No announcement yet.

Call of Duty 4 - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason I was expecting something other than COD2 in modern times.
    A stupid thing to presume considering the game's name :P
    Perhaps it picks up (and hopefully gets more difficult) as the first 2 levels on veteran were over in like 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      Perhaps it picks up (and hopefully gets more difficult) as the first 2 levels on veteran were over in like 20 minutes.
      My thoughts exactly after having a quick blast last night, perhaps i have been spoiled by Halo 3 and Orange Box, but i just couldn't be arsed.

I think I'm all FPS'ed up (or should that be FPS'ed off?)

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I was really enjoying it.

Comment

I actualy played through COD 2 again leading up to this and I'm actualy well impressed by how different and better it is. Yes it is still Call of Duty I wouldnt expect anyone to think otherwise considering its name, but they have taken the core gameplay and expanded on it and molded it into somthing much more solid and cohesive, the story is pretty well implemented and as you get further into it there are a few really awesome twists, so from that standpoint it is quite different to COD2.

COD2 also often seemed to me like you were constantly doing the same few objectives over and over again. But here, becuase of the narrative and way the game is structured you never do feel like youre doing the same objectives over and over again. To me its a lot better of an experience for it. Helps that the thing is constantly making your jaw drop too.

The levels are really short though.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 09-11-2007, 19:06.

Comment

I think I personally prefer realistic type shooters. Plus I prefer my linear FPS games to be shortish and sweet. This is ace.
            Last edited by hudson; 09-11-2007, 23:58.

Comment

The ting I love about COD is that one more try factor that it has due to the overly scripted nature of it's encounters, the way that you can approach the same situation from a different angle and be one step ahead of what the enemy are going to do . This is what ruined COD3 for me, they gave the enemies proper AI which ruined the formula.

In the later levels do you get away from your squad more often, my invincible team mates owned everyone before I did.

Comment

The ting I love about COD is that one more try factor that it has due to the overly scripted nature of it's encounters, the way that you can approach the same situation from a different angle and be one step ahead of what the enemy are going to do . This is what ruined COD3 for me, they gave the enemies proper AI which ruined the formula.

In the later levels do you get away from your squad more often, my invincible team mates owned everyone before I did.
                Yeah, well I dont really want to spoil much, but lets just say theres plenty of variety to the game. Some levels deffinitley have a few differnt options on for you too. Well as much as COD2 ever did anyway.

Its the fact that the whole thing seems to get more and more intense thats its biggest asset though, I'd imagine that by the end of act one most people will be hooked for this very reason. To me COD2 wasnt as well paced as the first COD game on the PC in that respect, COD2 kind of fluctuated from great set peices to less impresesive ones to everything in between. This starts out with great levels and just gets greater, though i havent quite finished it yet, probabaly have a crap bit now ive said that.
                Last edited by rmoxon; 09-11-2007, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hogg View Post
                  Which was the demo level, amnion?
                  Speak thy name stranger! Nobody calls me that anymore

The demo was the bog level, not far in.

Comment

Feel same as you EvilBoris its just great how you can do things differently. Ive had the one more go on one section for last hour then had to force myself off to eat. I did it in bit I got stuck on in the end by flanking back around a building but I had 3 choices to choose which I find good.

Im suprised how realistic this game feels to R6/GRAW with the weapons and bullets etc.. its not particualry felt like a gung ho FPS since I started playing it (and for me even the great COD2 had abit of Serious Sam zerg to the slaughter I dont count COD3 as its crap and farmed out to a different company).

I think the only niggle I can give this is the push to checkpoint or infinite spawn (at least thats whats happening now on Veteran where I keep going). Usually I hate the spawn monster on FPS I find scripted stuff like that a serious flaw (Id rather have a set limit and pick them off or do it tactically until all dead on a FPS then move on) BUT I have to admit it hasnt bugged me yet and it should because Ive literally spent over 2hours on one room due to it on veteran. I just wash it away as it plays so damn good and as alot of the infinite spawns are connected so far to rooms or a cover point I dont mind it so much (ie kill aload run like crazy then Im fine).

