Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - Full game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - Full game

The demo for this is out on the Korean marketplace and is something I'd been watching for a while.

The game is a dungeon crawling (there are lots of exterior locations but they feel like dungeons) hack and slash game where you level up your character as you carve a bloody trail through the many opposing enemies.

The combat is really simple, you assign weapons to the X and A buttons which account for your left and right hands respectively. Weapons range from single handed maces and swords to huge hammers, crossbows and shields. You also have skills mapped to B and RT and in one character's case these are fireballs and explosions.

Your character has a constantly recharging SP bar. Each time you swing your weapon or use a skill you use up SP. Some weapons use up less and have a recharge modifier but some weapons use up more of it. For example, a small mace will use up very little and helps recharge the meter so you can swing away to your heart's content. However a large warhammer will drain it really quickly and you will only get a few powerful swings before you need to let it recharge.

You also have over the shoulder aiming for the ranged weapons in the game. This works fairly well considering it feels tacked on.

Your character gains experience as you kill enemies and this allows you to add to three stat bars; Health, SP and Luck (which modifies in game actions).

You also pick up better weapons and items off dead enemies which range from gold to health potions to weapons and armour. You will often find yourself switch between these items as you pick up incrementally better items with every other fight.

Items and arms can be combined to create unqiue items with different properties at the various Idols found throughout the levels. These act as shops and as a means to combine the items together.

Enemies attack as a group and generally mill around you, randomly stabbing you until you cave their head in. The combat is unremarkable but I can imagine it gets deeper as more interesting enemies are introduced and you get cooler weapons.

While the game is good in singlee player, I can't help but think how awesome it will be in the four player online coop that the full game contains. But I guess no one will buy it and I'll just feel lonely.

I am a sucker for games with lots of enemies on screen so I am predisposed to like it. If you didn't enjoy Ninety Nine Nights then this possibly isn't for you. If you can be bothered, I recommend getting a Korean account (though the demo is in full english so I guess we will see a demo soon) and giving it a try. I enjoyed it enough to go and order it right now.
    Last edited by chopemon; 03-02-2008, 09:53.

I doubt I'll bother to make a Korean account, but I'll probably give any PAL demo a shot. I like decent games with hundreds of enemies on screen at once - which rules out Ninety-Nine Nights - so I'm interested. I liked what I played of the two XBox games and I wouldn't mind seeing them in hi-res reinvented as an ARPG, so...

Comment

What's the engine like? I hope it's a LOT nicer than NNN.

It'll be interesting to see how the co-op works, since so many other devs moan that the up speed on most people's broadband isn't sufficient, and I'm presuming KUF will have hundreds of enemies onscreen.

Comment

I'm guessing it is the Ninety Nine Nights engine as I believe they made that (or have I got that wrong?).

They sure like their bloom. Sometimes it makes you chuckle just how much bloom they vomit at you.

It looks nice enough though.

Comment

Hmmm... I've played this a bit now and I don't think the demo's doing itself (ergo the game) any favours: for a start, they've chosen a level that looks EXACTLY the same as the miserable Ywa Ue Uar Forest from NNN, i.e. dull trees and an endless series of corridor-bunch of enemies-corridor encounters. The level of detail looks to be pretty much the same as NNN albeit without that nasty depth-of-field effect that was used previously, replaced with lots of bloom. It tears like a bitch though.

Mechanically, it's more interesting than the rather insipid chaining of NNN - this being KUF there's a fair bit more to item and weapon management. Weapons and armour become used and damaged and have to be replaced/repaired (at the big Buddha, where there's a trade system going on too), plus each weapon uses up a certain amount of SP (as Chops said) when utilised, in the same way that magical attacks eat up points. This can be a little frustrating at first when playing around with primary and secondary weapon combinations (because you think: why's my dude standing there with his katana up his ass when I'm trying to attack - basically, if you're using an "expensive" weapon, your guy will just stand there looking dumb until your gauge has replenished enough (obviously, this can be refilled quicker with potions and such) before you can attack with that weapon again).

The demo doesn't seem to offer any of the RTS-lite unit control of the previous KUFs, unless it does deeper in the demo than I played, or does with the other of the two characters on offer (I played with the elven-looking guy).

I only tarried with this for a few mins before going out, so soz for any errors.
          Last edited by anephric; 12-12-2007, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric View Post
            The demo doesn't seem to offer any of the RTS-lite unit control of the previous KUFs, unless it does deeper in the demo than I played, or does with the other of the two characters on offer (I played with the elven-looking guy).
            I don't think there is any. For an analogy, this is Diablo to Warcraft 3.

Comment

They said this one was more RPG orientated and less tactical.

Comment

Hmm. That's a bit disappointing. It's what gave it a bit of distinction. At the moment this seems quite bland and a bit disappointing.

Comment

It would have been better if they had made it so there are always four characters (in coop players could just drop in and out) and you can give them orders and level them up.

The environments should have been wider as well.

I ended up not ordering it as play asia are forcing you to use courier delivery for the awesome special edition and I want to see if other people will be getting it so I have some coop buddies.

Comment

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom Demo(360)

Well, after playing this I'm pretty disappointed and annoyed. I was hoping for something like Diablo, or Baldurs Gate because I've been praying a game like that was coming along soon - Hoping this would be it.
                    The demo gives me no motivation to buy the real thing, nothing about the story is mentioned and you just move around killing seemingly boring monsters who are plain awful at fighting. Tbh I stopped probably about half way through it and havnt played it since.
                    The way your inventory is set out is awful and how you equip weapons, why couldnt they simply do it like Diablo 2 LOD. I also think the whole SP is weird and would take a bit of getting used to.

But yeah, I doubt I'll buy this game, any thoughts guys?

Comment

See the first play thread here.

Comment

I guessed the world only needed one KUF thread so I changed the demo thread to be the full game.

I picked up the full game yesterday and very briefly hacked and slashed a few enemies. It is obviously exactly the same as the demo but I'm still enjoying it.

Has anyone else picked it up?

I have set up an online thread for it if people fancy some coop?

Comment

Working...
                        X