time...you then release the LT when the on screen
    indicator (a half moon type shape) tells you to do so. Some of these then give you a QT button push session, if you hit them they do great damage but you have to be pretty quick.

The "sexy jutso" is amusing, can be used in battle for confusion or for one of the side missions in the game (make the lovelorn villagers happy) and it basically makes Naruto transform into a woman in a bikini for a brief few moments which makes the lovelorn villagers faint!

There really is a lot to do and outside of the main game you can go online and play a versus match against anyone, or do a tournement, though the infrastructure for the tournaments might disappoint people as I can't see a way of creating one, rather it's an in built thing that you meet people as you go up the ladder.

Achievement wise I've not got one yet, not one. It looks like they may all come together but not for a long while, so don't expect a quick 1000.

I'd very much reccommend this though, it looks lovely and plays nicely. I've only two complaints so far :

1. Camera! It's not as bad as hundreds of other games out there but the freeform nature of the platforming means that it occasionally gets obscured by a tree or some leaves, which is irritating and sometimes means you have to have blind faith with your leaves.

2. People not dying! Now this is a personal issue, most probably won't mind. You take part in a battle with a boss, and you win. So they're defeated right? Right...? No. "Hohohoho did you think you'd beat me that easily?" Well yeah, I did, cos y'know, it said "KO" over your head, you went down like a sack of **** and stayed down? Nope, you'll face him again at some point. Even early on when you are forced to battle your friends, you "KO" them, but they then take the piss "I went easy on you, I'm just warming up"...NO, YOU WERE ****ING LAID OUT SON, THERE WAS DRIBBLE COMING OUT YOU UNCONCIOUS MOUTH!!

It's a very silly thing, it's like the bloody A-team in that respect.

Whilst I may be angry about them (number 2 really, number 1 really isn't that bad) they are incredibly MINOR flaws that really really don't matter.

So yeah, what I'm saying really is that on "first play" (2 sessions, 3 hours) I'd reccommend buying this!
    Last edited by Jebus; 31-10-2007, 16:40.

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
    2. People not dying! Now this is a personal issue, most probably won't mind. You take part in a battle with a boss, and you win. So they're defeated right? Right...? No. "Hohohoho did you think you'd beat me that easily?" Well yeah, I did, cos y'know, it said "KO" over your head, you went down like a sack of **** and stayed down? Nope, you'll face him again at some point. Even early on when you are forced to battle your friends, you "KO" them, but they then take the piss "I went easy on you, I'm just warming up"...NO, YOU WERE ****ING LAID OUT SON, THERE WAS DRIBBLE COMING OUT YOU UNCONCIOUS MOUTH!!

It's a very silly thing, it's like the bloody A-team in that respect.
    pfft jebus... you never seen saturday morning cartoons?
    where the bad guy always wimps off after a battle, only to come back in next weeks episode ;p

But yeah, i'm liking the sound of this, as i like anime.
    It's just a shame that there's no JPN dub as we have been led to believe.
    There's going to be a downloadable JPN voices on marketplace soon after the game is released, even that might be for 1 vs 1 combat only :/

So the the rumour goes.
    Last edited by jimtendo; 31-10-2007, 17:19.

Comment

As I said mate, doesn't really break the game it's just a bit irritating.

It specifically says "KO" when you win, not "You Win" or something similar. Then the fat bastard boss is stood on a roof looking down taking the piss out of me, despite me just having given him a right royal pasting.

The amount of chatter in this game, I think you'd be missing something if you had Japanese only audio, because even with subtitles ON not everything is shown on screen.

The random "get away from me you little bully" or whatever from passing haters would be missed for a start.

I forgot to say, when the game starts there is a lot of clips from the anime (I presume) which goes into full screen and puts a frame around it on the sides...it tells the story from how it all came about so to speak!

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
        "I went easy on you, I'm just warming up"...NO, YOU WERE ****ING LAID OUT SON, THERE WAS DRIBBLE COMING OUT YOU UNCONCIOUS MOUTH!!

That was very funny, where did you get this? i'm defo going to get it soon and it doe's sound really good.

Comment

heh point two has Naruto it written all over it, "oh hes dead . . . . oh no he was just testing him . . . " > procedes to transform etc etc You've got to love and hate it sometimes.

The point about the English audio, for people who have not seen the anime its slightly dissapointing they have not put in better subtitle support but as I know the story inside out voices will definately be left off!

Have you been able to d/l the Japanese voices yet? Basically do they apply to the main game?

Glad by your postive response, hopefully the fighting lives up to that of the great ps2 games

Comment

There's no content available yet apart from some themes.

