Peggle (PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peggle (PC)

I saw a bit of buzz, about this game, on another forum. They were not talking about what the game was, but saying how much fun it was to play and how much of a bargain it was in the popcap sale.

Since i had never heard of it, i decided to give it a go and happened upon one of the most addictive games i have played in 2007.

For those that do not know, Peggle is a kind of pinball/Bust-A-Move hybrid. The idea is to shoot your balls down the screen, hitting the orange pegs on the way. Hitting an orange peg, adds to your fever meter, this is just a score boost system. Once you have cleared the pegs, you move onto the next level. Sounds simple? Well it is, but there is other things that prevent you from hitting said orange pegs.

First up we have blue pegs, these cover the screen, and as you can imagine when you hit one, your ball bounces off the peg and reacts like it would on a pinball machine. Once you hit a blue peg, then it is removed from the level, after 5 seconds and only returns if you have to restart the level.

As well as blue pegs, we also have green pegs. These are removed in the same way the blue pegs are, however depending on the level, they also give some kind of powerup or bonus. These come in the form of help, such as multiball and changing the size of the catcher (i will get to that in a moment) at the bottom of the level.

As well as pegs you also have bricks, these are just like pegs but are bigger and usually form some sort of structure within the level. Again any orange bricks also have to be hit to clear the level.

As you can imagine, each level has its own unique design and objects in the level that may change the path of the ball.

As i touched on before, each level also has a catcher at the bottom. Should you shot your ball into it, it is retuned to the bank (giving a free go).

When you hit the final orange peg, or brick, you get a fever, giving your score X10 for everything you hit, before reaching the bottom of the screen. However, the pit at the bottom and the catcher, have been replaced with 5 holes with bonus points above them.

The game also has a puzzle mode and a multiplayer mode that i am yet to explore.

The game can be found for about ?4, or you can download a 15? level demo for free directly from popcap.

This has got quite a ridiculous cult following, it's a lot of luck but the way it's presented is just superb.

Everything you do is rewarded in some way, a little jingle, partical effect etc. It's great

Comment

in terms of hours play per £ this is my 2007 GoTY.

everybody who sees it loves it.

think its unfair to say itts lots of luck, there is some but as you get better you pick off all sorts of skill shots

cool game

Comment

Awesome game, i spent hours on this game.....might have to start it again.

Comment

I thought it was lame. I was advised to check it out, but the randomness and lack of skill needed put me off. I got better results with my eyes shut some of the time. Totally bored me with more thought put into visual and sound effects than actually being a game. If you like bust-a-move, you'll probably hate this.

Edit: I only played the demo, but I presumed it was a good representation of the main game.
          Last edited by charlesr; 30-12-2007, 09:06.

Comment

Ok there's a small bit of skill involved but let's face it, anything beyond two bounces and no one's going to be predicting where it goes!

Comment

I've also found myself strangely addicted to Peggle these past few days/weeks. I just sit there clicking away with a silly grin on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                I thought it was lame. I was advised to check it out, but the randomness and lack of skill needed put me off. I got better results with my eyes shut some of the time. Totally bored me with more thought put into visual and sound effects than actually being a game. If you like bust-a-move, you'll probably hate this.

Edit: I only played the demo, but I presumed it was a good representation of the main game.
                The demo is a good representation of the game. I do not feel that it lacks skill, as some of the later levels do require you to think and to use skill, rather than just blindly shooting the ball.

What you have to remember its a simple popcap game. It costs about ?4 and i think it is dam good value for what you get. I have bought games at ?20, ?30 and even ?40 that i did not get that level of enjoyment from. The game is not setting out to be the next Bioshock here. It is what it is and it does it very well in my opinion.

Comment

DAMN YOU MOLE !!!

This is more addictive than crack .

I think its a clever mix of skill and luck. Later levels are impossible to finish without forward planning and thinking out the first 2 bounces the balls are gonna take. Great little game i must say.

Comment

I think its classy too. Was playing with it for ages when i got it with my pc orange box.

Comment

Great news Peggle fans

PopCap co-founder John Vechey has said Peggle is heading to DS, resulting in random outbursts of love.
                      He confirmed its existence to PocketGamer at the Casual Connect conference in Amsterdam, and believes it has the potential to be the next Bejeweled. Unfortunately he said nothing else.

Comment

I rinsed my entire ipod battery clocking this in bed the other night - addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole View Post
                          The demo is a good representation of the game. I do not feel that it lacks skill, as some of the later levels do require you to think and to use skill, rather than just blindly shooting the ball.
                          Does it really take skill or is the game just good at giving the illusion that skill was used, for maximum addiction? I can't see how you'd introduce skill to something so random. How can you use skill, as an example.

Comment

Working...
                          X