No announcement yet.

JPN WII Shikigami No Shiro III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Wii build arrived today and gave it a quick go, just to test the characters and how the game feels.

First impression is that I prefer this game to SnSII; graphics are nicer, enemy patterns seem to point out both strengths and weaknesses of all characters and bosses alternate between various modes giving the player a good challenge.

I'm also glad that Aksys actually spent money to hire a translator rather than using Babelfish like the second game, although some parts sound a bit strange..."Space is an ocean of space!", shouts Reika Kirishima after defeating the first boss, who on multiple occasions breaks...no, shatters the fourth wall telling the player that she was the fourth boss in the previous game. The script is fun and most voices are decent, not good, but they can turned off if you can't stand them; no option for Japanese dubbing.

All in all, the shooter phase is good. Upon discovering of new character or boss portraits the game unlocks them for your viewing pleasure in a small art gallery; there's also music test and "story mode" that recaps every character/boss or level intermission.
    There's the option for TATE mode, which unfortunately doesn't rotate the menus, meaning that you need to rotate the screen to navigate the bonus section.

Unfortunately Arcade and Director's Cut mode can be switched only in the option menu, but 1P or Dramatic mode (where you chose two characters and press a button to switch between them) are accessible from the main menu.

So far so good, will surely put more hours into this.

Comment

£17.49 on VG+! Didnt even notice it had come out - order placed.
      Thanks for the write up briareos_kerensky.

Comment

No prob. Rather than trying to master one character I've played a bit in the Dramatic mode. This mode allows a single player to chose two characters and switch between them whenever he wants, but they share bombs/hi tensions and lives...probably it was the very bad translation of SnSII, but SnSIII script is much lighter and funnier, although I still think that translation isn't exactly perfect.
        However the game is fun. Third level is where the real fun begins even if "piloted" parts aren't particularly good and require too much knowledge of the incoming patterns to pull through it without losing lives.
        Still have to try out how's the remix version, I'll do it once I'll be able to finish the original game.

Comment

Did the US version get brought over into PAL land by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
            Did the US version get brought over into PAL land by any chance?
            Not as far as I know.

Cant remember ever having seen it in the shops or listed on any UK sites.

Shame as it's a pretty good shooter (I've got the 360 version)

Neil

Comment

Hello, I've gone back to this (on 360) after Death Smiles peaked my interest in shooters a bit. Can I ask a base and crass question - how do I unlock the "Scenario Complete" achievements in this, is it basically for clearing the game as each of the 8 characters? And is it possible on "Very Easy"? I cleared it once on Very Easy but nothing seemed to happen. I'm playing on Normal now, and just about managing, but level 3 is a right tricky little sausage and I'm not sure my aging hands can cope.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic...b3ee6223c5adad

Doesn't mention any particular difficulty.
                Yeah, I was looking at that, and it does seem like it can be done on any difficulty, but nothing unlocked....

Maybe I just need to man up.

Comment

Just play it long enough to unlock Free Play and you can credit-feed your way to glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
                    Just play it long enough to unlock Free Play and you can credit-feed your way to glory.
                    Ah ha! How long do you have to play to get Free Play? 10 hours?

Comment

Yeah, something like that.

Comment

Anyone got a translation of this on 360?

Comment

Working...
                        X