Orcs & Elves NDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orcs & Elves NDS

This arrived from Play.com last week, but only just got round to actually playing it. Basically it's a strict dungeon crawler very much like Dungeon Master insofar as the tile based movement and turn based combat/stat regen/events go.
    Unlike Dungeon Master this is a solo character crawl, no 4 man team here.

Based on a mobile 'phone game John Carmack from id has created a 3D engine from the ground up for the DS. This engine, whilst offering only forward, back, turn and strafe movement like DM, does so in a smooth scrolling manner.

Tongue firmly in cheek O&Es sets you off into a dungeon, no messing, off you go and gather loot, exp and cash to buy potions, armour 'n' stuff on the way. The entire game can be contolled using the pad and buttons, but using the stylus is the way to go, it just feels better.

Gameplay is very much DM, but also steals a lot form Steve Livingstone's adventure books when it comes to events and loot, for instance potions, which are a must if you're to avoid getting thumped, can be used only once and are in short supply around the dungeon making you think really hard about when, or not, to use them.

Only played 3 levels so far and I'm currently on a 'bonus' level which is proving rock hard...Need more potions and armour, and magic power. Bah.

Superb little game, didn't take long to finish though and I was just enjoying it too. Loads of nice little details and touches. It felt like an id game from start to finish, hope there's a sequel.

Comment

That reminds me I still have Etrian Odyssey to finish....
      Is it more or less difficult than EO?

Comment

Originally posted by steveb07 View Post
        That reminds me I still have Etrian Odyssey to finish....
        Is it more or less difficult than EO?
        Haven't played EO as yet, but it's on me list o' things to do. I'll venture O&E is much easier than EO though.
        Roll on DOOM RPG next, which can't be long in coming.

Comment

Working...
        X