Hot Wheels: Beat That!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Wheels: Beat That!

Picked this up yesterday in Gamestation for £24.99 (it's a budget £29.99 jobbie). Got the 360 version, it's also coming out on PC & Wii.

As you'd imagine it's a (from behind the car) racing game with Hot Wheels cars - over forty of them, from what I've seen so far, races vary from straight finish first jobs to Elimination type races (where person in last place every thirty seconds gets eliminates) to destroy three enemies before they destroy you. I think there are sixteen different tracks - each with a couple of variations.

You can pick up various weapons on your travels such as missile launchers, fog etc. these add an extra element and strategy, but pleased to say even if you get hit a couple of times you're not out of action for long and the race is not over.

As you work your way through the game you are awarded "Flames" there are 780 to get in total. You can get a maximum of five per race, three for winning and two for completing additional tasks (such as gaining 2000 drift points etc). Your progress is very much dependent on getting these Flashes as X amount are needed to unlock additional races and areas - also difficulty levels, you are forced to start on Rookie and need 146 Flashes to unlock Normal !
    Races last anything from thirty seconds to just over five minutes.

It's one of those games where they force you to do the same races three times over (once on each difficulty) to complete it/get all the achievement points.

Car handling is obviously 110% arcade like, seen lots of people complaining of being lost in tracks and not knowing where to go, not found this a problem myself.

For some reason (well probably the review score) there isn't much info/shots on this game on the web and I hadn't heard of it until about four weeks ago.

If you liked the Mad Tracks game on XBLA this will be right up your street, it's quite similar - unfortunately there is no Live play/leaderboards.

Can't see it scoring above a four or five on most sites, but if you like this genre/Hot Wheels you'll be able to enjoy some cheap fun.

EDIT: found this honest review while looking for some screenshots
    Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.
    Last edited by VR46; 08-12-2007, 17:36.
Working...
X