Game centre CX: Arino no chosenjou JPN NDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game centre CX: Arino no chosenjou JPN NDS

This turned up today & what an unusual & fun game it is, It's sort of a 80's retro compilation of several shooting & games & other misc games. On the bottom of the screen is your living room & on the top of the screen is the view of your tv.

The main character is Arino & he gives you famicom carts & challenges you to complete the certain missions he gives you, he's rather a freaky looking guy who is a polygon floating head that flys around on a cross pad.

The first famicom carts your given is a shooter called cosmic gate, it plays a lot like galaga. You can browse the manual & look at the cart & as you play a fan magazine will unlock. In each issue you unlock are secret tips & fun bits of info & trivia.

There are 4 challenges Arino will set you for each game, for example in cosmic gate you have to clear 5 stages, open 2 warp points, destroy the large asteroid in the bonus round, get 200000 points. Sucessfully completing all the challenges gets you another game to play.

So far there looks like lots of reply & lots to unlock, im suprisingly enjoying the challenges so far, i have unlocked the second famicom game which is called Haguruman & is a single screen platform game.

Last edited by importaku; 22-06-2008, 11:46.

This looks ace. How import friendly would you say it is?

Also - Cosmic Gate? Are you sure it's not Cosmo Gang (also by Namco)?

Comment

Theres quite a bit of text for the game history & the manual & game fan magazines. Plus theres the challanges that are in japanese too so you will struggle a bit if you dont know what to do to complete each challenge.

Nope the shooter is definately called cosmic gate, the enemies move like they do in galaga but that screen you posted does look uncannily similar

Comment

Isn't this based on some Japanese TV show or something, where that guy just plays through old games every week?

Comment

Originally posted by On The Edge of Insanity View Post
          Isn't this based on some Japanese TV show or something, where that guy just plays through old games every week?
          Yup just done some research & it is indeed based on a tv show, also found 2 reviews of the game that might give you more info on what its all about. Saves me typing up reams of text that nobody might read hehe.

Played the crap out of it today at lunchbreak & completed the second set of challenges which unlocked another game (Rally king) a top down racer. Seeing as working out the challenges are pretty hard if you cant read japanese heres the 4 challenges for each game. After completing all 4 challenges the full game unlocks in the main title menu.

COSMIC GATE
          1, Clear 5 stages
          2, Get through 2 warp gates (see notes)
          3, Destroy the huge asteroid in the asteroid zone.
          4, Get 200000 points

(notes) To get the warp gates you need to shoot the enemy thats flashing first as if you hit anything else the flashing will stop, once you hit one it will make a warp gate appear, keep shooting the gate until it pulls you in.

HAGURU MAN
          1, Jump on 2 ememies consecutively without touching the floor
          2, Clear level 3 only using jump to kill enemies
          3, Clear level 4 without losing a life
          4, Clear level 8

RALLY KING
          1, Drift boost twice
          2, Complete course 1 in 5th place or under
          3, Complete course 2 in 5th place or under
          4, Get 15000 points

STAR PRINCE
          1, Defeat first mid level boss on Lv 1
          2, Get 50000 points for a 1UP
          3, Clear level 2
          4, Get 250000 points

RALLY KING SP
          1, Complete course 1 without drifting
          2, Complete course 2 in under 2 min 28 seconds
          3, Get a turbo start (see notes)
          4, Clear course 3

(notes) Its just like in mario kart, if you hold in A just at the right bit as it counts down you will get a turbo start, i found if i hold a in just after 3 has gone, it seems to work but it will take a bit of timing.

HAGURU MAN 2
          1, Kill 2 enemies at once using the revolving screens.
          2, Collect 3 scrolls then hold Up & B
          3, Find Boss hiding behind doors (keep up held in to stay behind the door)
          4, Clear the 4th floor
          Last edited by importaku; 17-11-2007, 20:12.

Comment

Been playing solidly over the week/weekend & i finally unlocked all 8 games. Theres some pretty great gems in the games that are on the cart. My fave is star prince its a very good shooter.

All of them are actually pretend famicom games with pretend manuals too. The challenges Arino sets you make playing through them a lot of fun & when you have done them all he sets you one final challenge which is to fully complete all 8 games & see the endings.

No idea what unlocks after all 8 games are done but its going to take a while.

This game pretty much caught me by suprise as i hadnt heard anything about it till i aw it released, its turned out to be one of the most fun ds games i have played in a while.

Comment

Well totally finished the last challenge now which was to complete all the games & see the ending screens, unlocked the final mode really enjoyed doing it. Shame more people didn't bother trying this game as it's pretty fun.

My new mission is to get hold of a real copy of game fan magazine from the games centre cx museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Importaku
                Well totally finished the last challenge now which was to complete all the games & see the ending screens, unlocked the final mode really enjoyed doing it. Shame more people didn't bother trying this game as it's pretty fun.
                Well your description of the game as requiring Japanese knowledge was discouraging to say the least.

Comment

No longer an issue now as theres a full walkthrough for it on the net so its playable by anyone.

Comment

this is getting a USA release undr the name retrogame challenge

wow - i didnt see that coming

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                      this is getting a USA release undr the name retrogame challenge

wow - i didnt see that coming
                      Getting? It's already out.

Comment

Did you just get all your game center cx dvds off amazon jp, jason? that must have cost a bomb

Comment

Me wants this game. I'm a bit of a fan of the show and the game looks incredible. Time to dust off the ds with something new. Anyone know which is the cheapest place to get the us version?

Comment

VGP or Tronix, I suppose.

Comment

This shipped the other day, really looking forward to getting it.
                              It's such a shame the show hasn't got a proper release here though!

Comment

Working...
                              X