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                      Well done IW on getting PS3 version spot on. Played both versions first two missions and they're the same. Feckin great game by the way.
                      did you notice any differences in gameplay or controls? do the PS3 analog sticks work well? also, has the PS3 version real-time lighting and shadowing? can you eliminate light sources and is your own characters's shadow in place? thanks in advance.

Comment

I predict the answer to be NO,YES,NO,NO and NO

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                          did you notice any differences in gameplay or controls? do the PS3 analog sticks work well? also, has the PS3 version real-time lighting and shadowing? can you eliminate light sources and is your own characters's shadow in place? thanks in advance.
                          Gameplay controls are the same. [EDIT] Sorry, the triggers on the PS3 pads are nades.
                          The analog sticks work well. I like the way once clicked in to run you don't have to stay clicked in, as long as you are pushing 100% in the direction you want to run, it will keep running until you decrease.

Real-time lighting... now you'll have to excuse me on these graphical questions as I'm no graphic buff. I can tell you that when I entered the mission that is the second time you are Jackson the US soldier I noticed the lighting adjusting from orange to reddy colours.. if I remember correctly that is and if I get what you mean... which I probably don't

As for shadows in place... erm not sure what that means... if you mean does your own character have his own shadow, then I can't remember.

If you're really stuck on which console version to get, then I'd choose the 360 version simply due to Live and the 360's dashboard functionality i.e. Joining friends etc. On looks alone, I'm really hard pushed to find any differences right now.
                          Last edited by hudson; 09-11-2007, 21:40.

Comment

Anyone esle getting problems with the lobby system? Seems for me abit like Halo3 and too quick. I got dropped when I joined a game with Yoshi earlier (I think the host quit) and he gave us an invite later but by time Id quit out of single player (and Im talking 15seconds tops) it wouldnt let me in. Same with it saying sometimes that the history is too old or something and that you either have to restart live or quit out message? Its lag free when I play it which is perfect but its made me scream at the telly abit as I wanted to keep playing lol. Solo still loving it and just this second started on Act 2. I think Ive clocked 7hours already more or less so pretty much bollox that its a 5hour game on Veteran, you wish lol Anyway decided im off back to watch Black Hawk Down on Blueray as its gave me my craving for it

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                              Gameplay controls are the same. [EDIT] Sorry, the triggers on the PS3 pads are nades.
                              The analog sticks work well. I like the way once clicked in to run you don't have to stay clicked in, as long as you are pushing 100% in the direction you want to run, it will keep running until you decrease.

Real-time lighting... now you'll have to excuse me on these graphical questions as I'm no graphic buff. I can tell you that when I entered the mission that is the second time you are Jackson the US soldier I noticed the lighting adjusting from orange to reddy colours.. if I remember correctly that is and if I get what you mean... which I probably don't

As for shadows in place... erm not sure what that means... if you mean does your own character have his own shadow, then I can't remember.

If you're really stuck on which console version to get, then I'd choose the 360 version simply due to Live and the 360's dashboard functionality i.e. Joining friends etc. On looks alone, I'm really hard pushed to find any differences right now.
                              well, i've already got the 360 version. but online gaming doesn't seem to work for me as i'm finding zero games. so why not going for the version which offers the best SP experience? which will presumably be the PC version. but since i've heard that the PS3 version was developed independantly there might be chances that it does have better lighting and sound.

regarding realtime lighting/shadowing: just try if you can eliminate light sources. or just watch whether characters or objects moving in front of them cast shadows. but if your character doesn't cast any shadows then i predict it's the same as on 360.

oh, and does the PS3 version have sound fx for the ground hitting ammo? this is incomprehensibly missing from the 360 version.

Comment

Your character doesn't cast any shadow on ps3 either.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "ground hitting ammo" sounds. You mean sound feedback for when shooting the floor?

also, seems PS3 online cod4 has broke. A 'Downloading Settings' message is displayed when choosing to play online followed by an Activision error code or a 'You need to be signed in to psn to play online' message even though you are already signed in.

Seems many are getting this problem over at the CoD4 forums.

I could play online earlier, but not anymore.
                                Last edited by hudson; 09-11-2007, 23:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X