There is an exclusive content option on the main menu that you have to link your gamertag to and create an account, it wasn't online yesterday, but it is today, didn't get chance to do it though so not sure what it is...it mentions "exclusive in game content" though.

I get the feeling after an extended play session I could go to bed with "Hahaha you didn't think I'd go down so easy did you..." in my head!

Comment

Aside from this and GH3 I've played nothing else today. This is a BRILLIANT game it really is.

Even when I went on a really long mission, finished it and thought "Oh bloody hell I'm gonna have to track ALLLLL the way back to the village" the game suprises me, nope, I didn't have to do that, it let me warp back

Just a wonderful experience all round so far.

Comment

I've played a solid 2 hours so far, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Really solidly made from what I can see, the adventuring is fairly run of the mill stuff, do task A for villager X, collect 20 coins etc (although the coin collection is reminiscent of Crackdown bizzarely, will the rooftop hunting) but there is nothing to frustrate as it controls well and the graphics are fantastic, really really pretty with not a jag in sight and no real slowdown.

The fighting itself is pretty fun, feeling very similar to the cube Naruto fighting games if a little less frantic. The special moves all involve a small minigame or QTE segment, which is always cool to do.

My only real complaint so far is the narrative, I've never seen/read naruto before but the editing of the anime segments totally butchers what I can assume are very dramatic moments from the series and more often than not make very little sense.

Also the voices, oh dear. There is always some snobbishness about english anim&#233; dubs, but half the time it is people just being sticklers for anything japanese. Not this time, the voices are atrocious in every sense of the word.
                If you are a fan and are thinking about buying this game, I suggest you hold out till the DLC pack is out. If you can stick the voices, then it is definately worth a look in now.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 01-11-2007, 22:30.

Comment

Been playing this for about 8 hours straight and at this point, for me atleast, the game becomes extremely frustrating. Boss/Sub Boss fights have become ridiculous. It reminds me of the old SF2 days, if the game wants to win, it will.

I`ve just had a fight with a character that will remain nameless, we had a decent battle, he KO`d me but I left him with 2mm of health. I then used my last miniclip thing and thought I was going to smash him up, what happened next was tantamount to rape. Straight away he did a Jutsu that I was doing well to avoid until the last second when he got a perfect with it and as if that wasn`t enough he then had full rage and finished me off, what a ****ing joke.

I`ve had a bout 20 goes and I can`t beat this ****. I`ve been pulling out substitute jutsu`s out of my arse over and over but the ****er just repeatedly hits me with unblockable attacks.

I don`t know how much I can take of this game. In the last hour I`ve wanted to destroy my controller, the game, my 360, my TV or just go out into the street and go postal on some poor unsuspecting bastard! If there was ever a game that gave me the grage (gaming rage), it`s Naruto.

Comment

I know how you feel... and i'm not even that far into the game.
                    I think it was the first major fight, which was with
                    and i wittled him down to below 25&#37; health. I had had a couple of memory clips left, so i thought it'll be easy.

No chance.

I beat him up some more, and then he proceeded to absolutely rape me, Daigo vs Justin Wong Evo 2004 style, where he made me use up my remaining memory clips and no way i could touch him.
                    Last edited by jimtendo; 02-11-2007, 06:12.

Comment

It`s funny though because you can actually see it coming but you know you can`t do anything about it.

The round will probably start with you getting half your health depleated by unstoppable attacks, you`ll then find a combo that works against that opponant whilst doing substitution jutsu`s until the bastard is on his last legs.

They will then start up with an unblockable to knock you down so you can`t interupt their high level jutsu which will inevitably send you to within touching distance of being KO`d and the ****er will follow that up with with either rage (which I have alot of at the moment) or more unblockable attacks to finish.

It`s a real shame though because I was enjoying that game upto that point. I suppose it`s late now and I`m tired. I`ll try again tomorrow but if this fella tries to violate me again I`ll be selling this game.

Comment

What type of game is this then? Is it a 3rd person adventure then goes into fighting 2d or what? Its one game Ive totally missed

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
                          What type of game is this then? Is it a 3rd person adventure then goes into fighting 2d or what? Its one game Ive totally missed
                          Kinda, yeah. It's got RPG elements too though, like increase your health, chakra, get better techniques etc.

Comment

I thought I`d have one more crack at my nemesis last night before bed and I beat him but guess what? You only have to beat the ****er again imeadiately after!!

This game has got to go, I`ve not been this angry whilst playing games for years!

Comment

Ugh, frustratingly cheap bosses, ftl.

I was moderately interested in this for a little bit there as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X